Marsh Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2011

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Marsh Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Vince Massimo »

This is a thread in which to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2011..................or the last time you saw one!

This is part of a series which will hopefully grow throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered, Three new threads will be introduced per week. Our overseas friends are welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to our rare migrants, but please try to observe the alphabetical listing :)

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances would be appreciated and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes and other interesting points.

Note that there are a number of sensitive colonies of this species, so please take care when giving the location of your sighting.

Vince
Reverdin

Re: Marsh Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Reverdin »

These came from the South of France in April...
aurinia.jpg
aurinia (2).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I hadn't seen Marsh Fritillary before this year, it was my first tick of the year. I found them at Hod Hill but made the mistake of getting there too early in the morning and it was cold and windy. Eventually the sun came out and the wind died down a little and I'd walked round the rings three times so I poured myself a coffee and waited for it to heat up a little bit more. I noticed all of a sudden butterflies all about! Dingy and Grizzled Skippers, Small Copper, Brown Argus, Common Blue, Small Heath, GV White - but not the Marsh Fritillary I came for. I went back to my luke warm coffee for my sip (having been a bit distracted) when a darker, larger butterfly caught my eye. I was simply stunning and looked a little like an avant garde artist had had some fun doing the paint job. The shot below was my favourite as it was one of my first and was different from the "classic" poses that I took later in the morning once I'd got my eye in.
114.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I have to show this aberration again, because it was for me a real highpoint of the year. I believe Vince saw it again a few days later, slightly the worse for wear. I also saw some lovely new normal individuals at the same site: Hod Hill. This holds a veritable cornucopia of species at this time of year and well worth the two-hour+ drive and the climb to the top. 30th April.

Dave
Attachments
upperside - aberrant (melanic) male
upperside - aberrant (melanic) male
underside of same individual
underside of same individual
normal - very fresh male
normal - very fresh male
Last edited by millerd on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

These are my favourites because they're my only photos, albeit of rather elderly specimens. I took three visits to Rhos Pil-bach in Ceridigion while holidaying with my extended family nearby, knowing I was unlikely to be near any Marsh Fritillary sites again any time soon, and I only found them on the last visit.

Rhos Pil-bach, Ceridigion, 3-Jun-2011. Sony A700, Tamron 180/3.5

(I'm not sure why the second image is currently coming up as 'password protected' - it isn't. Looks like a pbase error)
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I am always pleased to get a shot showing the proboscis unfurling. In addition, this example shows the 'greasy' appearance, which gave rise to the old names of 'dishclout' and 'greasy fritillary'.
Berkshire Downs - 2nd June 2011<br />Nikon D300s with 70-300VR - 1/500s @ f/8 ISO 400
Berkshire Downs - 2nd June 2011
Nikon D300s with 70-300VR - 1/500s @ f/8 ISO 400
This is a member of a fairly well known but sensitive colony on the Berkshire Downs - I did not see many this year.

Mike
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Here is the first photo of the first Marsh Fritillaries that I had ever seen. Taken close to New Quay in Ceredigion Wales on the 5/6/11.
Attachments
A pair of Marsh Fritillaries.
A pair of Marsh Fritillaries.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hod Hill on 4th May was sunny but breezy when I arrived at 11.40. Conditions were difficult, even in the sheltered spots, but I had got the shots I wanted by 2.40 when the sun went in. Just before leaving the site I saw a bright individual which looked like it had just emerged. It only flew in short hops and took long rests so I was able to get close.
Male Marsh Fritillary - Hod Hill, Dorset 4-May-11
Male Marsh Fritillary - Hod Hill, Dorset 4-May-11
I love Marsh Fritillary, partly because they are so variable and I do not get to see them as much as I would like. The colours on this individual are showing exactly as they were in the field on that day.

Vince
John W

Post by John W »

Here's my favourite, also taken at Hod Hill, on 30th April 2011. It was taken on the first (and only) day that I have seen these lovely creatures.
mf1.jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Spring in the mountains...

This was taken on 25th May this year:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

South of France.
April 2011
Memories...........
Attachments
IMG_0913.JPG
Cheers

Roger
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Seeing thousands of Marsh Fritillary larvae at a Gloucestershire site was definitely the highlight for me this year. Almost a photo :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wop-8hJ3WMA[/video]

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Sand Point, Weston-super-Mare was fun in May. Here is Chris Rowland pointing to the location where he found them. Zonda and I followed down the hill.
Jack
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Are you sure Jack? I have never seen Marsh Frits at Sand Point.
Glanvilles - yes, Marsh No.
Cheers

Roger
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Oh dear. I should NEVER have posted BEFORE going to the pub. You make far too many mistakes when sober. For example. it is a fact that in only some 10% of road accidents, the driver has been drinking. It's the drivers who haven't been drinking who are statistically more likely to be involved in an accident.

BTW, I reckon Clarkson should be Chancellor. Think of all the taxpayers billions in pension money that would be saved if his plan went ahead.

Jack (still sober)
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Jack Harrison wrote:...it is a fact that in only some 10% of road accidents, the driver has been drinking. It's the drivers who haven't been drinking who are statistically more likely to be involved in an accident.
Jack (like Jeremy C) was joking. Nevertheless, the socially responsible, humourless moderator in me obliges me to point out that this is abuse of statistics. Assuming that fewer than 10% of drivers at any given time have been drinking, the fact that 10% of accidents involve drink means that drinking increases your chances of having an accident. If anyone thinks Jack is condoning the criminal act of drink-driving, they misunderstood him. :D

Back to the thread, which is pictures of marsh fritillaries...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I'm just back from the pub so I can now think clearly. Where was I? Are yes, Marsh Frits. Didn't see any this year so I post this picture to confirm my observations.
MarshFrit-(not-seen).jpg
MarshFrit-(not-seen).jpg (1.69 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
Jack
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I did not see any Marsh Fritillaries either this year.
It looks like you got a better photo of not seeing any than I managed Jack.

Cheers,

Neil F.

Return to “Marsh Fritillary”