April 2024

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

April 2024

Post by David M »

I'm not sure I can cope with this persistent sunshine deprivation for much longer. The long-term forecast looks grim. Let's hope things brighten up soon otherwise this could turn into the dullest spring in memory.
petesmith

Re: April 2024

Post by petesmith »

David M wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:30 am I'm not sure I can cope with this persistent sunshine deprivation for much longer. The long-term forecast looks grim. Let's hope things brighten up soon otherwise this could turn into the dullest spring in memory.
It's been a shocker David - I cannot recall such a prolonged period of poor weather and rain here in Lincolnshire. Butterflies are out there waiting, but with very few windows of opportunity. Good job I have been back in (very temporary) full time employment for the past three months otherwise I would have been going insane with frustration!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Taking a quick look at the roughly calculated March weather stats for my local area:

Sunshine - about two-thirds the average
Rainfall - over twice the average
Temperature - average maximum about one and a half degrees above the average, and no nights below freezing

For butterflies, it's been a far better month than March 2023: 238 individuals counted compared with last year's 7. I've seen them on 13 days out of 31 this year.

Clearly, the butterflies have indeed woken up, and the slightest bit of bright sunshine will bring them out (even between the forecast showers).

Dave

(edit: After posting this, I was able to add six more butterflies and another day to the totals above.)
millerd

Post by millerd »

My first GVW of the year this morning kicked off the new month, one of 33 butterflies of eight species seen locally during a mix of sunshine and cloud before the latter began to predominate.
GVW2 010424.JPG
A full account of the outing in my PD shortly...

Dave
dlaz44

Post by dlaz44 »

Pleasant surprise yesterday to see a newly emerged female Green-veined White - the first for me in Chelmsford for 2024. The early afternoon sunny intervals and 15C temperatures brought out some butterflies 12 in total, mostly Peacocks, with 11 yesterday on the transect to start the month. But numbers still down because of the wet weather and chill winds. Up to 7 species now with the surprise omission being no Red Admirals considering how many were still around in November.
Green-veined White f 02/04/2024 Meadgate Fields Open Space
Green-veined White f 02/04/2024 Meadgate Fields Open Space
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
David M

Post by David M »

Monday 1st:

Just six butterflies seen in mainly sunny conditions between 10.15am and 12 noon at Lower Kilvey Hill and then Crymlyn Burrows, Swansea:

Speckled Wood 3
Brimstone 3 (all males)
S.1.SpckWd(1).JPG
S.1.Brimmale(1).JPG
Last edited by David M on Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

dlaz44 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:05 am..The early afternoon sunny intervals and 15C temperatures brought out some butterflies..
Not surprised there were quite a few butterflies in 15c temperatures, dlaz. Highest we've had here is 13c.
dlaz44

Post by dlaz44 »

David M wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:12 amNot surprised there were quite a few butterflies in 15c temperatures, dlaz. Highest we've had here is 13c.
Forecast is 20C for Saturday 😀😀😀 Happy Days!

Wind speed 40mph 😭😭😭
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The weather up here (Nairn on the Moray Firth) has been diabolical for the past three days.  Temperature has hardly varied day and night, being 4C to 6C (currently, 3rd April at 1630 BST is 4 degrees).  It's been overcast, a keen wind and almost continual drizzle, sometimes with much heavier bursts of rain.  Classic Scottish dreich and certainly no butterflies.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Monday 1st PM, Park Wood, Gower:

Brimstone 7
Peacock 6
Small White 1
Comma 1
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Very few butterflies at work this week, but I did spot what I think must be a Shoulder Stripe moth braving the elements on a stack of pot trays, also wood ants seem as successful as the jumping spiders in hunting on the green mesh sides of the greenhouses.
Attachments
z_1.jpg
z_2.jpg
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Definitely a Shoulder Stripe-lovely moth.
David M

Post by David M »

Wednesday 3rd, Cwm Ivy between 1400h and 1530h:

Brimstone 4
Red Admiral 2
Comma 2
Peacock 1
dlaz44

Post by dlaz44 »

