Alex Berryman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ABerryman

Alex Berryman

Post by ABerryman »

I'm not sure this diary will provide much interest to anyone (I'll try my best!) but at the very lest it is a good record for me. This has been my first serious year of 'butterflying' and has been packed with a number of highlights. Being 16, transport's a little tricky, but this year I was lucky enough discovered a local colony of Dark Green Fritillary, a species that is incredibly hard to find in hants, as well as taking regular trips to Alice Holt Forest. To save going through the past two months, below are a few highlights and hereafter, I will try and post as and when I find things of interest:
Silver-Studded Blue
Silver-Studded Blue
After a brief glimpse of a Purple Emperor last year, I was keen to find a grounded individual this year. This meant a couple of trips to Alice Holt (a train ride + 2 mile walk each way required!). Thanks must go to Pauline for spotting this one...
DSC09715.jpg
DSC09740.jpg
I am still after the right 'wings-open, both purple' shot, though will have to wait until I run into Neil someday for that!
Marbled White
Marbled White
Finally a couple of Dark Green Fritillaries...
DSC08953.jpg
DSC09101.jpg
Thanks for reading, expect the next post in the next couple of days, after I have sorted through my shots from Aston Rowant today!

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Re: Alex Berryman

Post by millerd »

I drove past Aston Rowant twice today on the M40 (once at around 9 and then with heavy rain not far off at around 2). There were definitely one or two figures on the hill looking very much as if they were photographing butterflies - could this have been you? :) It was annoying not to be able to stop...

Looking forward to your shots from the hillside.

Dave

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

ABerryman wrote:.... but at the very lest it is a good record for me....
Hi Alex,

That is exactly why I keep my diary, I am not worried about producing the best photos from a technical or artistic point of view but in keeping a record of where I have been and what I have seen. If I manage to get some good photos whilst I am at it then so much the better and if others enjoy my diary then that gives me extra pleasure as well.

You have made a good start with some great photos. looking forward to seeing your Aston Rowant shots, I know what you mean about sorting through them :wink:

Cheers,

Neil F.

ABerryman

Post by ABerryman »

I was at Aston from 1030-1230 today ... couldn't stay much longer as it was just a stop off back from our holiday in Wales and the parents were getting impatient! Still a nice selection of butterflies seen including my first Silver-Spotted Skippers.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

ABerryman wrote:the parents were getting impatient!
Parents now ..... Wives later. Nothing changes :)

Mike

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

A nice start Alex, nice photos, you'll do fine.

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It was a pleasure meeting you Alex and I'm so pleased you got a few PE shots. It is great to see that you are now posting - that way we can keep tabs on what you're doing :lol: :lol: Seriously though, the effort you put into just getting to the butterfly sites shows remarkable determination and your efforts definitely have paid off. I have been looking at some of the other wildlife photos you have taken - they are impressive, and you certainly deserve your awards. You really are too modest!

PS. Welcome to the site btw :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking start to your PD Alex with some great shots - my fave being the Marbled White "stained glass" :D
Interesting that your parents were getting impatient - for me it's my kids that are the impatient ones :roll: :wink: Looking forward to the next installment.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ABerryman

Post by ABerryman »

Thanks Pauline :D

Wurzel, my parents show no interest in butterflies at all - just me, and the Aston Rowant car park can only entertain for a kimited period of time!

ABerryman

Aston Rowant - 03/08/2013

Post by ABerryman »

As promised, a little report on my trip to Aston Rowant! As I only had a couple of hours, I decided to focus almost entirely on Silver-Spotted Skippers, a species I had never seen.

I made the mistake of taking the left hand path, taking me down the hill, only to realise I had to climb right back up again! Never mind, en route there were clouds of Meadow Browns and the hillside was alive with Chalkhill Blues and my first Brown Argus of the year (I forgot just how tiny they were!). Trying to avoid getting distracted from my main quarry, I headed up the hill. At first no sign but once I got my eye-in several SS Skippers revealed themselves briefly, before darting out of view at an incredible speed!

The first skipper to settle for the camera was in absolutely hideous light and was far from the cleanest individual...
DSC09041.jpg
Eventually the sun went in and I located another skipper, allowing for the best shots of the day. Still quite a way from what I wanted but as a first effort not too bad!
DSC09108.jpg
With every new species I see I try and get an 'on me' photograph. With SS Skippers this was an absolute nightmare, not helped by the fact the wind was blowing a gale and I was there for the hottest part of the day; eventually one obliged...
DSC09125.jpg
I will try and post a few photographs of the Brown Argus and Chalkhill Blues in due course!

Bye for now...
Last edited by ABerryman on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABerryman

HLCP - 04/08/2013

Post by ABerryman »

A trip down to my local patch - usually a very poor site for lepidoptera but today revealed 18 species of butterfly which isn't a bad haul at all. Highlight was undoubtedly my first Painted Lady of the year:
DSC09147.jpg
DSC09157.jpg

ABerryman

Post by ABerryman »

Whilst out for a bird of birding on the south coast (seeing a garganey for those interested!) I found a Clouded Yellow, my first ever! Hopefully as more of these beauties head north I will get the opportunity to photograph these well. Anyway - as the butterfly was distant I tried to capture it in flight. I failed... but it's a start!
DSC09686.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Alex,
That's not a failure. That's a great image!
Best Wishes, Neil

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I would be extremely pleased with that Clouded Yellow image! Not a failure in my book.

Mike

Susie

Post by Susie »

That's a beautiful photograph. I'd be chuffed with it. I don't think I've ever seen the upper side of the wings before. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That photo is a right proper job and I would be chuffed to have taken it :mrgreen: How was the Gargeney not in eccipse I hope :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

That's definitely not a fail. I have only ever managed a very blurred picture of a Clouded Yellow in flight.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I agree with all these comments Alex - I would be well pleased if I had managed that shot.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Blimey Alex, I wish I could get some failures as good as that :mrgreen: :wink:

A great image :D

Cheers,

Neil F.

ABerryman

Post by ABerryman »

Thank you for all the kind words peeps. As a photographer I have to be fussy! If any of you are interested my photography can be found here (only plug I promise!!)

www.alexberrymanphotography.co.uk

Rather shamefully there are currently no butterfly shots up - though this is being corrected as I write this!

Hopefully off to see some Brown Hairstreaks over the weekend,

Cheers,

Alex

Return to “Personal Diaries”