Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D The Small Torts do seem to have picked up now I was worried for a bit :D I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to get the :mrgreen: back :wink: :lol:

Out and about again….08-04-2024 the 'about'...

As usual I started off down the back path, where the Nettles were starting to reach to just below the knee in some spots, and also as usual there were a couple of Peacocks to greet me, three in fact. With something in the bag I moved round to the little field at the Hotspot. A brace of Brimstones drifted across the lush growth whilst a Peacock and a Small Tort both put in an appearance. I decided to try and have a look into the old pond but it proved impenetrable and so I walked back round the wall of briar and started to wander back along the path when a silvery-blue blob drifted down from the top of the tree. At first I had it down as just a feather dislodge from a Woodpigeon as it exploded off when I first arrived but its descent seemed more jinky so I moved towards it. When I was a couple of metres away I could suddenly see that it was in fact a Holly Blue down low enough that instead of having to stand on tip-toes and peer at it I was able to kneel down and get level to them. I then clicked away even trying for a few backlit shots from the other side. My second ‘first photographed’ for the year.
08-04-2024 12.JPG
08-04-2024 13.JPG
08-04-2024 14.JPG
08-04-2024 15.JPG
08-04-2024 16.JPG
Pleased I set off along the Bank Path checking out the Dips…Dip 1 had 2 Brimstones at the far side and a sole Peacock. Dip 2 and 3 were both quiet and the at the half way a Brimstone passed by and a Small Tort basked on the spot of the recently cleared bramble. I was starting to run out of steam so I decided to do a final run to the end and back before heading for home. I found however that my tiredness swiftly departed at the sight of two Small Torts down on the deck and within 30cm of each other. I hoped that they may have started courting but instead the closer individual orientated itself on the edge of a low growing nettle leaf and curved its abdomen round. After a few shots of this ovipositing Small Tort I did a slow and wide walk round to get to the second which was sitting and holding its wings in such a way as to look like a low tent. At the end of this sheltered little spot I spotted a third Small Tort. I know that this was definitely a different one as it had the lowest wing to body ratio that I’ve encountered! How it would be able to fly I still can’t fathom but eventually when a break in the cloud appeared off it went, albeit somewhat clumsily. After a final Peacock at the hotspot I started back along the back path pausing for a female Brimstone on the way and then that as they say was that. Isn’t it great when the forecasters get it wrong in such a way?
08-04-2024 17.JPG
08-04-2024 18.JPG
08-04-2024 19.JPG
08-04-2024 20.JPG
08-04-2024 21.JPG
08-04-2024 22.JPG
08-04-2024 23.JPG
08-04-2024 24.JPG
08-04-2024 25.JPG
08-04-2024 26.JPG
A duo of trips
Green-veined and a Holly Blue
A duo of ‘firsts’

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

May 2024

Well this is when things should start kicking off...anytime now...any second...maybe... :? :roll:
05-2024.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Walk to the shops 09-04-2024

This was actually supposed to be a quick walk to Waitrose to pick up a free coffee and a few other bits and bobs but I took my camera and went the long way round (via Five Rivers) primarily to see if I could catch up with the Green-veined White. As it was only a short visit I restricted myself to only wandering the Glades and the first section of the Banks. The sun shone infrequently and so my wanderings would be punctuated with pauses at particular places whilst I awaited the sun to break through the cloud. When it did everywhere was bathed in a golden glow, the green of the grass seemed to ‘pop’ as fashionistas would say and the temperature went from chilly to pleasant almost in the blink of an eye such was the increasing strength of the spring sun. At Specklie Intersection the resident Specklie sat and awaited the return of the sun and as is usual Peacocks abounded but all were very flightly.
09-04-2024 1.JPG
09-04-2024 2.JPG
09-04-2024 3.JPG
All in all pretty quiet and I was considering giving it a break and heading back to Waitrose, the real reason for the outing, and consigning this to the ‘sort it maybe later’ file or even the bin. However as I came out into one of the more open sections of the Glades a white fluttered by. To my eyes the Green-veined White always seems more square cut, more angular in silhouette so I was fairly convinced that this UFW was one. I watched and waited and after plenty of false stops it eventually landed and so blossom. This made for an attractive background but unfortunately it had chosen its perch poorly for photography as it had landed at about shoulder height on one of the outermost branches at the very edge of the clearing and in the full force of the wind which was gusting stronger from across the other side of the river straight through the clearing. It shook about all over the place, not just nipping in and out of focus but disappearing in and out of the viewfinder. Gingerly so as not to disturb it (I don’t know why I thought that as it was already sitting on the equivalent of a bucking bronco!) I reached out and walked my hand up the branch until eventually I was holding the sprig of blossom steady and then I clicked away one handed. Having reversed the process and stepped back I watched it feeding away and then it took to the air.
09-04-2024 4.JPG
09-04-2024 5.JPG
Normally that would be that but I couldn’t really be sure that I’d gotten the shots and so I watched it and when it went down again, this time lower down in the vegetation in a much more sheltered spot I set to stalking it so that I could get some more/back-up images. It bumbled about a few times, not flying very far between groundings seemingly sampling the developing smorgasbord of nectar that Five Rivers had to offer. After a while it sat on a leaf for a bit, possibly letting its dinner go down, and when it took off it seemed to fly with a different gait; more powerful, more direct, less falling with style and more making headway. So I watched it disappear off into the wilds of Five Rivers whilst I went to the wilds of Waitrose…
09-04-2024 6.JPG
09-04-2024 7.JPG
09-04-2024 8.JPG
09-04-2024 9.JPG
09-04-2024 10.JPG
Green-veined White succumbs
From a little shopping trip
Better behaved too

