Nick Tanner's diary

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Nick Tanner

Nick Tanner's diary

Post by Nick Tanner »

Hello everybody

thought I'd just introduce myself to a group of like-minded people. I've been interested in butterflies for as long as I can remember; I grew up in east London playing on the bombsites which were covered in Wall Browns. In those days we used to dream about seeing a Speckled Wood, how things have changed!. I've only seen 40 species of butterfly in England, 37 of those in London but loads more in Europe (Two-tailed Pashas mobbing Red-rumped Swallows in a castle garden in Extremadura is an image that will stay with me for life). This year I made a resolution to see as many British butterflies as possible and started off by visiting the Glanville Fritillaries at Hutchingsons Bank on May 28th; they were extremely obliging, I think I picked a good day, some photos attached

Nick
Attachments
Small Blue
Small Blue
DSC07496.JPG (96.49 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
Glanville Fritillary
Glanville Fritillary
Green Hairstreak
Green Hairstreak
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Last edited by Nick Tanner on Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Tanner

Re: Nick Tanner's diary

Post by Nick Tanner »

A few images of Silver-studded Blue taken at Fairmile Common in June 2010. I'm not able to get out at the moment so trawling back through some old notebooks and photos is keeping me sane.
Attachments
ssb2.JPG
ssb2.JPG (18.99 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
ssb1.JPG
ssb1.JPG (23.78 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
ssb.JPG
ssb.JPG (23.65 KiB) Viewed 3004 times

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

A belated welcome to UKB, Nick!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

At least you've got your shots to look though until you can get out again Nick - great start to the PD :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Tanner

Post by Nick Tanner »

thanks Pete and Wurzel,

I managed an hour locally (River Hogsmill meadows near Surbiton) after work this evening, plenty of Red Admirals, Commas and Green-veined Whites, a few Ringlets, Gatekeepers and a single Small Tortoiseshell, but where are the Meadow Browns? I had two on 3/4 mile walk today :?

Nick

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A welcome from me too Nick. friendly bunch on this site but I guess with the change in the weather they're all out looking at butterflies :D

Nick Tanner

Post by Nick Tanner »

The welcome warm weather has lead to an increase of moth activity at my local station, Berrylands in Surrey; this little beauty was resting on a wall at eye level on the downline platform, as oblivious to the hundreds of commuters as they were to him.
Attachments
Black Arches
Black Arches

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A belated Welcome from me too Nick.

Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

Neil.

Nick Tanner

Post by Nick Tanner »

I managed to spend most of today at Bookham Common in the hope of seeing Purple Emperor, sadly it was not to be with just a brief glimpse of a possible sailing over the canopy of an Oak the closest I came. Nevertheless it was still an enjoyable excursion with around ten Silver-washed Fritillaries, five or six White Admirals, three Purple Hairstreaks, singles of Brimstone, Marbled White, Holly Blue and Peacock and lots of Gatekeepers, Green-veined Whites, Red Admirals, Ringlets and Meadow Browns but not a single Small Tortoiseshell. I also searched Bookham Station for moths but only managed to find a single Scorched Carpet

Nick
Attachments
Silver-washed Fritillary, male
Silver-washed Fritillary, male
20160723_205616 (1).jpg (82.48 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
Scorched Carpet, Bookham Station
Scorched Carpet, Bookham Station
Marbled White, past its best now
Marbled White, past its best now
White Admiral, best I could do
White Admiral, best I could do
Peacock, newly emerged I'd say
Peacock, newly emerged I'd say

Nick Tanner

Post by Nick Tanner »

hello all

I'm planning on going to Bookham Common in search of Brown Hairstreak at the weekend, it's a butterfly I've never seen and I would appreciate some pointers on where the best spots are for it and any tips that could maximise my chances of seeing it, all the best

Nick

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi, I saw my first ever Brown Hairstreaks there last year. It's perhaps a week early for them there yet but that's far from certain. I saw my first of three there on the 12th last year. Stick to the open areas on the western side of the site. If you start near Bookham train station, walk along the open blackthorn scrub northwards and you'll eventually come to a kissing gate which takes you onto a main path which leads into the wood itself. There are a couple of mature Ash trees in this area and this is where I saw all of mine last year, all early in the morning, try and get there for 9 at the latest, especially if it's going to be a warm day. Patience is the key and they can potentially pop up anywhere, the females will travel some distance when egg laying. I plan to go there looking for them myself in the coming days/weks (I was there yesterday in fact but didn't find any) so we may bump into each other! Hope that helps :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Nick Tanner

Post by Nick Tanner »

thanks Bugboy, I know exactly where you mean, will try this weekend and next if I need to

Nick

Return to “Personal Diaries”