Appeal for funding

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Tony Moore

Appeal for funding

Post by Tony Moore »

I have recently received an appeal from Sonam Dorji in Bhutan, where he is trying to raise funds for a film about the Bhutan Glories. I have sent my five pennyworth - can anyone else help? Should anyone want to go to Bhutan butterflying, they could not do better than contacting Sonam - He knows where stuff is and is very helpful. He can be contacted at : bhutanforts@gmail.com. I post part of his letter below:

Right now I am more focused on documentary and photography of wildlife. I have discovered our national butterfly in a different location and have published a paper with my daughter who is doing life science here. Trying to engage here also. There is this particular hill where I have seen both the species of Bhutanitis: Bhutanitis ludlowi and Bhutanitis lidderdalliee in the same hill and flying almost the same time. It is in eastern Bhutan. I have named it as Shoskom : Bhutan glories hill (name of the place) to attract attention. Interestingly this area has also Kaiser I Hind, and am porbably the first Bhutanese to observe it. I am trying to make a documentary on it in 2023. This is an important discovery and it is important for conservation and ecotourism purposes. Although I can get some government funding, I will not have creative freedom to do as I want. So seeking funds from my old friends and contacts. I have attached the proposal here. It can be any amount as per your convenience. All amounts will be accounted for. My target is USD 6500 for one year filming of lifecycles, habitat, etc. So far, I managed about USD 1000 from my contacts. Will be sharing the pics, videos, etc. at the end of the project to my financiers.

Tony M.
David M

Re: Appeal for funding

Post by David M »

I have been waiting to meet Sonam since 2020, however Covid scuppered all that and at the moment we aren't due to visit Bhutan until autumn next year.

Happy to contribute but there's a large shortfall there, one which I hope can be overcome.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Hello David,

If you do get a chance to go to Bhutan, jump at it - you will not be disappointed - Sonam is a most knowledgeable and likeable chap. I'm sure he will show you some amazing stuff.

Tony.
David M

Post by David M »

We've been liaising with him for a while, Tony, with a view to running a tour to Bhutan:

https://greenwings.co/our-holidays/butt ... tan-glory/

Had it not been for Covid I'd have been there three times now. :(
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi Tony and David,

thanks forall your help and comments. I have sent an email to you David regarding your comments on the shortfall. I will be great for me to know abt it and work on it. Please do chk your mail. This is a critical work for me in 2023 and I intend to achieive it. Your support in early stages will be of great help to keep me going. Thanks again to you Tony for swiftly responding and supporting me The area I am working is not a conservation area and it is important for me to keep working there. Glad to let you all know the I have garner certain degree of support from local people and local officials there.

rgds,
Sonam
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Sonam. I can confirm I've received your email and will respond to it very shortly.
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Thank you David.

Return to “Personal Diaries”