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

You've had it on a plate recently, Wurzel.
Small Tortoiseshells, Holly Blues that come within camera range, and Brimstones that stop!

A great Spring selection above.
millerd

Post by millerd »

A very nice spring female GVW, Wurzel. :) They can be very annoying, as they do tempt you by stopping regularly but often not long enough for you to make the shot. Worth the effort, though. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D This season has been a bit like the poem "There was a little girl"; when its good its very good :D Just a pity that has been so seldom :roll:
Cheers Dave :D You're spot on with your explanation of why the G.V.W. can be so annoying, they must be the fastest drinkers on the planet :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Martin Down 12-04-2024

It felt like the time was right, Greenstreaks had been seen at nearby Battlesbury and some other sites further afield so I made for Martin Down in the hope that they’d be flying here too. Reasoning that Greenstreak Field would be my best bet for finding an early Greenstreak I turned off the main road and drove down into Martin before turning right up Sillen’s Lane. At the end of last season the surface had been levelled here and there but I reckoned that there may be some new pot holes that had been formed over the very wet winter. What I hadn’t expected was to be driving up a stream to get to the car park! Luckily someone had put a traffic cone in the deepest submerged pot hole so I came through relatively unscathed and I hoped that on the return journey things would be a bit easier as the water would have had a chance to drain away.
12-04-2024 1.JPG
The wet theme continued once I was out of the car and walking along the hedge. The recently dug drainage gulley was filled to the brim and various sections of the track were quagmires (giggity) so I picked my way carefully on towards the Tunnel track cross-eyed from trying to watch the hedge and where my feet were at the same time. As I made slow progress I was accompanied for some of the way by a Peacock that was doing that odd thing that butterflies do; it would take off, fly a head of me and then settle down on the path only to be surprised once again when I rumbled up to it. The Tunnel tracks look slightly more habitable after their drastic haircut last year and so I started scanning ever more hopefully as I made my way down and then back up the track. My hope became false though with only a Holly Blue flying too high for my lens and a brace of Specklies at either end of the track. Slightly dejectedly I rounded the corner and made my way to the corner of Greenstreak field which usually produces the goods but despite waiting around and examining the Gorse bush and its surrounding scrub in minute detail the hotspot and the Hollow Hotspot only housed a single Brimstone.
12-04-2024 2.JPG
12-04-2024 3.JPG
12-04-2024 4.JPG
12-04-2024 5.JPG
From here I decided to walk up to the top following the Dyke. I occasionally paused my ascent; stopping here and there along the way to nip down into the Dyke because I’d seen something, to run up the other side as there was something on the opposite bank or because there was a promising looking spot at the bottom. First an Adder turned up and then a Small White took up some of my time. Normally I wouldn’t bother too much beyond a record shot but as this was only the second definite one that I’d seen and also the first that played nicely enough for a photo I tarried longer than usual with it. The next pause came about due to another Adder, coiled up and basking half way down the bank. I must have trodden a bit too heavily on my approach because as I got into range it slithered off…only to reveal another, slightly large one beneath it! Then I arrested my climb for a Green-veined White which was almost as twitchy as the first one I’d encountered. As well as being annoyingly flighty it also chose the steepest, tallest part of the Dyke to land at the top of.
12-04-2024 6.JPG
12-04-2024 7.JPG
12-04-2024 8.JPG
12-04-2024 9.JPG
12-04-2024 10.JPG
12-04-2024 11.JPG
There were also a few Brimstones flying along the way up which made me consider my next step once I’d reached the top hence I pressed on right to the very top and then briefly down the other side following a Brimstone at first but then when I started back up I spotted a Comma which I’d previously walked straight past. Once at the top there was really only one way to go and so I retraced my steps back down, periodically peering into the depths of the Dyke. The highlights of the return trip were a female Brimstone and a large brown and tan Adder, whose size suggested that it was a female? As I reached to lower slope a brace of Brimstones bombed past and shortly I was back in the Greenstreak field staring at the hedge once more and trying to pick out an emerald triangle with no success.
12-04-2024 12.JPG
12-04-2024 13.JPG
12-04-2024 14.JPG
12-04-2024 15.JPG
As Greenstreak field was still not living up to its name I mooched across the main track and started along the line of vegetation up towards the island of scrub in the middle of the down and from there to the little clearing on the inside. On the way two Specklies and a GVW both showed up with only one of the Specklies stopping for a photo. Once I’d fought my way into the clearing I was rewarded with…a single Specklie which was a poor reward for the time and effort put in and the cuts and scratches I received in getting in there in the first place. I was starting to feel a little tired and so I clawed and ducked my way back out and then down the hill and then up the hill and then back down to the start/end of the Tunnel tracks. I walked the length and the butterflies were more of the same as seen before in the following order; Peacock, Specklie and then 2 male and 2 female Brimstones.
12-04-2024 16.JPG
12-04-2024 17.JPG
12-04-2024 18.JPG
12-04-2024 19.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Sounds like a hazardous trip to Martin Down, Wurzel, what with tracks under water and snakes tripping you up... I guess that more will be out since that visit - even though you're only three weeks behind! Careful - you'll catch up with time! :)

