Essex Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Essex Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Wurzel »

Week 5

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014 (or the last time you saw one)!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Re: Essex Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by MikeOxon »

I think I'm getting too old and inflexible for getting down to inspect the antennae of Smessexes :) So, this is a Golden Oldie Skipper:
Sydlings Copse, Oxon - 3rd July 2005<br />Nikon D70 with Tamron 90mm macro - 1/90s@f/13 ISO200
Sydlings Copse, Oxon - 3rd July 2005
Nikon D70 with Tamron 90mm macro - 1/90s@f/13 ISO200
At least, I have no doubts about the identity of this one.

Mike
David M

Post by David M »

Aston Rowant is a place where you will find large numbers of Chalkhill Blues, several dozen Silver Spotted Skippers and....if you look carefully enough, a decent tally of Essex Skippers.

26th July 2014.

Here's a male:
1Essexmale(1).jpg
....and a female:
1Essexfemsuns(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Essex Skipper

This was taken back in July at a small field near work. The great thing about July in the teaching profession is that one year group (possibly 2 with A Levels) have left. This means a reduction in planning and marking and ‘frees’ up those lessons. So instead of working through lunchtimes and evenings I can get a load of work done during the working day. This means I actually get a lunch break so I make the most of it.
The small field is one of those inaccurately named pieces of land – waste ground, sandwiched in between a housing estate and is a two minute drive from work. One lunch time a quick visit threw up a great range of species including this Essex. It’s my favourite shot as I like the way the light caught the proboscis and also the way its antennae are held so identification wasn’t an issue.
Essex Skipper.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

For some reason, Essex seem to have the edge in cuteness over Small Skippers - at least as I see them, anyway... :)

Here's one from the colony near me on the edge of one of the Heathrow roundabouts, taken in the drizzle of 28th June.
ES6 280614.JPG

In contrast is one from my birthday outing to the Hampton Court Flower Show (12th July), where hundreds and hundreds were flying with their Small cousins.
ES2 120714.JPG
Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Over the past couple of years I have specifically looked for Essex Skippers everywhere I have been to around Solihull and have now confirmed their presence at every local spot that I have visited. This has entailed taking absolutely loads of record shots to try and get that head on view, most of which have grass stems or other vegetation all over the place, but which served the purpose of confirming the identification.

Every so often though I managed to get a shot that I quite liked including the one below taken at Sheldon Country Park by Birmingham Airport.
Essex skipper female - Sheldon CP 28.07.2014
Essex skipper female - Sheldon CP 28.07.2014
The next photo was taken at the park by my Moms house and is a particular favourite as it is the first Essex Skipper that I have confirmed there. When I was growing up around there in the 1970s and this park was still an area of rough grassland, there were plenty of Large and Small Skippers to be seen but Essex Skippers had not then begun their spread across the county. Little did I imagine then that 40 odd years later they would be found all around Solihull.
Essex Skipper male - Langley Hall 11.07.2014
Essex Skipper male - Langley Hall 11.07.2014
and finally, another favourite... what other species could be so quickly identified from a shot like this :lol:
Essex Skipper - Bickenhill 12.07.2014
Essex Skipper - Bickenhill 12.07.2014
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

That last image is a cracker, Neil. Really made me chortle. :D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

nfreem wrote:what other species could be so quickly identified from a shot like this
Indeed - and brilliant observation :D

Mike
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Unusuraly,i saw my first Essex Skipper a day earlier than my first Small Skipper this year.

Both are very common in any grassy area where i live.

This picture was taken on 7 July,first thing in the morning,just before i headed up north for a few days...
Attachments
july 7 2014 ukb 003a.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

This is my first photo of an Essex Skipper also my one and only so it's got to be my favourite :D It's slightly blurred so hope fully I'll get some better shots in the future.
The photo was taken at Temple Ewell on the 15th July. I know now that if I can't see the antenna properly it's light colouring is also a give a way, it seems much lighter than the Small Skipper. Goldie :D
Attachments
Essex Skipper TEW 15th July 2014 IMG_6968.JPG
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Lots of Essex skippers shots are face on (that impish looking one of your on the grass head is a cracker essex :) ). Here's another one that wanted his visage on camera :wink:
Male Essex Skipper taken at Botany Bay, Chiddingfold Surrey
Male Essex Skipper taken at Botany Bay, Chiddingfold Surrey
Phil
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Neil Freeman wrote:... what other species could be so quickly identified from a shot like this :lol:
Brilliant!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com

Return to “Essex Skipper”