CJB

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
CJB

CJB

Post by CJB »

Good afternoon UKb'ers,

I have been following your reports on GHS, PHS, WHS and BHS and as some will know, have had very little success getting a shot of this merry little band of streakers! However, at last, albeit from a distance I have managed to snap a PHS which was just about in reach, but a tough one for the mobile... :roll:

So here it is, warts and all! I believe it is referred to as a 'record shot' when it is so sub-standard!
PHS
PHS
Not brilliant, I admit, but it does take my tally up to 43 UK species, so I am particularly chuffed! Next up is to try and snap the WHS which seems to be relatively abundant! Wish me luck!

Flutter on!

CJB

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Re: Hairstreak Progress

Post by David M »

You're not alone, CJB. I've been chasing Purple Hairstreaks for three years now and all bar two of my photos have effectively been 'record' shots. :(

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
CJB

Re: Hairstreak Progress

Post by CJB »

Thank you for sharing my pain David!!
Flutter on!
CJB

CJB

Daneway Magic

Post by CJB »

Hello All UKB'ers,

I managed to steal 45 minutes yesterday morning at Daneway bank and with HUGE thanks to Mike I found what I was after and managed to snap a new lifer on my mobile.

First things first, if anyone feels they have lost their marbles, you need to go to Daneway Bank as I have never seen so many Marbled Whites; they were literally everywhere and hatching too. I managed to snap a freshly emerged individual who was drying out:
Marbled white
Marbled white
There were also large skippers, meadow browns, ringlets, small tortoiseshells, common blues all over the bank but the star of the show was undoubtedly the LARGE BLUE!!!!!! I saw at least 3 separate individuals and managed to get a few shots on the mobile:
LB and Orchid
LB and Orchid
Open Wing LB
Open Wing LB
Large BLue
Large BLue
I cannot recommend enough that you pay a visit if you can to this amazing spot. Where I saw them isn't even the hotspot, so I can't imagine how many are there at the moment but a local said it was the best year he had seen for a while as they were clearly spreading across the reserve.

So much Thanks again to Mike.

Flutter on!!!

CJB

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
jasonbirder

Re: CJB

Post by jasonbirder »

Great stuff...sounds like a good day out...

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
CJB

Post by CJB »

Thanks Jason,

Unbelievable day out. Topped off this weekend by the 17th species to be seen in the garden which was a marbled white! :shock:

I am hoping that a DGF makes an appearance as we are surrounded by down lands.

If you can make it to Daneway, I cannot recommend it enough!

Flutter on!

CJB

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Wow, lovely pictures, particularly from a phone! I would love to see Large Blues one day, or Marbled Whites, come to that!

CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your compliments!

If you have any chance of getting to Daneway, I cannot recommend it enough. There never seems to be many people around and it is literally awash with butterflies. If you do go, let me know and I will try and point you towards the LB's.

I am still blown away by the appearance of a Marbled White in my garden at home! :shock:

Flutter on!

CJB

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great LB's CJB :D I managed to get my first ever this weekend but no top shots :mrgreen: Good luck with the garden DGFs :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Couldn't agree more! What a marvelous site...literally alive with Butterflies...we had 10 species of Butterfly, some interesting Moths and some lovely Orchids in a couple of hours today...including the star of the show...my first Large Blue...
Thanks for the head's up...

CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Nick/Wurzel/Jason,

Thanks for your compliments lads.

Glad to hear Wurzel that you got your LB last weekend; where were you? Keeping fingers crossed on home DGF's! Very jealous of your SSB's! :mrgreen: Great photos, as ever. Jason managed to snap a few as well, so big congrats to him as well. :D

MikeOxon was instrumental in my success at Daneway, so huge thanks to him.

Flutter on!

CJB

CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi UkB'ers

I couldn't resist another trip to Daneway this afternoon and it didn't disappoint. I would say that I saw at least 10 individuals in 4 different areas within the reserve, including a very fresh one which I failed to get a picture of.

However the mobile managed to snap this particular flutterer:
LB
LB
Marbled Whites were everywhere, plus Small and Large Skippers, Meadow Browns, Ringlets, Small Tortoiseshells, Small Heathes, Common Blues and of course the Large Blues.

I also came across what I can only describe as a nest of caterpillars; any clues on the id?
Mystery Cats
Mystery Cats
I look forward to reading comments and suggestions.

Flutter on!

CJB

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Hi CJB,

Nice report, your larvae are Small Eggar (macro moth) :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the id on the cats; I couldn't believe how many there were and the fact that they were all in that huge 'web'.

So chuffed with the LB; amazing to have them on my doorstep.

Flutter on!

CJB

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Should have mentioned CJB - Small Eggar are a Nb (Notable Scarce B) category macro moth, I'm sure your county moth recorder would be pleased to have this significant record, although Gloucestershire is still considered one of the species few remaining strongholds.

Hope you enjoy your 'local' Large Blue :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Saw some "moth'ers" looking for Small Eggar while I was at Daneway on Monday...
I wondered why they had nets and were "swishing" them through the grass...I approached them as I was concerned about this behaviour (my mothing has always been done with a bright light and a cup of tea) but they assured me it was very much the norm...does anyone know what they were doing?

CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Jason and Bill,

That sounds somewhat worrying and I am sure that those in authority would like to know about these 'moth'ers', which I can't help feeling is an abbreviation!! :wink:

That cocoon was about the length of a large beer can and it was crammed full of cats, so there will be no shortage of Small Eggar moths.

Thank you for the heads up on the Small Eggar being a Nb. When I have finished my ludicrous quest to photograph all UK species on my mobile I will move on to moths! I have so far snapped 45 species, including a Monarch(!), with a few easy (ish) ones to go, including DGF and WLH, so then it all becomes geographical. Saying that I am heading up to Scotland in a couple of weeks so if I am lucky will snap a few of the locals if they are still on the wing.

Flutter on!

CJB

jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Hehehe...why not go for all the Dragonflies after you've finished with the Butterflies LOL ;)
I keep meaning to devote some time to learning about and seeing them...but something else always distracts me!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another open winged Large Blue :mrgreen: By the way where can I get one of these new fangled WMS from? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Wurzel,

Apparently the latest version of WMS (2014) is available for either download or purchase from the Apple Store.

It does have a habit of crashing when exposed for too long to the World Cup. :wink:

Flutter on!

CJB

Return to “Personal Diaries”