Favourite butterflies

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Ian Pratt

Favourite butterflies

Post by Ian Pratt »

I like all butterflies, but I do have some favourite UK ones as follows:
1 Small tortoiseshell
2 Peacock
3 Painted lady
4 Glanville fritillary
5 Silver-washed fritillary
Any others willing to share their favourites?
David M

Re: Favourite butterflies

Post by David M »

Female Brown Hairstreak is my ultimate favourite. The understated beauty allied to the elusiveness just adds to the appeal.

Next in line in a non-UK species, Zapater's Ringlet, which is, in my opinion, the most attractive of all the Erebia genus.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

My favourite European butterfly has to be Cynthias fritillary. Gorgeous colours and only found in high mountains.
Attachments
52223839398_1b8ebbbea3_o.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I asked Chat GPT for its opinions.
As an AI language model, I don't have personal preferences or emotions, so I don't have a favourite butterfly. However, I can provide information about British butterflies!

One popular and striking British butterfly is the Peacock butterfly (Aglais io). It is known for its beautiful and colourful wings, featuring eye-like patterns that resemble the eyespots on a peacock's feathers. The Peacock butterfly is commonly found in gardens, woodlands, and meadows across the United Kingdom.

Another notable butterfly in Britain is the Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta). It is easily recognizable by its black wings with striking red bands and white spots. The Red Admiral is known for its migratory behaviour, with individuals occasionally migrating from southern Europe to the UK during the summer months.

Other well-known British butterflies include the Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais urticae), the Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui), and the Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhamni). Each butterfly has its own unique characteristics and beauty, making the British countryside a haven for butterfly enthusiasts.
Well, now you know :idea:

I will give my human thoughts later.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Human response.

"Favourite" is very much subjective - appearance, memorable encounters, difficulties. So (roughly) by family.

Skippers. Essex because of the identification challenge compared to Small. Moreover, my first meeting was at Martlesham Heath disused airfield where I had landed my glider having been unable to stay airborne

Whites. Orange Tip - sign of spring and the beautiful underside (cryptic when resting on Cow Parsley)
Clouded Yellow comes a close second. I first saw it as an eight-year-old in 1947 and haven't seen it all that often since.

Nymphalids. Comma. Again, first met in 1947 in east Norfolk, where it wasn't supposed to occur at the time. And I have followed the northward spread since, the culmination being in my 85th year - a Comma egg laying in my garden in NE Scotland in early June this year.

White Admiral. Another east Norfolk encounter in my youth - where it "didn't occur".

Fritillaries. Pearl bordered with its graceful flight among the tree stumps. I had a truly memorable day in Rewell Wood near Arundel in 1974 where I did a mark and recapture

Browns. Marbled White. I first met them in the Chilterns when stationed at RAF Benson in 1962. I had no trouble with the identification that time! I later tracked the butterflies' spread, and it was only a matter of time before they turned up in a meadow near my then home in south Cambridgeshire: they did in 2009.

Blues. The vivid colour of the male Adonis takes some beating, although very blue female Common Blues come a close second.

Hairstreaks. A sparring match with a Small Copper in north Norfolk (Holme) was difficult for the eye to follow, let alone with the camera.

I've had a good 'butterfly life' since my mum got me interested as a six-year-old. I have seen all the regular mainland British species except Long-tailed Blue. But my chasing days are over due to much reduced mobility. That's the downside of being a 'senior citizen'. But plenty of memories.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Ian Pratt wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:42 amMy favourite European butterfly has to be Cynthias fritillary. Gorgeous colours and only found in high mountains.
Good choice, although in my opinion Scarce Fritillary runs it close:
2ScarceFrups3(1).jpg
Medard

Post by Medard »

My favorite butterfly.
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com
UK. my choice will be the White Admiral (Limenitis camilla) its
elegant gliding flight is what attracts me to this species
Somerset doesn't have a great selection of butterflies but we are fortunate to have a colony of White Admirals that  attracted visitors to the Sweet track, Shapwick Moor Nature Reserve to enjoy this species.
JUN_9616.jpg
JUY_1158 White Admiral (Limenitis camilla)_01.jpg
SEP_8631.jpg
MAY_5341  White Admiral (Limenitis camilla)_01.jpg
France, my choice without hesitation is the Apollo (Parnassius apollo) . My first encounter with the Apollo was at  La Chapelle-en-Valgaudémar,14-07-2007
13Jul2007_1805  La Chapelle-en-Valgaudemar..jpg
My wife and I were visiting as tourists, not for butterflies I might add, but the sight of this magnificent butterfly set me on the path to record as many French butterflies as possible, it has taken me the length and breath of France, to mountains and moorlands, a truly exciting adventure, regrettable age has now brought my adventures to an end without completing my mission.
How sad, but what an adventure.
JUL_8676 Apollo (Parnassius apollo).jpg
APR_7694 Apollo (Parnassius apollo).jpg
APR_7499.jpg
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Some excellent choices here by all of us. I accept that it is subjective, and I really enjoy seeing any butterfly in pristine condition wherever it is.

Return to “General”