Swallowtail - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 18

Not long to go now! Only a couple or so weeks left of the 2021 Favourites thread and possibly only a couple more weeks until the 2022 Season starts in earnest.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Swallowtail - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by millerd »

With some decent days of weather forecast for the second week of June, I decided to spend a couple of days in Norfolk. The forecast proved accurate and there was warm sunshine when I arrived at Strumpshaw on the 8th. Almost immediately, a Swallowtail landed on the flowers opposite the site entrance, I pointed the camera, and achieved what I reckon was my favourite shot of the whole visit.
SWT1 080621.JPG
Reporting on this success to Bugboy, I got the message back to say that I should perhaps wander up to the field beyond the late doctor's garden where he was being entertained by two others. I had no idea he'd be there...

Here's one of the two mentioned. They were characteristically very active and very few shots didn't have a bit of wing-blur.
SWT28 080621.JPG
I saw a few others later in the day, and one or two on a trip to Hickling the following day (which was a hot one), but the initial few hours were the best in retrospect.

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

They sure are tricky to photograph properly, Dave. Their size and fluttery nature makes them difficult subjects.
David M

Post by David M »

Didn't see britannicus last year, but a few gorganus popped up in Spain, including this one at the bird observatory just north of Tarifa:
8pmgorganus1(1).jpg

Return to “Swallowtail”