Tony Moore

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Tony Moore

Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

A visit to the Seychelles seemed an ideal occasion to bite the bullet and start a blog. Actually, it's not the best place, as the islands are something of a butterfly no-go area. There are about 39 species on the country's all time list and five of these are extinct! Several others are only known from odd historical vagrants, and of the remainder, over half, and all the most interesting ones, are only found on Aldabra, which is unfortunately about 350 kms to the south from where we were staying on Praslin. This is the second largest of the granitic islands and is a short plane hop from Mahe, the main island. Our hotel was only accessible by boat and advertised tracks into the surrounding forest so I was hopeful of finding something lepidopterous. We arrived to hammering rain, which persisted until about 4 pm, when we ventured out for a shufti round the territory. Despite one or two nice stands of lantana, there were no butterflies to be seen. Somewhat disconsolate, we headed back along the beach. Suddenly my wife, who has much sharper eyes than me, shot over to the beachside vegetation. Several seriously tiny lycaenids (about 17mm ws) were buzzing around. I think they may have been Gaika Blues (Zizula hylax).
3-Gaika Blue.jpg

Despite visiting two other islands during our time there and doing a good bit of searching, we saw no other butterflies at all!

On our last day, I saw a larger, darker 'blue' and only managed one photo:
L S -t B.jpg

It turned out to be an old friend called 'Common Blue' in the Seychelles! Whilst waiting to try for another shot, I saw a supposed Gaika with open wings for the first time. When I looked at the photo, it had straight antennae, rather than the droopy ones typical of the 'grass blues'. It also had slightly pointed forewings and I think it may have been a 'Sooty Blue' (Zizeeria knysna):
8-Sooty Blue open.jpg

I found another a little later and got an underside:
7-GB4.jpg
Looking again at the pics, I'm not sure if all the tiny Blues were not the same species – either hylax or knysna, and would be very grateful for an expert opinion.

As the holiday was a bit disappointing butterflywise, I post a few other pictures, which I hope may be of interest:

A general view of the beach:
1-DSC06651_edited-1.jpg
A poor shot of a male Black Paradise Flycatcher (Tersiphone corvina, seen on La Digue island. One of about 250 individuals left on the planet:
2-Black Paradise Flycatcher.jpg
A Seychelles Green Gecko:
4-SGG 2.jpg
And a couple of shots of the famous Coco-de-mer, the largest seed on the planet, from the Vallee de Mai on Praslin. Draw your own conclusions...
5-CdM.jpg
6-CDM 1.jpg
A fascinating place.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tony Moore

Post by Padfield »

Hi Tony. Your grass blues are all knysna. Hylax has no cell spot and very characteristic markings on the forewing underside, with one shaped like a little horseshoe. This one was photographed in Kolkata:

Guy

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Many thanks, Guy - I'm ever in awe of your encyclopaedic knowledge. :mrgreen: .

Tony.

Tony Moore

Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

A few more pix from the Seychelles (sadly, not butterflies :( ):

An Ensign Wasp (Evaniidae) found flying around our room. Apparently, they are parasitoid on Cockroach eggs and come into houses etc, looking for egg cases.
1-DSC06670.jpg
A Seychelles endemic - the Seychelles Bulbul (Hypsipetes cressirostris)
1-Bulbul.jpg
One of three Giant Tortoises living on the resort. Looks a bit angry about something :) :
1-Giant Tortoise.jpg
A Barred Ground Dove (Geopelia striata). These delightful little birds were very common and frequent visitors to the breakfast table, where they would happily eat from ones hand.
2-Ground Dove.jpg
Not sure which lizard this is - looks a bit like our Sand Lizard. They were very common and would often chase the Grass Blues:
3-Lizard.jpg

Tony M.

Tony Moore

Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Just back from a brilliant tour with Spatia to Bulgaria and northern Greece. We started near Kerkini lake, where we found several fresh Large Coppers:
3-Large Copper - f.jpg
Also around the lake was a small area of Bladder Senna, where several Iolas Blues were flying. Most were fairly flighty, but we did find an accessible mating pair and an odd male:
4-Iolas Blue p.jpg
1-Iolas Blue m u.jpg

We went to an area where there were several Nettle Trees, which had been totally stripped by NT butterfly larvae. Every branch was hanging with larvae and countless pupae. It must be an astonishing sight when they begin to eclose!
2-Nettle-tree pupae.jpg
A nice Chequered Blue appeared:
6-Chequered Blue - u.jpg
5-Chequered Blue o.jpg
More later...

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Some out-of-the-ordinary photos there, Tony.
Very refreshing.
Chris

David M

Post by David M »

Some great images already, Tony. Can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve next!

