Another butterfly shrub ID please

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
NickC

Another butterfly shrub ID please

Post by NickC »

I was wondering if anybody can identify this shrub please? It was on some waste ground next to RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk, and the local butterflies were most definitely enjoying it. I'd like to obtain a couple to plant in my garden if possible, so I was wondering what it is. The flowers look similar to lilac or stubby buddleia, but the leaves don't really look those to me (but I don't know much about gardening).

Rosalyn

Re: Another butterfly shrub ID please

Post by Rosalyn »

i think that's Privet.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Agree that it looks like Privet. The clincher is that Privet in flower has a strong "heady" scent, once smelled, never forgotten.

Jack
NickC

Post by NickC »

Thanks very much both. It did indeed have quite a strong scent. I had no idea it was privet - to me that was something with little leaves used for hedging, but now I know better! I shall be buying a suitable variety for the garden.
David M

Post by David M »

Wild Privet absolutely. The scent of this shrub has been indelibly imprinted in my mind after last Sunday's Black Hairstreak hunt.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Me again. Is it possible to buy wild privet (Ligustrum vulgare) from garden centres? I've been to a few recently and none have it, although there were some other varieties on sale. I didn't want those though because they flower later in the year than wild privet, and I'm not sure how attractive they are to butterflies. The wild privet would be ideal because it's obviously very attractive to butterflies, and there's not many plants in flower in June in my garden (at the moment anyway, I'm working on it). I guess it's not a species gardeners are that interested in, and the pungent fragrance might make it unattractive.

The garden centre visits weren't a waste of time though, we bought quite a few plants, all of which were butterfly/bee friendly :)
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

I just googled it and 23 suppliers came up on the RHS site
www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/10108/Wild-privet/Details
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Just a though , but I suspect that hardwood cuttings in autumn would take. Cut a mature (ie woody) piece of privet and push in the ground. It might not work but nothing lost if it does fail.

Jack
NickC

Post by NickC »

Rosalyn wrote:I just googled it
Ouch, that told me! :wink:
Rosalyn wrote: and 23 suppliers came up on the RHS site
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/10108/Wild-privet/Details
None near me, but that doesn't matter too much because clearly in general some garden centres do stock it, so I'll keep checking.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Jack Harrison wrote:Just a though , but I suspect that hardwood cuttings in autumn would take. Cut a mature (ie woody) piece of privet and push in the ground. It might not work but nothing lost if it does fail.
Thanks for that, if I get back to the spot in question this autumn I'll give it a go. I'm sure nobody will mind because it's just an area of waste ground (but great for wildlife - various butterflies, birds and even common lizards).

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”