maverick

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
maverick

maverick

Post by maverick »

This is the first post of the year in my personal diary, not a butterfly in sight yet as i live in the North west. So i had a walk around Pennington Flash and i just had to try and get some sightings of the Willow tit that visits the feeders there and today they were happy to oblige
DSCF1569.JPG
DSCF1570.JPG
Last edited by maverick on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
maverick

Re: maverick

Post by maverick »

DSCF1584.JPG
DSCF1581.JPG
DSCF1575.JPG
i also got some shots of the Nuthatch , reed bunting and the bull finch which was not very friendly , he wouldn't let any of the other birds eat in the same cage

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
maverick

Post by maverick »

woody has been a regular visiter to my garden
DSCF1552.JPG
DSCF1530.JPG
DSCF1549.JPG

maverick

Post by maverick »

this is one of my other hobbies
pike 14.12lb.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Maverick, nice Pike, looks to be a good double at least? You are also very lucky with the variety of birds visiting your feeders.

Mike

maverick

Post by maverick »

Thanks mike,the pike was 15lb, as for the birds I'm at work most of the time so in the winter when they come into the garden I never really get enough time to watch them

maverick

Post by maverick »

its a wonder that i get any birds in my garden , this chap is always in the local area. at least he dont eat butterflies
buzard.jpg

maverick

Post by maverick »

just back from cuba today, and after spending up to an hour most nights taking photos of the various butterflies ,ive just found out that one of the memory cards is not with me any more( ive been kicking my self all day)
i had a great time and was impressed with the amount that where there,but and a big but
they where so fast and getting a good picture was impossible at times. for example the large whites where flying out to sea in strong winds with no problem at all. they seemed to be the most common along with the large yellow butterflies

maverick

Post by maverick »

DSCF1848.JPG
this is one of the large white butterflies, always closing its wings when its landed {not for long} they where sometimes seen by myself far out to sea
a little bigger than our large white with less markings of the small white in the uk

maverick

Post by maverick »

DSCF1805.JPG
DSCF1805.JPG
DSCF1804.JPG
i think i can safely say i found a female

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

How frustrating that you've lost that memory card! I suppose there 's a chance that if you changed cards in the hotel they might have found it and can send it.

The whites are great southern whites, Ascia monuste. Well done for getting those ovipositing shots! I look forward to seeing more of the piccies from the card you did bring home!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
maverick

Post by maverick »

Tell me about it,
I will try and contact them
The most frustrating thing is ,I had about eight different butterflies on it with a few very good close up shots

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I really feel for you Maverick. I guess we've all been in a similar position one way or another at some time but that doesn't make it any better for you. I really hope it turns up.

maverick

Post by maverick »

DSCF1833.JPG
this is the first picture I have got of this butterfly a large pail colour in flight and not easy to get near
it was hanging about at the front of the hotel ,I took a bit of time for it to get used to me.

maverick

Post by maverick »

DSCF1837.JPG
DSCF1836.JPG
DSCF1835.JPG
after a few days i could get close (sometimes)

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Nice!

I don't know if you're looking for IDs in these postings, but if you are, this one is Hamadryas amphichloe - one of the 'crackers'. There's a picture here:

http://butterfliesofamerica.com/L/image ... CL-8_i.htm

I do hope you get your other card back ...

Guy

The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
maverick

Post by maverick »

yes please id them for me, i did enjoy just looking for the unknown, and i was surprised on the amount out there
i have a few more up my sleeve and will post up soon :D

maverick

Post by maverick »

DSCF1901.JPG
DSCF1900.JPG
DSCF1838.JPG
DSCF1832.JPG
DSCF1808.JPG
There where lots of fritilarys in Cuba, Here are some of the pictures i took .You will have to excuse some of the pictures as it was some times difficult getting them in focus before they decided to fly off
Attachments
DSCF1859.JPG

maverick

Post by maverick »

DSCF1817.JPG
Another fritillary at rest

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That's a butterfly I'd love to see - the Gulf fritillary, Agraulis vanillae. And some of the pictures aren't at all bad for such a mobile creature!

Guy

Return to “Personal Diaries”