Badgerbob

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
badgerbob

Badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

My first long butterfly walk for some time today and there was plenty of butterfly action. On stinging nettles an ovapositing Small Tortoiseshell with 2 other Small Torts watching over the female. Other species included Brimstone, lots of Peacock, Comma and a Small White.
DSC_9269 (1024x698).jpg
Small Tortoiseshell ova
Small Tortoiseshell ova
DSC_9280 (1024x689).jpg
http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Badgerbob

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Bob,

Great to see that you have started a personal diary :D

Those Small Tortoiseshell ova are very early this year and the different colouration of the two batches indicates that they were deposited by separate females. Definitely worth adding to the Species-Specific Album please.

Many thanks,

Vince

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A great start to the PD Bob - looking forward to further posts :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

A great start to your PD Bob, I'm really going to enjoy looking at all of your wonderful photos & writings over this season 'and hopefully' many many more..........

Pleased to know you're out & about again after the "back incident" hope to see you sometime soon.

B'saurus

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks for your comments guys. Today I was pleased to see my first Holly Blue of the year as I was driving out the Close heading to Frog Firle. I was hoping to find a Wall pupa but once again I wasn't lucky. Eventually I did find a near fully grown larva. Before this I met briefly Downland Boy who found the wing of a female Emperor Moth. The moth had presumably been eaten by a bird. Several Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock and Red Admiral also seen. Earlier I had the moth trap out for the first time and I had a few gems in there including a Herald and Twenty-plume Moth.
Wall Brown larva
Wall Brown larva
Wing of female Emperor Moth
Wing of female Emperor Moth
Twenty-plume Moth
Twenty-plume Moth

David M

Post by David M »

Magnificent stuff, Bob.

You've got me even MORE keen to get out and about - hopefully the weather will allow me to indulge myself over the next fortnight in the same way that you have.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That 20 plume moth is a beaut Bob :D I had one in my bathroom last year but it wouldn't come out of the corner so I couldn't get a shot anywhere near as good as yours :mrgreen: Good luck with the Pupae hunt.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Another day, and yes, once again the clouds gather. However, for an hour or so the sun was out and it was pretty warm. In this window I found a Slow Worm warming itself. I have also been hoping to improve my previous images of Orange Underwing moths which are a very frustrating moth as they are often on the ground, but very well camouflaged, and when disturbed they fly off zigzagging about and normally flying skywards!! Today I got lucky with the rarer Light Orange Underwing which when disturbed resettled on the ground and stayed just long enough for a quick shot, which really does show their camouflage when on the ground. Several Peacocks were also on the wing before the sun went along with a few Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell and Comma. Later in the day 2 Speckled Wood showed up. However, the hoped for Orange-tips didn't appear today.
Slow Worm
Slow Worm
Light Orange Underwing
Light Orange Underwing
Peacock
Peacock

Butterflysaurus rex

Excellent Orange Underwing photo Bob, I caught a glimpse of one there the other day but it whizzed past and out of sight only giving me a brief chance to ID it. I didn't know that they often settled on the ground. I must see if I can spot one the next time I go.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

I had a very limited time today but with the sun shining for a while I quickly headed to what would be described by the majority as 'wasteland' to see what I could find. Stinging nettles were everywhere and so were the butterflies with Small Tortoiseshell and Comma very active. A couple of Peacock and a Brimstone also made up the numbers. The Torts were looking for small fresh nettles for egg laying in between basking in the sun. I now have that satisfying tingle up the arm where the nettles got me!! As usual at such times I started to run a little late so I was rushing back home when I became even later as a newly emerged female Holly Blue fluttered down by me. I managed a record underside shot, but with the wind blowing she would not open up her wings for me. As I was there another Holly Blue flew over my head.
DSC_9371 (1024x686).jpg
DSC_9374 (1024x695).jpg
DSC_9387 (1024x680).jpg
DSC_9396 (1024x652).jpg
DSC_9399 - Copy (1024x680).jpg

jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Love the pic of the Holly Blue...hoping to get my first of the year over the next few days...weather permitting!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I also love the shot of the Holly Blue, :mrgreen: hope they come out here soon Goldie :D

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks for the comments about the Holly Blue. I just wish it had hung around a bit longer and opened its wings. Going by how many seen in the first 3 days of their emergence it may be a pretty good year for the Holly Blue this year. Lets hope!!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Bob,

Some great photos so far, really looking forward to further posts :D

Cheers,

Neil.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Cheers for your comments Neil. It was a poor day down here once I was able to get out. A 4 mile walk in fantastic butterfly terrain without seeing a single butterfly. The sun decided to appear at 4.15 but it was too little, too late as there was also a coolish breeze blowing. The highlight was actually finding a large flock of around 100 birds of Corn Bunting. I did check out the nettles where I had lots of Small Tortoiseshell the other day and I found some newly hatched larvae. A poor record shot in very low light was all I got!!
Small Tortoiseshell larvae
Small Tortoiseshell larvae

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Dismal day here too Bob but good shot of the ST larvae - haven't seen them yet.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Today was the day that shows that whatever the weather it's always worth getting out there, because, you never know what you might find!!
With the chance of finding any butterflies today just about nil with the damp dull conditions I had yet another hunt for Wall Brown pupa. Yet again a dismal failure! However, I found a very small Wall larva as well as 2 tiny Emperor Moth larva. Once the back started aching too much I was thinking about the Emperor Moth wing from the other day and I decided to have a look around the bushes on the chance of finding my first ever Emperor Moth. Below is what I found!!
female Emperor Moth
female Emperor Moth
DSC_9467 (1024x671).jpg
Even with the little wing damage it was a fantastic sight.

jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Awesome!

Butterflysaurus rex

Cor Bob what a cracking find! Seek and ye shall find :D

B'saurus

David M

Post by David M »

Spectacular stuff! It really is a lovely insect.

Return to “Personal Diaries”