Rob Partridge

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
robpartridge

Re: Rob Partridge

Post by robpartridge »

A sunny day at last but still plenty of annoying winds. I'm still struggling to find any number of butterflies at all. In the garden a Small Tortoiseshell was very welcome, and Orange-tips and Green-veined Whites appear whenever the sun shines. I visited a site where Green Hairstreak has recently appeared - I'm convinced it has not always been there. There is extensive planting around a straw-burning plant which is now about twenty years old. Lots of dogwood among hawthorn and other shrubs, but no sign of the hairstreak between 10.00 and 11.30. Do they have particular flight times? And favourite food plants?

A female Holly Blue allowed a couple of photographs.
EFBD67A4-6DE7-4B16-961F-4A8A3D04F563.jpeg
My local churchyard is managed very well for wildlife. I managed a few species there, including a Speckled Wood which had settled on the mown grass and spent several minutes probing for something, but I could not make out what for certain - presumably moisture or minerals.
0A50D29E-A1EF-4B97-9829-E8472FC83381.jpeg
There were several Holly Blues in the churchyard, as there always seem to be in this area. Of course, churchyards often have holly and ivy, and resemble light woodland.

I tried to include several more photographs but despite reducing the size to below 5mb, I kept getting the message The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

A photo of the Speckled Wood which would not upload earlier:
40CE4D1B-B706-406F-B1C9-1AD762304B16.jpeg
"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely looking Holly Blue Rob :D "Do they have particular flight times?" with regards to this I used to really struggle with this species - it was my nemesis or bogey butterfly :? and then someone told me that they went looking first thing and that they were a morning species.I tried this out and sure enough found them much more easily. Even now despite seeing them as late a 7:45pm I still think of them as an early morning butterfly - whether that's because they're less active first thing when its cooler and the sun hasn't reached it's full power I don't know? However if you do look early that can also be good for Holly Blues opening their wings up as well. Might be worth a punt?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

Many thanks, Wurzel. It seems you are spot on - I managed brief views of 3 yesterday morning at the site between 10.30 and 11.00, in spells of intermittent sunshine. I've found them easily enough on gorse and broom in Norfolk, but this Cambs site has extensive areas of scrubby hawthorn and they seem to be scattered all over it at low density,

Rob
robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

Warmer weather and some butterflies at last, if not in spectacular numbers. A morning visit to the old airfield site saw several Small Whites, much attached to dandelions.
80031DB7-B688-44F4-8D7B-58D7FC377DFB.jpeg
I worked steadily along the old roadway as this has produced Walls in the past - there is plenty of bare ground and this was heating up in the sunshine at 10.00. Sure enough, I found one basking in a very hot, sheltered corner.
D37B4395-ABD9-4461-A932-3F505B671C34.jpeg
The old road runs alongside the disused airfield, which was used by Lancasters in the Second World War. It's an excellent wildlife site but will one day be redeveloped into something nightmarish, of course. Moments after I took this picture, I had good views of a Green Hairstreak, but it was too quick for a photo.
C300687D-8F45-4647-B8C4-EB865A89D579.jpeg
When I arrived back home, there was more excitement; moth trappers have begun to catch Silver Ys, and I've noticed in the past that Red Admirals often show up at the same time. I took a coffee into the garden and there was one on the perennial geranium - magic! I think these have wonderful undersides.
7B97999C-E78F-4E7A-A984-09840BB7D90E.jpeg
The sunshine continued into the afternoon, so it was time to visit a key site for Wall Browns - a complex of disused and still working gravel pits. In my experience, at least in my area, these often offer perfect habitat. The site did not let me down and I counted 10 Walls in approximately two hundred yards of slow walking. I am surprised and relieved that they seem to have made it through an extremely wet winter.
0C8595B4-47DF-4305-8222-47071A13E5CF.jpeg
Finally, I had two more Red Admirals in fast courtship pursuit as I returned to the car. A better day, at last.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great news about the Walls Rob :D Some species do seem to be in short supply so far this season but not round your way 8) Fingers crossed when/if the good weather arrives they'll all emerge en mass :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see those Wall Browns, Rob.
robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

After a rather dismal spring, it's such a pleasure to see butterflies in the garden, and several species at a time. Red Admirals made their presence known on the 16th of May, when four appeared together, and today there are at least six. Silver Ys have also arrived in significant numbers over the past few days and one has to wonder whether they originate from the same areas abroad. Last night there were at least 20 Silver Ys nectaring at the sweet rocket. I think when you can get two Admirals in the shot without trying it must be a good sign!
790F2F6B-C516-4AE6-9530-DE903A44D7E1.jpeg
BEAFF4BE-093B-4B97-8EC2-FA64126BA67C.jpeg
I rather like Large Whites - they're understated but smart and quietly dignified. We've had both males and females over the past few days.
47DBACF9-9341-4AF9-8C93-BEA48C4AA47A.jpeg
I don't see butterflies using the perennial geraniums as often as bumblebees, who adore them. However, an Orange Tip had his head down into one, and then a treat - Small Tortoiseshells have been thin on the ground but this was a beauty, and unusually large.
11E11DBF-94E8-40C4-BA96-962209B6044F.jpeg
4924D19D-5CF8-4F50-A8AA-26B7DC5049B7.jpeg
But the highlight of the week was about half an hour ago when the butterfly I've been looking everywhere for since the Red Admirals arrived glided around the garden. It disappeared but they'll often come back if they've spotted supplies, and sure enough the year's first Painted Lady returned and spent several minutes on the perennial wallflowers. For me, always one of the highlights of the season, and one of my favourite butterflies.
C50B238D-61A0-40BB-99F1-F136DAF31FEF.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant to see you were visited by a Painted Lady Rob :D :mrgreen: There's been a bit of an influx over the last couple of days - I just hope that they don't get on the blower and tell the rest of them not to bother coming over as the weather is so rubbish :? :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

I've finally managed a few pictures of the Green Hairstreaks on a local disused airfield site. I'm convinced that they have not always been there but the habitat has apparently become ideal. They particularly favour the the edges of the scrub, where they fly quite low down in amongst mixed shrubs amenity planted when a straw-burning plant was built some twenty years ago.
1FD82993-A1DC-4B26-9788-4471FD3F7776.jpeg
I spent some time watching a couple of females, and was not surprised to see them laying on unopened flowers of dogwood - I had guessed this would be the food plant on this site. Typically, though, they spend a lot of their time perched on hawthorn.
4DBAAF10-3229-4D17-B253-8F4C46139132.jpeg
However, I noticed one female in amongst the ground herbage. Eventually I saw it laying or attempting to lay on a species of vetch - I have to say "attempting" because I failed to mark properly which among the many stems it was on as I took the photo, and could not find an egg. Jeremy Thomas does mention Green Hairstreaks laying on "various vetches", of course.
EE8B04D3-BC40-4B37-9708-6E1CF8651C83.jpeg

Return to “Personal Diaries”