Brown/Northern Brown Argus

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Lawts

Brown/Northern Brown Argus

Post by Lawts »

Can Brown Argus ever show a clear white upper wing spot? If so, how common is this?
Thanks.
Lawts

Re: Brown/Northern Brown Argus

Post by Lawts »

I saw this specimen at Bishop Middleham in 2010. Not a great photo I know. I'm assuming it's a Northern.
I saw this specimen at Bishop Middleham in 2010. Not a great photo I know. I'm assuming it's a Northern.
millerd

Post by millerd »

The closest I've ever come is this definite Brown Argus from last July.
BA2 020722.JPG
The white spot (when there is one) always seems to have a black centre in Brown Argus, whereas in NBA it is clear white. I'd say from this rough rule of thumb that your shot is of an NBA.

Dave
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Thanks Dave.
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

I think the weak orange markings also support the identification of the one I saw, maybe?
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

millerd wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:51 am The closest I've ever come is this definite Brown Argus from last July.BA2 020722.JPGThe white spot (when there is one) always seems to have a black centre in Brown Argus, whereas in NBA it is clear white. I'd say from this rough rule of thumb that your shot is of an NBA.

Dave
Just out of interest how did you know this was definitely Brown Argus; location?
millerd

Post by millerd »

Lawts wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:57 am Just out of interest how did you know this was definitely Brown Argus; location?
I saw it on my local patch adjacent to Heathrow Airport (I forgot to mention that bit! :) )

Cheers,

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Lawts wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:56 am I think the weak orange markings also support the identification of the one I saw, maybe?
This is not a 100% reliable marker, as ordinary Brown Argus can vary to the extent of having quite faint orange lunules, especially in males. However, I think NBA hardly ever have prominent ones, so your one has what you'd expect from an NBA.

Cheers,

Dave
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Thanks again.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

millerd wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:51 am The white spot (when there is one) always seems to have a black centre in Brown Argus, whereas in NBA it is clear white.

Dave
The first thread that I click on after an absence from the forum for far too long (extenuating circumstances) gives me some learning. Cheers Dave. The next challenge I have is in remembering this bit of information.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

From 9 July 2020. Grantown-on-Spey.

Jack
Attachments
2020-07-09-207-NBrArgus.jpg
2020-07-09-015-NBrArgus.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Bishop Middleham quarry is listed in the NBA species page for the salmacis version of that species so based on that it is a NBA. I'm not sure (not sure anyone does) how far away the current northern limit for the ever expanding BA is so its possible there may be hybrids in that part of the world now.
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Identification”