Meadow Brown - Favourite Photo of 2023

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 11

With the Solstice passed and the days getting longer we can start to look forward to the new season :wink: . Also by this time tomorrow St. Nick will hopefully have paid a visit we’ll have feasted and possibly perused new lepidopteran tomes that were left in our stockings. So for tomorrow- Have a Very Merry Christmas and a ridiculously butterfly filled New Year!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Meadow Brown - Favourite Photo of 2023

Post by Wurzel »

Meadow Brown

It’s not surprising that the ubiquitous Meadow Brown shows such variation but even though we often become used to the common or garden looking butterflies and such variation can sometimes remain un-noticed occasionally one comes along which really catches your attention. So it was with this one from the first week of July during a lunchtime walk at work. It immediately stood out from everything else that was flying as it was more of a Meadow Blonde than Brown – a gorgeous looking butterfly with no competitors for the Fave spot!
MB 1 05-07-2023 4.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Two fine examples of females from me, one upperside, one underside:
Meadow Brown female, Hadleigh Country Park.JPG
Meadow Brown female, The Pells, Offham.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

I didn't see too many Meadow brown butterflies this season. A few at my local patch in Aberdeen near end of June and one female at St cyrus nnr.
Attachments
DSC_8665.jpeg
DSC_8141.jpeg
DSC_8091.jpeg
DSC_8028.jpeg
DSC_8002.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

" Spin the Wheel ",or whatever its called is on ..................So good opportunity to post my favourite Meadow Brown ,fair numbers about at most sites visited in Mid-Kent ,with lots of variation .These two are both from an early morning visit to Temple Ewell . I have posted the pale individual before ,but it was hands down my favourite individual of the season .
Allan.W.
P1210450.JPG
P1220653 (2).JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

In terms of sheer numbers counted this is by far the commonest butterfly on my local patch, with over twice the total of anything else (Red Admirals in 2023). On some days in late June and early July I lost count at around 250 - but the annual mow of the grassland in mid-July knocked them back to the uncut edges and reduced numbers markedly.

The abundance, plus competition from everything else at this time of year, meant I took very few photos of the species either here or anywhere else. Here are one or two that obviously caught my eye.
The first one of the season
The first one of the season
A pair from mid-June
A pair from mid-June
A female from late July
A female from late July
Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A toss up between Meadow Brown and Gatekeeper as to which was the most numerous butterfly around my patch in 2023. Gatekeepers had a very good year here whereas Meadow Brown numbers seemed to be down a bit from their usual high numbers.

I'm picking the photo below, taken at my local spot by Wagon Lane, as my favourite, as it shows a nice example with the extra orange on the hindwings that seems to becoming more common in recent years.
Meadow Brown - Wagon Lane 07.08.2023
Meadow Brown - Wagon Lane 07.08.2023
Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw my Meadow Browns in East Blean Woods in June when I was looking for the Heath's, for once they not in long grass :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8691.JPG
IMG_8778.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:41 pm...I have posted the pale individual before ,but it was hands down my favourite individual of the season
With good reason, Allan. That one's quite a showstopper!
David M

Post by David M »

On 25th July, there were at least a couple of thousand Meadow Browns in the open fields at Rhossili on the Gower. Amongst them, this abnormally orange female caught my eye:
25.MdwBr(1).jpg
dlaz44

Post by dlaz44 »

Meadow Browns were in good numbers in most of the local sites with numbers generally in the hundreds at peak times across the wet meadows of the River Chelmer flood plain. Also, further afield in places like Hatfield Forest:
Meadow Brown 18/07/2023 f Hatfield Forest, Essex
Meadow Brown 18/07/2023 f Hatfield Forest, Essex
My favourite photograph was not of a perfect specimen, far from it, but of a cute little survivor that on first appearance looked remarkably like a Small Heath only to reveal on closer inspection that it was missing much of its wings - despite this it was happily nectaring away on the thistles
Meadow Brown 17/08/2023 Baddow Meads, Essex
Meadow Brown 17/08/2023 Baddow Meads, Essex
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

To be honest I'd say there's enough of that second butterfly left to positively ID it as a Small Heath!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:31 pmTo be honest I'd say there's enough of that second butterfly left to positively ID it as a Small Heath!
100% with you, Paul.
dlaz44

Post by dlaz44 »

bugboy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:31 pm To be honest I'd say there's enough of that second butterfly left to positively ID it as a Small Heath!
ooooops apologies - memory issues confused the story - obviously cute damaged Small Heath, counted as such at the time! :oops:
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
overthepass

Post by overthepass »

Didn't start catching up with Meadow Browns until quite late on. This male was at a local country park at the end of June, while we were out looking for White-letter Hairstreaks.
7B7A1049_A.jpg
A rather nice female enjoying the bramble as the sun started to come out at a local recreation ground at the beginning of August.
P8011038_A.jpg
And a rather more ancient female in the rose gardens at Polesden Lacey (NT) in the last week of September - this one gets an honourable mention as being the first butterfly I've ever photographed (or even seen) on a rose.
P9250822_A.jpg

Return to “Meadow Brown”