Good to see the serpentine shots - great additions (!) to your repertoire. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

That's a stunning Green-veined White in your 'Waitrose' post, Wurzel. I've seen a few but they won't play ball like your one did, lovely upper and undersides :) Great shots of the Adders, we had better watch our step if we pay avisit Martin Down :shock:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D It does feel a little weird being this 'caught up', a bit like I've Quantum leapt into the future :shock: :lol: In fact I'd caught up with the writing of my reports last week - so I had to go out a couple more times just to settle my nerves :shock: There are one or two more Adders coming in the not so distant future
Cheers Maximus :D I think I got lucky with the GVW as it might have just finished hardening its wings so it need to fuel up :D If you wear a pair of hefty boots and stomp about you win't have to worry about Adders - they'll be long gone :wink: :lol:

Martin Down 12-04-2024 Part 2

By now I’d realised that this wasn’t going to be one of those vintage visits and so I decided to head for home. As is so often the way of course that’s when the butterflies started appearing. As I left the Tunnels and got back onto the main track along the hedge back to the car park I looked ahead and watched a Peacock take off from the middle of the track when a male Brimstone passed by on its patrol. Further in the distance I spied out three more Brimstones at various points along the hedge as well as the inky black silhouette of a second Peacock. Whilst seeing all of these butterflies making their way along the hedge was great it suddenly got even better. Right at the far end, near to the little turn off blocked by the hay bales I spotted the cream tangerine of a male Orange-tip making its way towards me.

I hastened along the path to meet it half-way which was the least I could do and as I drew near to it I found a likely looking spot and stood and watched. It carried on past me and then 10 metres or so away it turned and started back. I watched it do a couple of passes of this circuit and clocked that it seemed to linger over a patch of Stitchwort so while it was on its way to the furthest reach of its territory I moved over to the aforementioned flower patch and waited. I then got a little lucky break for as it started flying over the white flowers the sun momentarily dipped behind a passing cloud and so the butterfly went down. I grabbed a few shots and then another set when the sun once again dipped in. So Orange-tip in the bag which can only mean that we are definitely now in spring (even if the weather seems to be stuck in a late autumn loop).
12-04-2024 20.JPG
12-04-2024 21.JPG
12-04-2024 22.JPG
12-04-2024 23.JPG
I didn’t want the day to end there, and refueled on Caffiene, I girded my loins to make the drive over to the other side which would mean having to brave the stream once more. I thought it would have drained slightly by now but if anything it seemed deeper; possibly the previous rain had finally completed its infiltration and so was eager to get once more to the sea! It made for an interesting 10 minutes and I’m not sure that I got out of first gear but I main thing was that I made it to the Main car park in one piece and the undercarriage would be sparklingly clean.

I walked along the main track, the tall hedges on either side hemming me in and then turned right and worked along the line of the hedge. All was quiet and all I added to the memory card were a few shots of yet another Adder in the usual spot by the decaying branch. I wandered over to the start of the Dyke, climbed down and conscious of the number of Adders I’d seen, worked ever so carefully along the length. A Small Tort stopped and started its way along the bottom of the path attacking both of the only other butterflies that I saw; an Orange-tip which didn’t hang around an merely shrugged off the larger, bolshey butterfly and a Brimstone which took the attack as an affront and slunk off with its abdomen tucked between its’ tarsi.
12-04-2024 24.JPG
12-04-2024 25.JPG
As it was so quiet here I crossed the road and worked up the dusty track towards Kitts Grave and Vernditch. Two different Peacocks sunbathed on the dusty track but despite seemingly induced into a coma by the sun were off like a shot as I drew near. An Orange-tip stopped ever so fleetingly a few times, toying with me. The strong gusting breeze that rattled tis way straight up the track didn’t help either for when it finally sat still and supped a little nectar it was rocked back and forth violently. After completing a circuit I’d only added a few more Peacocks and Brimstones to the days tally so I made my way home. I was sure that I’d find a Greenstreak but perhaps it was still a little early; maybe next week?
12-04-2024 26.JPG
12-04-2024 27.JPG
12-04-2024 28.JPG
12-04-202429.JPG
Corn Bunting
Corn Bunting
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Five Rivers 13-04-2024

