kentishman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
kentishman

kentishman

Post by kentishman »

Beginners Luck

Hi all
this is my first post!

Having had the absolute pleasure of reading these amazing personal diaries for a couple of years i have decided to create my own.

Armed with my new trusty Canon 7D i today visited Dene woods (North Tonbridge, just a 5 minute drive away) as I heard a couple of Purple Emperors had been spotted at the weekend.

No luck with the PE but I was rewarded with two Lifers - White Admiral and Silver-Wash Fritillary!!

Here are some of my pics.

David (kentishman)
Attachments
a IMG_8781.jpg
a IMG_8763.jpg
a IMG_8727.jpg
a IMG_8710.jpg
Comma
Comma
Large Skipper
Large Skipper

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Re: kentishman

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Kentishman

Welcome to this friendly forum. A great start :D I have never seen a mating pair of Silver Washed Fritillaries before. Looking forward to more posts :D

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Welcome aboard.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi kentishman. Welcome to UKB!

If you are keen to see Purple Emperor in your area (which I suspect is gradually getting a firmer foothold in the wooded landscape spanning the Kent/E. Sussex border), you might wish to try around Eridge Rocks (Eridge Green), to the SW of Royal Tunbridge Wells. There are several sites around here which are now consistently providing sightings, despite receiving little in the way of attention from Emperor fans.

BWs, Neil

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Welcome from me too. Great shot of the mating SWF :mrgreen:

kentishman

Post by kentishman »

Back to Dene Park this morning for a very brief visit.

Nothing appeared to be flying at all but then the cloud broke and within a few minutes saw two female PE in the clearing just 100 yards from the car park.

The first (with damaged wing) settled very briefly and i managed just one proof shot.

The second (undamaged specimen) landed on my companion's leg but flew off up over the oak trees within seconds before i could get the camera on target.

I am amazed big these insects are and how fast these things fly!

Particularly chuffed as the enthusiasts i was with yesterday said they visit the park regularly but had not seen a PE for about 4 years.
Attachments
a IMG_8793.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Welcome Kentishman :D I see the beginners luck is continuing - I had to wait three seasons for my first PE shots and 4 for my first mating pair of Silver Washed :shock: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Great start with your PD David...and a warm welcome to UK Butterflies :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
kentishman

Post by kentishman »

Hi y'all

Today's collection including my best White Admiral pics to date.

Can you please help me out here. is this an Essex or Small Skipper?

Cheers
k
Attachments
White Admiral
White Admiral
White Admiral
White Admiral
a IMG_9112.jpg
Peacock
Peacock
male Ringlet
male Ringlet

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Super White Admiral pictures.

I'm still not competent enough to confidently differentiate between Small and Essex Skippers (the males are easier, I think).

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

kentishman wrote:Can you please help me out here. is this an Essex or Small Skipper?
Looks like a male Essex; you can just about make out the sex brand of the forewing, which is parallel with the leading edge of the wing.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi kentishman,

Your 'male Ringlet' is in fact a male Meadow Brown.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Welcome from another Kentish Man (although now in Surrey). I agree with Essex Skipper. I know Dene Park well although when I lived nearby I didn't manage to see a PE there!

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
kentishman

Post by kentishman »

Just got back from Dene Park, Tonbridge, Kent.
PE definately flying saw several individuals circling the master oak.
here are some severely cropped images taken with my 200mm zoom.
Attachments
a IMG_9212.jpg
a IMG_9188.jpg
a IMG_9187.jpg

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
kentishman

Post by kentishman »

Weather permitting I'm heading for Strumpshaw Fen from Kent early this Friday 2nd June hoping to see Swallowtail for the first time.
Currently travelling (by car) alone but room for 1 or 2 members/diarists if you can make TN10 by 0730.
I would welcome the company and expertise!
PM me if interested.

Hopefully i'll have something to report on here come the weekend!

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
kentishman

Post by kentishman »

Dene Park today. Didn't think i'd would have any joy with it being heavily overcast and 18C. But then someone important dropped in for lunch!
Attachments
a IMG_3424.jpg
a IMG_3397.jpg
a IMG_3359.jpg
a IMG_3320.jpg

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

Excellent. Any audience with his imperial highness is something to be savoured. :mrgreen:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Kentishman, that's the way with Emperor's; expect the unexpected :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”