Marmari

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
marmari

Marmari

Post by marmari »

?
Last edited by marmari on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
marmari

Plain Tiger in Egypt

Post by marmari »

?
Last edited by marmari on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Plain Tiger in Egypt

Post by Padfield »

Beautiful shots of an iconic Egyptian butterfly (the earliest known identifiable pictures of any butterfly are of plain tigers, in Egypt)!

For the large, off-white one, I'd suggest Catopsilia florella, the African migrant.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
marmari

Post by marmari »

?
Last edited by marmari on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Post by David M »

There's certainly nothing 'plain' about this species. Hopefully I'll get to see a few myself in the not too distant future.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

They certainly are a stunning sight - lovely pictures, Marmari.

I love the way the wing tips have caught the light in the second image and when the sun shines through that rich caramel colour, it lights up like sunshine :D

David, you can see them in southern Spain if you fancy a trip to the med!

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
David M

Post by David M »

Lee Hurrell wrote:David, you can see them in southern Spain if you fancy a trip to the med!
They're also present in the south of France, although I suspect they're a bit scarcer there.

marmari

Re: Marmari

Post by marmari »

?
Last edited by marmari on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Congratulations! I'm delighted for you, as I know how much effort you've put into trying to find the Holy Grail of British butterflies. I've been over with Matthew (Oates) recently, but this year we failed at Woodhouse despite giving it a thorough going over. Plenty of Comma plus a few Peacock, Brimstone, Red Admiral and three Speckled Wood was the best we could muster. We bumped into John Rowell who confirmed a lack of success on his part this season. We suspected that they might have dispersed from this overwintering ground and so went looking elsewhere on the island ...... but not Walters Copse :wink: .
Well done again, and great pics!
Neil

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Well done Peter - very happy for you! Sometimes perseverance pays off! I had an "experience" myself today. Will post in my diary shortly - not as spectacular as your sighting though!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Congratulations.

Now that's what I call a result ...

Kind regards. Mark

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That's marvellous news - well done! I can almost physically feel your elation from here!

That looks to me like a female. Let's hope she has left lots of eggs on her travels around the island. In fact, what you really need now is to catch her in the act...

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Well done Peter. Glad they are still around on the IOW after the problems at Woodhouse Copse.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

What is it with today? I was happy with my first Small White in the garden and then I read about people getting back from Spain and all the species there, then there's a Camberwell Beauty in Wiltshire and now here's a Large Tortoiseshell :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Congratulations though, some great shots there :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Very well done Peter :mrgreen:, I'm pleased your efforts were finally rewarded.
Would it be possible to add these images to the Species-Specific Album please? I would ideally like to see all the Large Tortoiseshell images taken in the Isle of Wight over the past few years put into the Album. I have seen them posted in the past, so if there is anybody out there who has any, could they oblige please?

Regards,
Vince

Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

My photo of the LT from 3 years ago is now in the album.

adrian riley

Post by adrian riley »

Wurzel wrote:What is it with today? I was happy with my first Small White in the garden and then I read about people getting back from Spain and all the species there, then there's a Camberwell Beauty in Wiltshire and now here's a Large Tortoiseshell :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Congratulations though, some great shots there :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Hi, Wurzel
Do you have any details about the Cambeaut in Wilts?
Cheers, Adrian Riley

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Excellent LT sighting and photos. What a fantastic experience!

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

adrian riley wrote:Do you have any details about the Cambeaut in Wilts?
look at the recent tweets list on this site. Info at http://www.wiltshire-butterflies.org.uk/

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Good work on the LT! And lovely shots.

What a treat that must have been.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Personal Diaries”