Gary.N

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Gary.N

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

It about time I started a diary. So I will start with my and Vic Downer Large Tortoiseshell we saw in April this year on my first transect at Lullington Heath.
LTS.jpg
It flew past as a couple of times and we wondered what it was. Luckily it landed a hundred yards away. I nearly didn't go and look at it but curiously got the better of me. A few shots and then it was gone.
Last edited by Gary.N on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Re: Gary.N

Post by David M »

Difficult to get off to a better start than that, Gary.

More please!

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

:shock: :mrgreen:

If this is a taste of future posts then get used to a lot responses like this! :lol:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Hi Gary,

A fantastic find, I hope I manage to see a Large Tortoiseshell one day. I suspect you have many more surprises to come, I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more. :wink:

All the best

James

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

About 2 weeks ago my phone broken, but thanks to Neil.H and James who got through to me on a Saturday night I got some nice shots of two LTB's at Beeding on the Sunday.
Thanks guys.
Drew Covered LTB.jpg
Female LTB.jpg
Male LTB.jpg
Male LTB 2.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

What is that wispy stuff the LTB is resting on? Is it rosebay willowherb?

Quite a few images lately have shown these butterflies taking a fancy to it.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Even if you didn't see anything between April and November those two species more than make up for it :shock: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

It's Old Man Beard.

David M

Post by David M »

Gary.N wrote:It's Old Man Beard.
Thanks, Gary. That's a clematis, I believe?

Butterflysaurus rex

Thankfully the old man was moving so slowly we all managed to get some photos. :D

ATB

James

Paul Harfield

Re: Blue

Post by Paul Harfield »

David M wrote:
Thanks, Gary. That's a clematis, I believe?
Also known as Travellers Joy, I believe :D

Great start to your diary Gary :D

Butterflysaurus rex

I must say I really like the last two photos of the male, really nice. :D

ATB

James

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Had a good day out at Brighton racecourse with James on Saturday. So the photo are nearly the same. The Red Admiral I found as a black and white cat tried to catch and it flew up into the hedge. I had her on my finger for a good 5 minutes. I guess my finger was nice and warm.
Red1.jpg
Red2.jpg
Reds Scales.jpg
Then James's phone went off. Neil had found a LTB and I got a couple of nice shots of her.
LTBRaceCourse2.jpg
LTBRaceCourse.jpg

trevor

Post by trevor »

:D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :!:

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I second Trevor, what can we say :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Thanks Trevor.
Thanks Goldie.
:D

David M

Post by David M »

Can you be sure that your 'Large Tortoiseshell' isn't a Yellow-Legged (Scarce) Tortoiseshell?

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

All downhill from now on, Gary ... It's going to be tough beating a start like this! :D

In answer to David, yes, that's large tortoiseshell.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

How can you differentiate, Guy?

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Padfield wrote:All downhill from now on, Gary ... It's going to be tough beating a start like this! :D
In answer to David, yes, that's large tortoiseshell.
Clearly, then, your next target has to be the yellow-legged :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”