Andy Brown

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
andy brown

Andy Brown

Post by andy brown »

Here are a few Pictures and a varied mix taken this weekend from various places and I must thank Pauline for her kind assistance with the White Admiral Larvae
Small Tortoiseshell Larvae
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
Common Lizard
Common Lizard
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Duke of Burgundy Fritillary
Duke of Burgundy Fritillary
Garden Tiger Moth Larvae
Garden Tiger Moth Larvae
Green Hairstreak
Green Hairstreak
Green Hairstreaks
Green Hairstreaks
Wood Tiger Moth
Wood Tiger Moth
White Admiral Larvae
White Admiral Larvae

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Re: Andy Brown

Post by Pauline »

Wonderful shots Andy but you already know what I think of your Hairstreaks :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thanks for sharing.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Went out today determined to find my own White Admiral Larvae after Pauline kindly showed me where and what to look for it really helped with the scale of things and came up trumps, found 2 within half an hour. even with a 180 macro/plamp and tripod it is really difficult (for me anyway) to get well focused but please with these non the less.
White Admiral Larvae Early Instar
White Admiral Larvae Early Instar
White Admiral Larvae
White Admiral Larvae
White Admiral Larvae
White Admiral Larvae

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Marvellous! It's quite addictive isn't it? Don't think I'll be able to walk past any Honeysuckle now without looking :lol:

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Hi,

Went to Bentley wood for a couple of hours this afternoon plenty of Pearls about and tens of Brimstone, this pearl stood out as being very pale, great condition though and an amazing green hue which the picture doesn't do justice. Is this normal variation? and also a couple of other interesting critters for note, help on the spider appreciated.

Thanks

Andy
Pearl Bordered Fritillary
Pearl Bordered Fritillary
Meloe proscarabaeus
Meloe proscarabaeus
To ID
To ID

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Spent the evening With Fishee at Old Winchester Hill,
5-10 Common Blues
4-5 Dingy Skippers
4-5 Grizzled Skippers
3-4 Brimstones
and numerous Micro moths

Here are a few pics to share.

Thanks

Andy
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Corizus hyoscyami
Corizus hyoscyami
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
To ID
To ID

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Lovely set of photos. I particularly like the Grizzled Skipper Shot!

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Went to Wrecclesham on the off chance and found these as a compensation for no Glanville's :(
IMG_2545.JPG
IMG_2554.JPG
IMG_2565.JPG
IMG_2566.JPG
Met up with Pauline for a WA Larvae hunt and came up with this one I found the other week but others were MIA or I am loosing it and could not find where I found them.
IMG_2582.JPG
On Pauline's kind offer went back to take some pics of the Black Hairstreak

An whilst there, there was a new arrival
IMG_2607.JPG
IMG_2633.JPG
IMG_2622.JPG
IMG_2610.JPG
IMG_2626.JPG
And when I arrived home found one of these Bruisers
IMG_2643.JPG
So all in all a great afternoon beating any day at work :D

Thanks

Andy

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I just love that first shot of the early emergence Andy. Talk about being in the right place at the right time ..... :lol: :mrgreen:

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Popped out for the day starting at the crack of sparrows with Fishee for a day in pursuit of our favourite friends, here are a few of my better photo's from the day, I am sure John will have some better ones.
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Elachista argentella
Elachista argentella
Adonis Blue
Adonis Blue
Brown Argus
Brown Argus
Scarce Chaser - Imature Colours
Scarce Chaser - Imature Colours
Small Heaths
Small Heaths
Marsh Frit
Marsh Frit
Dingy Skipper suspect aberrant rather than worn
Dingy Skipper suspect aberrant rather than worn
Marsh Frits
Marsh Frits
Have orders for a day of gardening today so will have to try a couple of evenings this week depending on the forecast probably Magdalene Hill as it is only 15 mins away.

Thanks

Andy

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Lovely pair of lusty Marsh Frits! Great image.
BWs, Neil

William

Post by William »

Neil Hulme wrote:Lovely pair of lusty Marsh Frits! Great image.
I second that, I was out photographing them yesterday and I found several mating pairs, but all low down in the grass so I know how hard it is to get an image that good :D - fantastic!

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Lots of great images there Andy, nice to see a Brown Argus they are avoiding me like the plague at the moment.

All the best

B'saurus

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Popped out to Wrecclesham (very little there) and the Straits to get out of the wind, it was just nice to get out after the weather on Friday and Saturday anyway here is a mixed bag of the days sightings

Ta

Andy
Common Blue
Common Blue
Speckled Wood
Speckled Wood
Small Copper
Small Copper
Red Admiral
Red Admiral
The Vapourer Larvae
The Vapourer Larvae
Swollen-thighed Beetle Male - Oedemera nobilis
Swollen-thighed Beetle Male - Oedemera nobilis
Garden Chafer -  Phyllopertha horticola
Garden Chafer - Phyllopertha horticola
Black-striped Longhorn Beetle Male - Stenurella melanura
Black-striped Longhorn Beetle Male - Stenurella melanura
Unidentified Sawfly Larvae
Unidentified Sawfly Larvae
Large Red Damselfly
Large Red Damselfly
Black -spotted Longhorn Beetle - Rhagium mordax
Black -spotted Longhorn Beetle - Rhagium mordax
Black-headed Cardinal Beetle
Black-headed Cardinal Beetle
Small Quaker Larvae
Small Quaker Larvae
Blossom Underwing Larvae - Orthosia miniosa
Blossom Underwing Larvae - Orthosia miniosa

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic range of photos Andy :D My personal favourite is the wrap around Dingy I love seeing them in that pose :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Its been cloudy and windy all week and managed to get in the garden this evening after work to catch up with my orange tips, here are a few pics. Cannot wait to order my extension tubes at the weekend but will be to late for the last Ovum which looks ready to eat its way out of the egg case.
Orange Tip Ovum
Orange Tip Ovum
Orange Tip Ovum
Orange Tip Ovum
Orange Tip Larvae
Orange Tip Larvae
[
Orange Tip Larvae
Orange Tip Larvae
Orange Tip Larvae
Orange Tip Larvae

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

News Flash!!!!!!!!!!
Just went out to check the egg and hey presto! still windy so not the best but very pleased non the less.
IMG_3072.JPG
IMG_3067.JPG
IMG_3064.JPG

Cheers

Andy

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great shots Andy - I took some similar ones yesterday but tbh my little camera is struggling. Can't wait to see what you produce with your extension tubes.

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Bit of a mix again, some moths from the Garden and the results of a trip to Bentley Wood which I had the pleasure of seeing a Marsh Fritillary setting up next years generation, Unfortunately they were all past there best but good to see non the less about 10ish all in all.

Enjoy

Andy
Pale Tussock
Pale Tussock
Spectacle
Spectacle
Small Square-spot Diarsia rubi
Small Square-spot Diarsia rubi
Drinker
Drinker
Marsh Frit
Marsh Frit
IMG_3123.JPG
IMG_3124.JPG
IMG_3137.JPG
Small-pearl
Small-pearl
Crab Spider
Crab Spider

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Never thought I'd say this Andy but that's a great moth! :D (the spectacle) and your photo shows it off so well. Wish I'd seen it - you seem to be single-handedly converting me! :lol:

Return to “Personal Diaries”