Yesterday, the 4th, I popped out whenever the sun broke through the clouds but it wasn't until 2.30 before the butterfly activity began in 15C temperatures and finally some direct sun. I nearly saw 20 butterflies again within the hour - 10 Peacocks, 3 Comma, 3 Small Tortoiseshell, and 2 Small Whites.
Peacock 04/04/2024 Meadgate Park
Peacock 04/04/2024 Meadgate Park
Comma 04/04/2024 Meadgate Fields Open Space
Comma 04/04/2024 Meadgate Fields Open Space
But my search for the first Orange-tip of the year once again ended in disappointment despite the lush patches of Garlic Mustard Alliaria petiolata in flower and the Cuckoo Flower Cardamine pratensis going over;
Garlic Mustard Alliaria petiolata Baddow Meads
Garlic Mustard Alliaria petiolata Baddow Meads
As suddenly as butterflies appeared at 2.30 they were gone by 3.30 despite continued sun and 15C. Someone with more expertise than me might be able to explain the sudden disappearance at this time of year. I presumed it was because of the height of the sun in the sky meant that the rays were dispersed over a larger surface area. This possibly means that the sun is less focused and is insufficiently concentrated to heat the bodies of the insect so they are able to fly? Or they are better meteorologists than me and could feel the impending return of the rain.

So still frustrated with my lack of butterflying opportunities, eagerly waiting for the now 21C temperatures predicted for Saturday.

The Cherry Plum and Blackthorn has finished, and it is now time for the Wild Cherry Prunus avium and the ornamental cherry blossom season - just in time for the storm to blow it all off [again]
Prunus 'Amanogawa'
Prunus 'Amanogawa'
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

aeshna5 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:36 am Definitely a Shoulder Stripe-lovely moth.
Thanks for confirming that, aeshna. Its choice of resting place struck me as rather odd considering the heavy shower and mini hooley we were experiencing. A lot of moths take cover within the stacks of pallets and crates we have dotted around the nursery or deep within the perimeter hedgerows, but this individual seemed happy enough to grin and bear it outside.

The only butterfly species I've seen in the greenhouses so far this year are Small White and Peacock. I've also seen a couple of micro moths, larger than the ubiquitous Diamond-backs we have all year round, but I lost them in flight. I did rescue a macro on Tuesday lunchtime, caught behind an automatic blind on the side of House #4. It flew higher up (to a safer area), but by the time I'd gone next door to grab a step-ladder to get a better snap, it had flown off....celery as French greengrocers probably don't say. I've attached a long-range snap for those who enjoy an ID challenge !

All the rain has meant that a pair of mallards are back on a small seasonal pond which would be considered just a large puddle in drier conditions. Apparently, in 2020 they managed to get in to House #4 over a weekend and build a perfectly round "nest" by pulling out and carefully placing loads of individual plastic care labels from the strawberry plants. They had to be evicted, unfortunately.
Attachments
z_3.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 4th, Kilvey Hill, Dan-y-Graig Cemetery & Crymlyn Burrows, Swansea:

Brimstone 3
Speckled Wood 3
Small White 1
Small Tortoiseshell 1
04.SpckWd(1).JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

A strange day of weather on my local patch near Heathrow today (6th): very warm, but only a very hazy sun for much of the time and gusty winds. Nevertheless, I counted 59 butterflies of 9 species, including my first close encounters with Holly Blues this year, and my first female Orange Tip.
HB4 060424.JPG
HB5 060424.JPG
OT1 060424.JPG
A full report in my PD later.

Dave
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Our local natural history society had a bee walk on Hounslow Heath, west London yesterday. Fairly overcast, very breezy but warm.

Butterflies seen were 8 male Brimstone, Small White on a dandelion, 2 Comma & 6 Peacock. The small longhorn moth Adela reamurella was also seen.

Other wildlife included 2 or 3 Red Kite, Buzzard, Green & Great Spotted Woodpecker, 2 Swallows, a singing Cetti's Warbler plus plenty of Chiffchaffs & a few Blackcaps.

I missed the Adders seen by some, but plenty of Slow Worms under a refuge tin.
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:07 pmA strange day of weather on my local patch near Heathrow today (6th): very warm, but only a very hazy sun for much of the time and gusty winds. Nevertheless, I counted 59 butterflies of 9 species, including my first close encounters with Holly Blues this year, and my first female Orange Tip
That's an excellent return given the wind speeds, Dave.

Although the afternoon was fine and sunny here, with 45mph gales blowing I stayed indoors!
David M

Post by David M »

dlaz44 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 am...But my search for the first Orange-tip of the year once again ended in disappointment despite the lush patches of Garlic Mustard Alliaria petiolata in flower and the Cuckoo Flower Cardamine pratensis going over..
That's one hell of a garlic mustard patch. Orange Tips and Green Veined Whites will surely frequent that with regularity once they hit their straps.

Return to “Sightings”