Marbled White - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 10

There are only a few chocolates left in the advent calendar now! :D The morbidly obese gentleman with a penchant for red velvet and furs and a talent for reverse burglary is prepping his Reindeer even though Christmas has been cancelled :? Still here's the 'Favourite' thread to take you mind off the single day festivity :wink:

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Just a reminder - it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 now so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 20 weeks time…

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Marbled White - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I spent a lot of time with Marbled Whites this year. They are such beautiful insects.

This photo was taken one memorable evening at Magdalen Hill Down during golden hour in June.
Marbled White, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 8th June 2020
Marbled White, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 8th June 2020
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
millerd

Post by millerd »

As ever, a few of this species drifted down onto my local patch from colonies further north. I initially thought there was just the one on 12th June here, but these photos turned out to show two different insects.
MW1 120620.JPG
MW2 120620.JPG
However, they are to be found in numbers in many places I visit in the summer - including the woods at Chiddingfold in July as part of the supporting cast for the Purple Emperors.
MW1 170620.JPG
The best sites I visit are the various Downs, and of these Box Hill (particularly the slopes of Burford Spur) stands out - there can be hundreds and they fly up in clouds if disturbed while settling at the end of the afternoon.
MW2 090620.JPG
Two months later, they were still flying much further north at Kiplingcotes in Yorkshire - a bit faded, mind.
MW2 060820.JPG
Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw my Marbled White's at Temple Ewell Kent on the 17th July , no matter what, they always seem to pose for shots :D Goldie :D
Attachments
59645F61-BF1E-4E97-A76F-F30F2AA91EC8_1_201_a.jpeg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Lots of Marbled Whites flying from late June at most of my local sites around Solihull this year including good numbers at a couple of sites where I had only found occasional individuals before, indicating that they are spreading around the area.
They didn't last long here though and by the middle of July they were all but finished. On the other hand I found a late individual still flying at Osmington in Dorset when we were down there at the beginning of September.
Marbled White - Blythe Valley 26.06.2020
Marbled White - Blythe Valley 26.06.2020
Marbled White - Bickenhill 02.07.2020
Marbled White - Bickenhill 02.07.2020
Marbled White - Castle Hills 05.07.2020
Marbled White - Castle Hills 05.07.2020
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:19 pm Lots of Marbled Whites flying from late June at most of my local sites around Solihull this year including good numbers at a couple of sites where I had only found occasional individuals before, indicating that they are spreading around the area.
This may be a species on the move, Neil. I lived in Abergavenny (2008-10) for 3 years and never saw any, but these last couple of years have seen them become more regular in the meadows south of the town.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Had he sat still, my favourite picture would have been one of the single individual I found on my local patch, my first sighting of one here, but he really wasn't settling for anyone. A good second place was one I found at Epping Forest, another first.
Marbled White male, Epping Forest.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Medard

Post by Medard »

Marbled Whites are not common here in Somerset but I have found a reliable site near Somerton , a steep climb to the site was a challenge this year but I got my reward with this picture.
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com
Attachments
Marbled White. (Melanargia galathea)
Marbled White. (Melanargia galathea)
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

One of my favourite butterflies. A good year at my two local sites Bewley Common and Beacon Hill, Wiltshire
1st June
1st June
2nd June
2nd June
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

David M wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:07 pm
Neil Freeman wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:19 pm Lots of Marbled Whites flying from late June at most of my local sites around Solihull this year including good numbers at a couple of sites where I had only found occasional individuals before, indicating that they are spreading around the area.
This may be a species on the move, Neil. I lived in Abergavenny (2008-10) for 3 years and never saw any, but these last couple of years have seen them become more regular in the meadows south of the town.
Definitely on the move across Warwickshire David, generally spreading north and west across the county.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

In 2012, I stopped the fortnightly mowing of the grass that the previous owner of my garden had practiced and the following year I saw a single Marbled White. I adopted a management designed to suit grassland butterflies and the Marbled White have thrived. In 2020 I counted over 30 on several occasions, best year yet.
Attachments
Marbled White, Garden, 17 June
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Marbled White

This was taken during one of my stop-offs on the way home – but unusually it was at Woodhenge and not Larkhill. I chose it as I like the way that the butterfly is sitting wings three quarter open and showing off the underside and topside at the same time as contrasting nicely with the yellow centre of the Ox-Eye Daisy.
15-06-2020 4.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Wolfson wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:06 am In 2012, I stopped the fortnightly mowing of the grass that the previous owner of my garden had practiced and the following year I saw a single Marbled White. I adopted a management designed to suit grassland butterflies and the Marbled White have thrived. In 2020 I counted over 30 on several occasions, best year yet.
Good for you, Wolfson. I'm all for tax relief being offered for those who allow a percentage of their private gardens to grow unencumbered. Insects would certainly vote for it! :)
David M

Post by David M »

Saw my first on 19 June at Bernwood Meadows in Oxfordshire. There were a couple of dozen dancing about just after 6 in the evening:
1MWups(1).jpg
There were plenty more on the menu in the French Alps in early July, and these have more pronounced black markings than our home-grown ones:
3.MarbW(1).jpg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

On a rare break-out from self-isolation, I took some exercise in Bernwood Forest, not far from home.

A Marbled White displayed in characteristic pose on a thistle head.
Bernwood, Oxon - 10th July 2020<br />Olympus E-M1-ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/500s@f/8 ISO 800
Bernwood, Oxon - 10th July 2020
Olympus E-M1-ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/500s@f/8 ISO 800
Mike
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Along with my Chalkhill and Common Blue 2020 FP's, this Marbled White shot was taken at Box Hill (zig-zag). No worries for insects about social distancing, sharing nectar on knapweed flower with a male Bombus lapidaries bumblebee.
IMG_5527 Melanargia galathea, Marbled White happy to share with Bombus lapidarius (male). t.jpg
Phil

Return to “Marbled White”