When I looked at of the window there was a blue sky and the sun was shining. In fact when I popped into town for the usual Saturday morning errands I didn’t even wear a coat and I was still comfortable so when I got back and everything was stored away I jumped in the car and drove over to Five Rivers to take advantage of good weather. While waiting at one set of traffic lights it suddenly dawned on me why the weather was improving…it was the final weekend of the break! So all the rain, hail, gales, cloud cover and cooler temperatures would now be replaced by something much more temperate now that I would be ensconced in a classroom all day! This made me even more determined to squeeze butterflies out of every single minute of the visit.

I parked behind the Glades and tripped through and to the bank at Comma Corner where I spied my first butterfly of the day; a Small White fluttering as if it had just woken up and was bumbling around the kitchen bleary eyed. It started to perk up and with each successive flower that it visited it seemed to fly a little faster, a little more directly and so I followed it round the back of the copse before it set off determinedly across the middle of the fields. I returned my gaze back to the foliage of the copse where first one and then a second Holly Blue detached themselves from their perch and jinked up and down the tree line. Frustratingly they remained up too high for my lens to reach and so in the end I left them to it and walked right round and back to Comma Corner where a Peacock was sunbathing and a brace of Commas were battling it out for the best spot.
13-04-2024 1.JPG
13-04-2024 2.JPG
I then strolled down the slight slope to Specklie Intersection, which held a Brimstone rather than the expected Specklie, and from there onto the Banks. I hadn’t covered much ground when a Red Admiral took off form an unseen spot in the vegetation. I was shocked when I saw the red epaulets as I’d expected it to be a Peacock as I’d not seen an Admiral since February. I wondered if it was a recent incomer or a stalwart survivor but either way it still had plenty of vim and vigour and played quite hard to get, leading me on a merry dance along the first section of The Banks up to the little break in the trees. Once I was through said trees and on the more open Mid Banks I picked up another Peacock and another Red Admiral although it could have been the same one, it was difficult to tell as once again it played hard to get, resting for just long enough that I decided to risk an approach and then taking off as my first footstep fell.
13-04-2024 3.JPG
13-04-2024 4.JPG
Once I reached the end I carried on down the bank and along the path to the little cleared section at the far corner. A flash of orange showed up the presence of an Orange-tip and just below it a Small Tort whilst a Peacock gets short shrift slightly further on. I spent some time with the OT following it this way and that as it quartered the miniature clearing. Occasionally I’d step into the bed and pick my way round the clumps of flowers to try for a few shots. After several circuits it strayed a little further form its patrol zone and then disappeared over the hedge and into the allotments beyond. I started back along the path and encountered the OT again. This time it plopped down close to the edge of the path and I was able to get in really close. As I was straightening back up a Holly Blue fluttered to the middle of the shallow bank before dropping down in the grass. It must have got confused and thought that it was a Common Blue when normally they are almost Hairstreak in behaviour as it sat there amid the tufts of grass in a habitat that was more Grass Downland than Woodland.
13-04-2024 5.JPG
13-04-2024 6.JPG
13-04-2024 7.JPG
13-04-2024 8.JPG
13-04-2024 9.JPG
13-04-2024 10.JPG
13-04-2024 11.JPG
13-04-2024 12.JPG
13-04-2024 13.JPG
13-04-2024 14.JPG
I worked my way back along the Banks stopping regularly to either note down a sighting, try for a few shots or maybe even both. The order ran Peacock, Peacock, Specklie, Brimstone and then as I neared the end of the Banks two Red Admirals (so it might have been ‘another’ earlier and not ‘the same’) and a further two Brimstones in the final short stretch. Round at Comma Corner instead of a Comma or the ‘Johnny-come-lately vying for naming rights Peacock I found a Small Tort of all things and then I dove back into the dappled light of and bright clearings of the Glades...TBC :wink:
13-04-2024 15.JPG
13-04-2024 16.JPG
13-04-2024 17.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

A :mrgreen: for that final Orange Tip shot. Great capture!
I'm waiting for that line from the sound of music ' the hills are alive '!
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a terrific Spring Assortment, Wurzel. :) I do like the Orange Tip shots on bluebells - they never seem to go for them round here unfortunately. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Sometimes you follow them this way and that for hours and other times they just plop down in front of you, probably just for a breather after exhausting themselves giving us the run around :wink: Drew a blank at the Hill but judging by other reports from nearby the diva is doing the pre-performance gargle :wink:
Cheers Dave :D Round here they don't have much choice so they have to get what they're given or they can lump it :wink: :lol:

Part 2...