I just love those NTB pupae.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Tony Moore wrote:We went to an area where there were several Nettle Trees, which had been totally stripped by NT butterfly larvae. Every branch was hanging with larvae and countless pupae. It must be an astonishing sight when they begin to eclose!
Amazing. Did your guide say this always happened or was it a one-off? Netttle tree butterflies have a short-lived summer brood that (at least in part) produces the wintering generation. It sounds as if they won't be using their parent trees!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Hi Guy,

It really was an astonishing sight. There were 3/4 good sized trees along a cart track and each looked grey and brown - hardly a trace of green. Thousands of caterpillars - some hanging , pre-pupation, and pupae on every branch. Must be one of the butterfly sights of the planet... The original idea was that we would go back to the site at the end of the trip when there would be thousands of insects all over the ground and adjacent trees. Unfortunately, some of our party had to be in Sofia early and we missed it. Our leader said that it was quite normal and happened every year... I'm tempted to go on next year's trip just to see it again.

Tony.

Tony Moore

Bulgaria/Greece 2016

Post by Tony Moore »

The second stop was near Siatista and our trip was considerably enlivened by one of the members, who was a reptile and amphibian man. While most of us looked for butterflies, he was turning over stones looking for snakes. Most days he found something interesting, such as this beautiful Leopard Snake:
7-Leopard Snake.jpg
After much searching, we found a couple of Dalmatian Ringlets quite near the hotel:
5-DR3.jpg

And the tiny Eastern Greenish Black-tip:
6-EGBT 2.jpg
Yellow-banded Skipper and Green-underside Blue were relatively common:
1-Yellow-banded Skipper.jpg
4-Green underside Blue.jpg

Finally, one for the Moth-ers. A spotless Burnet ?
3-Unknown Burnet.jpg
More tomorrow...
Last edited by Tony Moore on Mon May 23, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Tony Moore wrote:Just back from a brilliant tour with Spatia to Bulgaria and northern Greece ... Every branch was hanging with larvae and countless pupae.
Just brilliant, Tony! Never seen this sight myself, but wish I was there, as they say!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Tony Moore

Re: Spatia trip

Post by Tony Moore »

We moved on to Monodendri and our species count was rising rapidly. Our snake man found a couple of Nose-horned Vipers:
3-DSC07187_edited-1.jpg
There were a number of Little Tiger Blues flying among some boulders. Most were pretty worn, but I did find one fresh one:
5-Little Tiger Blue - u.jpg
1-Little Tiger Blue.jpg
Gruner's Orange Tips were also seen, mixed up with the ordinary OTs:
6-Gruner's OT -f.jpg
3-Gruner's  OT - m.jpg
Eastern Knapweed Fritillry was rather commoner than phoebe. They are easily separated by the undersides, less so from the uppers, but I'm fairly confident that this is the former:
2-Eastern Knapweed - u.jpg
One of the real highlights was to see Bavius Blue - we saw about 10 individuals in all:
4-Bavius Blue 2.jpg

Back to Bulgaria for the last few days...

David M

Post by David M »

Some more rarely seen stunners, Tony.

That female Gruner's Orange Tip is most impressive.

Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

Nobody else has commented so I will. I feel your Southern Small White posted on 20 May is actually a Green-veined White female. I think we may have met briefly at Kozhukh hill while in search of Iolas Blues. Thanks to Mario's help we saw them next day near Kerkini.

M.

Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

HI Mikhail and thank you for your comments.

The SSW id was from Mario :oops: , they all look the same to me....

Glad you managed to find iolas - the Kerkini site is a good bet, but you have to be lucky for any photographs.

Tony.

Tony Moore

Re: Bulgaria/Greece

Post by Tony Moore »

Before leaving Greece, we had a night near Mt. Olympus (very impressive). We found Southern Festoon, still in goodish condition:
05-Southern Festoon 4.jpg
and the very local Eastern Orange Tip!
04-Eastern Orange Tip.jpg
09-EOT M 2.jpg
Back in Bulgaria the meadows were buzzing with butterflies. Several Eastern Festoons in good order:
02-Eastern Festoon.jpg
07-Eastern Festoon u 1.jpg
A pair of Zephyr Blues:
06-Zephyr Blues.jpg
And as near as we got to Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell:
08-Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell.jpg

All in all a brilliant trip and several 'life ticks'.

Tony M.

Tony Moore

Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Just back from three days in the Pyrénées-Orientales where day three was a write off - cloudy, windy and very cold. First two days were mixed, but I managed to find 54+ species. Highlights were undoubtedly Bog Fritillary:
38-Bog Frit u.jpg
and Violet Copper - a stunning little butterfly:
10-V C 8.jpg
08-V C 6.jpg
Another 'tick' for me was Provence Orange Tip:
29-P O T u 2.jpg
27-Provence O T.jpg
Being very much a beginner with the European species, I still have a few 'unknowns' to be identified in the relevant forum.

Now the weather in UK needs to improve...

Tony M.
Last edited by Tony Moore on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

With these three species alone, Tony, your can say that you've come back with a feather in your cap. :D
Chris

David M

Post by David M »

Getting helle and eumedon (presumably at the same site) is worth the same as Chequered Skipper, Black Hairstreak and Purple Emperor on the same day in the UK!!!!

Well done.

Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Thanks, Guys,

And all with a little help from my friends... :D

T.

Return to “Personal Diaries”