Scotland v England!

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
ChrisStamp

Scotland v England!

Post by ChrisStamp »

David M commented in the PBF favourite photos topic that Pearl-bordered Fritillary is one of the few species more common in Scotland than in England. This set me to thinking, what others are there?

Just for fun, here's my list off the top of my head (not based on any data analysis, just subjective knowledge):

Chequered Skipper, Dark Green Fritillary, Large Heath, Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Mountain Ringlet, Scotch Argus, Green Hairstreak, Northern Brown Argus.

There are plenty of common species that I'm not sure about and are likely equally common (Green-veined White, Small Heath, Small copper etc) and I'm also not sure about Marsh Fritillary?
David M

Re: Scotland v England!

Post by David M »

I think the following are definitely commoner in Scotland than England:

Chequered Skipper
Mountain Ringlet
Northern Brown Argus
Scotch Argus
Pearl Bordered Fritillary
Large Heath

I reckon Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary is a close-run thing as there are quite a few colonies in the SW of England (certainly if one were to include Wales then it would be commoner south of the border).

I think Dark Green Fritillary and Green Hairstreak are quite a bit commoner in England.

The other two to consider would be Green Veined White (as you mentioned), and Small Tortoiseshell, which is pretty scarce in the south east of England.
ChrisStamp

Post by ChrisStamp »

Dark Green Fritillary and SPBF are quite common here thankfully (Perthshire) - I get DGF in my garden, and both are pretty widespread and easily encountered in the uplands. I hope it stays that way. I didn't see either species around the places I I lived in England, but it does depend where you happen to be of course.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The Haggis Brown is surely Scotland only? Sadly, they don't seem to occur to the southeast of the Great Glen.
(Nor to the northwest for that matter).

Jack

Return to “General”