Once safely ensconced a set about scanning and quickly spotted a Comma taking a breather on the large clump of Bramble whilst a Holly Blue flutters along the tops of the nettles teasing me and flying up to the tops of the surround trees the minute I made a move. This time I kept walking along the riverside path when I reached the last little scallop of the Glades before it opens out in plain old grass lawn I found the Glades in microcosm. A bold and brash Brimstone rattled overhead and a Specklie that was frequenting the middle of the nettle patch was clearly in a bothered state of agitation. As I looked a little closer to try and work out what was going on first one, then two Holly Blue took off and went for the Specklie. They seemed to be working as a tag team and then, having driven off the large butterfly they turned on each other. The brief glimpse that I’d had convinced me that one of the Holly Blues was in better nick than the other so I waited to see which would land…
Whisper...whisper...just $@&$ing well open up!
Whisper...whisper...just $@&$ing well open up!
13-04-2024 19.JPG
13-04-2024 20.JPG
Happy to have caught up with the brace of Blues I finished up my circuit back in the main Glades finding a Green-veined White, female Brimstone and a very tattered Comma. Then as I strolled back to the car I totted up and my tally had reached 10, my first double digit trip of the year which could only lead to one question…where to next?
13-04-2024 21.JPG
13-04-2024 22.JPG
13-04-2024 23.JPG
13-04-2024 24.JPG
13-04-2024 25.JPG
After a bit of an internal debate which lasted the length of the drive out of the car park I headed over to The Devenish. I eschewed the Paddocks as a cursory glance had shown that there wasn’t an awful lot in terms of nectar and so I made my way along the short woodland track and through the gate into the Orchid Meadow. Almost as soon as I was in the meadow I spotted a Comma and then a Green-veined White. I wandered to the far end and watched a male and female Brimstone drift from one side of the field to another whilst a male Orange-tip passed behind me on its patrol. This was swiftly followed by a second heading in the same direction but on the opposite side of the field. I mooched about at the top end of the field for a bit and while I was there notched up 4 Brimstones, a Peacock and a Red Admiral as well a brace of Orange-tips which I assumed were the original pair. But not a one stopped!
13-04-2024 1a.JPG
Moff!
Moff!
I felt like waiting and seeing wasn’t going to cut it as the afternoon sun had pumped the butterflies up so I took to Wandering and Watching instead. This meant climbing up to the top and strolling along through the woodland walk but it this also saw a poor rate of return; a lot of walking for only a few Brimstones fluttering along the rides. True one did look spectacular as it floated through the nearly naked Beech Hanger intermittently catching the sun and so looking like a fast-moving flame. I took the stairs back down into the Paddock and walked the length with two Orange-tips patrolling, a Green-veined White past and a Small White, Peacock and Holly Blue all hanging around at the end with a further 4 Brimstones past. But again nothing stopped!! Therefore I thought the few photos would end up going into the ‘Maybe do later’ file or worse still the bin. However then a male OT dropped in so the post was back in the game as I managed to grab a handful of shots of it as it noodled about and before I headed homewards.
13-04-2024 3a.JPG
13-04-2024 4a.JPG
13-04-2024 5a.JPG
13-04-2024 6a.JPG
Was today the day?
Could I get to 10 species?
Today was that day!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Doing well with the OT's this year and the second Comma looks fresh out the box, Where's that been hiding!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Bugboy :D I know what you mean about that Comma, I had to check the calendar on my phone in case I'd entered a temporal loop, I also called out 'Doc Brown?' a few times :wink: :lol: The Orange-tips have been good this year, I think the cooler and cloudier weather has been advantageous :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A stolen afternoon…18-04-2024

