Clive

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Clive
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Clive

Post by Clive »

Hi

Shirley & I had a wonder around Magdalen Hill Down today, never seen so many Green Hairstreaks! We had a very enjoyable couple of hours watching them, they're just so interesting leaping into action every time an insect passed by and returning to their perch.

Then down to hillside to see the Common Blue & Brown Argus, loads about, but by now very active and only settling for a breif moment.

Also Orange-tip, Brimstone and white ones, again very active ...

Good to have bumped into Pete, Roger & Ian ...
IMG_4973.jpg
IMG_5051.jpg
IMG_5435.jpg

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterfly Conservation & RSPB - Member
Jack Harrison

Re: Clive

Post by Jack Harrison »

I briefly visited Magdalen Hill Down Winchester last Monday but obviously didn’t find the hot spots and saw only one Green Hairstreak. I stayed in/near the top path. For future reference, where should I have gone?

I like your pics and am surprised how fresh the butterflies still are.

Jack

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Clive
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Clive »

Hi Jack

From the car park up the main path to the reserve, turn right along the small path between the hedge & fence ... but I have been along there many times before and not seen any ...

Clive

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

That's exactly where I was. Maybe in view of the pristine condition of your specimens, I was too early in this rather mixed up season.

Jack

Clive
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Clive »

Out again today for a walk around Stockbridge Down ... this time it was the Brown Argus chasing the Common Blues away. Walking back down the hill we watched a Small Copper chase the Common Blues away ...

Other Butterflies seen ... Brimstones, Small Heaths, Grizzled Skipper, Orange-tips, Speckled Woods & Peacock ...

Clive
IMG_5523.jpg
IMG_5564.jpg

Clive
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Clive »

Hi

A very enjoyable day at Bentley Wood with the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillarys ... much better than the heat wave last weekend! ...

Orange-tips, Green-veined Whites & Brimstones also made an appearance ...

Clive
IMG_6183.jpg
IMG_6216.jpg
IMG_6289.jpg

walpolec

Post by walpolec »

Lovely photos, Clive. :D

May I ask what camera/lens you use? And what aperture are the majority of these taken on? (You've achieved a great depth of field).

Cheers

Chris

Clive
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Clive »

Hi Chris

I used a Canon 40D & 300 F4 IS L lens, F7.1 for the first shot & F8 for the other two ... that lens has a MFD of 1.5m & I find if I ease back a little from that I get better shots ...

Clive

Clive
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Clive »

Hi

Lots of blue Butterflies today at Martin Down ... Adonis Blue, Common Blue & Small Blue ...

Also Brown Argus, Grizzled Skippers, Dingy Skippers, Brimstones, Green-veined White & Orange-tips ...

Clive
IMG_6839.jpg
IMG_6862.jpg

walpolec

Post by walpolec »

Clive wrote:Hi Chris

I used a Canon 40D & 300 F4 IS L lens, F7.1 for the first shot & F8 for the other two ... that lens has a MFD of 1.5m & I find if I ease back a little from that I get better shots ...

Clive
Thanks Clive. I'm always interested in good advice.

Cheers

Chris

Clive
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Clive »

Hi

Yesterday we found the Glanville Fritillary. followed by a walk along the ancient track way to look for the Wall, only a fleeting glimpse ... but returning along the sea wall we found about a dozen, far to active for any photo's ...

Clive
IMG_7645.jpg
IMG_7663.jpg
IMG_7698.jpg

Clive
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Clive »

Hi

The Common Blue really was out in force today at Magdalen Hill Down ...

Clive
IMG_8216.jpg
IMG_8270.jpg

Clive
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Clive »

Hi

A visit to Stockbridge Down today and we saw our first Large Skippers this year ...

Also Common Blue, Brown Argus, Grizzled Skipper, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell, Small heath, Speckled Wood, Brimstone, Orange-tip, Green-veined White ...

Clive
IMG_8534.jpg
IMG_8581.jpg
IMG_8715.jpg

Clive
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Clive »

Hi

Another visit to Martin Down today and we saw our first Meadow Brown this year ... lots of Large Skippers, Small Heaths and Small Blues ... the other blues are looking very worn now ...

Clive
IMG_8807.jpg

Clive
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Clive »

Hi

Our first visit today to Silchester Common and the Silver-studded Blues ... also quite a number of Small Heaths and one Grizzled Skipper looking a little worn ... nice to see a Red Kite too ...

Clive
IMG_9055.jpg
IMG_9496.jpg
IMG_9537.jpg

Clive
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Clive »

Hi

A very enjoyable walk around Broughton Down yesterday, spotted our first Marbled White although he didn't settle anywhere ... We watched a Green Hairstreak guarding his patch from the lower leaves of a beech tree ... A large number of Small Heath where just about everywhere, along with the usual suspects ... We did see a couple of Brown Argus not looking to bad amongst the faded ones ...

Clive
IMG_9562.jpg
IMG_9578.jpg

Clive
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Clive »

A large number of Silver-washed Fritillary in Bentley Wood today along with a good number of Ringlets & Large Skippers ... also a few White Admirals and a glimpse of the White-letter Hairstreak high in the treetops ... a couple of Marbled Whites spotted on the way round too ...

Clive

IMG_9951.jpg
IMG_9911.jpg

Clive
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Clive »

The Ringlet was about in good numbers today at Pamber Forest and our first Small Skippers this year ... White Admiral, Silver-washed Fritillary, Large Skipper, Speckled Wood, Marbled White and Meadow Brown where also about along with one Comma ...

Clive
IMG_0427.jpg
IMG_0390.jpg

Clive
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Clive »

Hi

The Marbled White put on a fantastic show today at Magdalen Hill Down, they where everywere even on the steep slopes ... a good number of Ringlet and Small Skippers along quite a few Meadow Brown and the odd Comma, Small Tortoiseshell , Red Admiral and Small White ...
IMG_0766.jpg
IMG_0896.jpg
IMG_0739.jpg
Back at the car park Shirley spotted a Holly Blue ...

Clive
IMG_1058.jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

What a lovely Holly Blue photo.!

Jack

Return to “Personal Diaries”