I woke up at the usual weekday time and then half way through my breakfast I remembered that I had the joy of a Hospital appointment. Once that was dealt with I took a quick walk over to Waitrose to pick up something for lunch as all my other victuals were stashed at work and as the sun was still shining I took my camera as well. I walked on the sunny side of the pavement along the back route through the housing estate and as I did so I could feel the warmth of the sun on my back which prompted me to start paying a little more attention to the vegetation along the verges and in the small gardens. I reached the fake pond (where tiles and stones have been placed so as to look like flowing water replete with both a nest containing eggs and several stone ducks and ducklings) and took a slight diversion so that I could have a look at the flower beds on the other side of the miniature park. As I drew near I spotted the telltale flash of bright orange and so I hastened over and started clicking away at the male OT. It seemed that it had only just awoken as it stretched open fully as I clicked away some more.
18-04-2024 1.JPG
18-04-2024 2.JPG
I left it to finish its sunbathing and carried on along the path but when I reached the little patch of green I had to tarry a little longer as first a female Brimstone went up and then the Orange-tip dropped in for a little light breakfast on the smorgasbord of early flowers. I grabbed a few more shots but mainly just stood back and enjoyed the sight of it bumbling form flower to flower. Things went quieter once I’d left the calm of the estate although a Holly Blue fluttered around the entrance of the car park.
18-04-2024 3.JPG
18-04-2024 4.JPG
Once I’d eaten lunch I still had an hour or so before I needed to think about picking up L from school and so I chanced my arm and drove the short distance over to Martin Down. I was hoping that Sillen’s Lane would be back in operation but there was still a stream flowing along the track, albeit less deep than previously. I pulled into the car park and set off along the length of the hedge. There were plenty of Brimstones of both sexes flying away in the distance but a bit closer to home was an male Orange-tip which was rapidly closing the distance to me. When it was almost on top of me it ducked down into the long grass and then two butterflies popped back up. One was the male but the other was my first female OT of the year. Normally this would allow a close approach as the male courted and the female either accepted or declined his offer. There was a little bit of negative abdomen waving but instead of being able to settle down and get some open wing shots the female was off across the Down leaving the male behind and in no doubt of his rejection.
18-04-2024 5.JPG
I carried on noting a Comma, Peacock, numerous Brimstones and then more of the same along the Tunnel track with the addition of a Holly Blue. At the end I turned left and then worked up and over the side of the Iron age workings and down the other side eventually arriving past stands of Gorse (looking out of place in the middle of a Chalk Down) and scrubby thorns at the ‘usual spot’ in Greenstreak field. A Brimstone fluttered along the line of the hedge and as it reached the break where the narrowest of paths leads through a much smaller, dark brown butterfly took off from a previously unobserved spot, flew out and viciously attacked. Brill I’d found my first Greenstreaks of the season. I then settled down and took shots after shot of this delightful little butterfly.
18-04-2024 6.JPG
18-04-2024 7.JPG
18-04-2024 8.JPG
After a while, my appetite for a ‘new species’ sated I decided to have a look to see if I could find an early Grizzlie. To that end I ducked and bobbed through the tiny track and worked round to the Terraces. It was slightly disappointing as there didn’t seem to be too much, if any nectar sources available. I carried on hoping that the half-way point would prove a bit more butterfly filled however all it could muster was a brace of Brimstones and a distant Small White so I retraced my steps all the way back to the Greenstreak field. Once there I settled down again with the Greenstreak which was occupying the same territory flying between a couple of Bramble leaves low to the ground, a perch half way up the tall, spindly Gorse and a branch in a birch tree at the side of the path. I showed a couple of other observers and then as I was making off a second Greenstreak put in a brief appearance almost as if to wave me off.
18-04-2024 9.JPG
18-04-2024 10.JPG
From here I made my back up the Hill fort and along the Tunnel Track towards the main hedge. Again the were several Peacocks, a multitude of Brimstones and at least three male Orange-tips patrolling the length of the hedge. A much whiter, almost square cut white hove into view and I watched it pass by so it became a Green-veined White. When I was about half way along the track I slowed down as I could see a Peacock on the deck up ahead and beyond that a Comma yet as I watched and tried to work out how to approach them a Red Admiral flew in from the field and put both of the others up. I would love to have gotten a shot with all three Aristos in view but alas I had to make do with just watching and snatches of old jokes came to mind; “A Comma and a Peacock were sitting in a bar when in came Red Admiral…” but again alas I couldn’t come up with a punchline beyond “…he’s a Red Mad-miral”. I’ll get me coat… :oops:

Back with the butterflies it all went very white after that Brimstones and the odd Orange-tip but there was also a couple of Green-veined Whites patrolling as well. One got slightly confused and took somewhat of a liking to a female Brimstone, even deigning to try and force an ardent male out of the way. It didn’t succeed but the male Brimstone didn’t have it all his way as he was soon joined by a second male neither of whose attentions the female wanted. AT one point all three went down but not for long and it seemed to be a subtle ruse by the female because as soon as the males grounded she shot up and off across the fields away to the Downs! After this I attempted to follow one of the male OT’s but it had reached that point in the day when they’d basked and armed up enough and it was far too early to think about roosting so they just flew and flew and flew. I did finish off with a white though as a Green-veined White plopped down on practically the last clump of Dandelion before the lush and verdant grass transitioned into the hardcore of the car park.
18-04-2024 11.JPG
18-04-2024 12.JPG
18-04-2024 13.JPG
I then drove home and straight over to Five Rivers so that I was ready to pick L up from school. I pulled up so that my car was visible from the back gate and then wandered over the grass and down onto the riverside path that leads to the Glades. A male OT popped up from a small patch of Red Nettles and shot off as is their way during wall-to-wall sunshine but I didn’t mind as somehow I managed to spot a roosting female at the other end of the Glades. She was sitting on a piece of Cow Parsley and doing her best to imitate the little white florets. A slither of sun crept through the thickening canopy and gave it just enough light to take to the air but she made a bit of a mistake and flew deeper into the shade. Too slow she realised and ended up almost belly-flopping down into some Stingers. With so careful manipulation using a few twigs I managed to hold back the obscuring leaves and get a few shots before leaving her in peace and stepping out from the shade of the Glade and into the sun along the path to Specklie Intersection.
18-04-2024 14.JPG
18-04-2024 15.JPG
18-04-2024 16.JPG
Along the Banks various Peacocks and Commas flew, about half way along a Green-veined White flew by and stopped a few times but only long enough for me to get close enough to confirm it’s ID but not long enough to actually get a shot off. Both a Red Admiral and Small Tort did fly-bys but these are starting to show their age now as they’re often the first species out and about after the winter at this site. At the far corner another OT fed briefly on some Bluebells and then I turned around and worked back counting as I moved along the Banks. By the time I was back at Specklie Intersection I racked up 2 Brimstones, 7 Peacocks, 3 Commas and singletons of Specklie and Green-veined White. Pleased with this I climbed up the small bank and had a peek at Comma Corner. Sure enough there was a Comma sitting in the middle of the cleared zone and then a second just off to one side.
18-04-2024 17.JPG
18-04-2024 18.JPG
18-04-2024 19.JPG
18-04-2024 20.JPG
18-04-2024 21.JPG
Time was starting to run out and so I picked up the pace and hurried back towards the car. However I stopped in at the end of the Glades for a few minutes as I’d managed to relocate the roosting female OT. She hadn’t gone much further, just sort of slipped a little lower down the stem. As I was wrapping up with the final shots my phone went off and I quickly reverted to ‘Dad mode’ and so wished the OT luck and headed back to the car park to pick up. As I drove home we talked about our days and then I made a shocking realization…I hadn’t check the weather apps once, I’d just gone for it!
18-04-2024 22.JPG
18-04-2024 23.JPG
What a citrus day
With Oranges and lemons
Finally some Limes.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Lovely Orange-tips and Green Hairstreaks there Wurzel :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D It was nice to 'tick' off my bogey species nice and early in their flight, and even better as it was a mid-week trip which for me is rarer than the poo of a rocking horse :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brown’s Folly 20-04-2024

My wife and K fancied a visit to Bath and so I was to be the taxi service. Once we’d located the Park and Ride despite the best efforts of the SATNAV to thwart us I dropped them off and then had 5 or so hours to explore an entirely new site. I was hoping to find an early Grizzlie and so I’d chosen a site which apparently held this species as well as Greenstreaks and with a good mix of habitats; Brown’s Folly. It meant driving through the city and out the other side and for some of the way I had to traverse the Zone C with its signs threatening legal action if the fees weren’t paid :shock: :? but eventually I was driving up a very narrow and ridiculously steep road to the small car park perched on the side of the hill. From here there was a stroll up a much less steep rise through an open beech wood and while I walked I also checked on the internet and was reassured that the Zone C fee didn’t apply to my car – phew! :D

As I reached the top of the rise the track that I was only veered sharply to the left, carrying on along the top of the hill, but I went though the gate and started down wooden stairs cut into the hillside, admiring the breathtaking vista as I went. Though the sun was shining in a blue sky there was still a nip in the air so I was hoping that radiant would win out of ambient heat. About half the way down something small and dark flashed past and there was something about the ‘jink’ that made me exclaim ‘Greenstreak’. I kept and eye on it and it landing on a supporting post of the barbed wire fence. I tried to approach it but even in the cool of the morning it was still very twitchy and after a few distant record shots it was off to the other side of the fence and I lose it amongst the unfurling green leaves. Still, I was off the mark as it were.
20-04-2024 1.JPG
I completed my descent and then walked over the closely cropped turf as it undulated between long extinct workings. This area of the site seemed to consist of this terrace with a near vertical cliff (with caves to boot) on one side and a steep hill terminating in a wood at the bottom. I trawled across the old workings, this way and that, examining every patch of Wild Strawberry or Dandelion along the way but all I found was a Peacock right at start of my ramblings. As I reached the other side of the quarry area on my third pass I took the diagonal path that cut across the steep hill down towards the very bottom of the quarry area. The path came to a gate from whence it dove back into the surrounding wood so because the quarry area had proved so quiet I carried on following the ride. After about 100 metres I passed through 2, possibly 3, different Peacock territories, found a Specklie and seen two male Holly Blues (unfortunately all were up high). This gave me the sense that things had finally started waking up and so I started back following a fork in the track which brought me back to the quarry about half way along the bottom fence.
20-04-2024 2.JPG
20-04-2024 3.JPG
Once back in the quarry I worked along the fence line at the bottom, scrubby grasses on one side and on the other a short sere into woodland with some transitional Hawthorns just within arms reach. As is often the way I was about to call it quits here when in the corner I spotted a familiar looking emerald triangle in the penultimate Hawthorn. It was a bit of a pain, being slightly too high and slightly too far for my lens. But that’s the good thing about Greenstreaks – you seldom have to wait long for them to change position. This time the one I was watching was forced from it’s perch by a second that flew in from where I don’t and so they both set off across the thin turf scarping for all they were worth. When they drifted apart one landed lower down whilst the visitor reseated themselves on the Hawthorn. I spent a bit of time here cursing the choice of perch and the fence that prevented me getting closer in equal measure.
20-04-2024 5.JPG
20-04-2024 6.JPG
20-04-2024 7.JPG
20-04-2024 8.JPG
20-04-2024 9.JPG
With one or three Greenstreak shots on the memory card and the day warming up nicely I decided to another check around the upper part of the site. I wandered right to the top to the Folly and then along the middle terrace like part of the quarry. At the end with the wooden stairs I spotted a flash of light blue and as I drew nearer I could see a Holly Blue which was intent on sampling some of the delicacies left behind by the resident goats. As it kept going down to the deck I knelt down and waited for it to come close enough to grab a few shots and eventually it complied stopping within crawling distance a couple of times. I then cut back down the steep hill with both male and female Brimstones on the way down, a passing Orange-tip at the bottom before I found a handy rock to set up lunch on. As I enjoyed my coffee and munched down on the Mixed pickle sandwich a brace of Peacocks entertained me, dinner and a show almost.
20-04-2024 10.JPG
20-04-2024 11.JPG
20-04-2024 12.JPG
20-04-2024 13.JPG
Refreshed and replenished I started back along the bottom fence line with the aim of relocating a Greenstreak. As I stared at the penultimate Hawthorn I found a Greenstreak. But something didn’t look right and as I drew near I discovered why – there wasn’t just one but two Greenstreaks, Greenstreaks in cop a first for me! Now I doubly cursed the fence and their choice of lofty boudoir! However providence struck and a third Greenstreak passed by and tried to get in on the action displacing the couple. I watched with bated breath as they took off, still coupled, and flew up and around the Hawthorn. Then they reappeared and drifted down, down, down to the ground into the grass. Even luckier their move had confused the potent love rival and so after a little gentle pruning I was able to click away to my hearts’ content garnering plenty of images of the happy couple.
20-04-2024 14.JPG
20-04-2024 15.JPG
20-04-2024 16.JPG
20-04-2024 17.JPG
20-04-2024 19.JPG
Once I’d taken more than enough photos, then a few more as well just to be sure and then a final set to be sure to be sure I started dawdling my way back to the car park taking the woodland ride that I briefly ventured along before. This time I was greeted by a Peacock which was holding the first territory and then a Large White which bombed along the track before ducking down to take a few quick sips of nectar from various of the Dandelions. I carried on along the track through 2 more Peacock territories with each sitting diligently on the track. As I would get close, probably to within a metre they would take off and fly slightly further along the path, only to repeat the behaviour as I continued to progress until they breached their neighbours territory. Then both would spiral up into the heavens until they ran out of steam, would detach and drift lazily back down their respective spots. As I walked I was also joined by at least three Orange-tips one of which paused at nearly every single Herb Robert plant on the verge. This proved to be a very reliable way to try for some shots. I’d watch it start nectaring and then make my way gingerly towards it, clicking as I went, almost a more cautious form of the ‘Click-step’. The difference this time was that if it took off there was a very good chance it would land only one or two plants over. When it got to the end the patch it would move rapidly off only to call in at the next clump and repeat the whole procedure again.
20-04-2024 20.JPG
20-04-2024 21.JPG
20-04-2024 22.JPG
As I moved further into the wood I added a brace of Holly Blues and both a male and female Brimstone. Then came I slight change as instead of walking into the wood I must have started walking out of it. It’s hard to describe but there seemed to be slightly more light, there was a slight increase in the movement of air and in amid the birdsong the faintest of urban noise started to filter through. Specklies also started showing up now as well as another Large White, a male, sitting atop a Garlic Mustard. The penultimate butterfly was a gorgeous and brightly marked female Specklie before I finished with a flourish of a male Orange-tip racing me into the car park.
20-04-2024 23.JPG
20-04-2024 24.JPG
20-04-2024 25.JPG
Pleased despite my lack of a Grizzlie I loaded up shipped out, feeling much happier traversing the city in the knowledge that I’d had a good day and also that there wasn’t a charge waiting for me for driving in a C Zone. I wonder if the girls want to do another shopping trip to Bath?
A lack of Grizzlies
But a coupling of Greenstreaks
Saved the day for me

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”