Small Heath - Favourite Photo of 2023

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 16

The week of diminutive! Perhaps these threads should have a Blink182 soundtrack… :wink: :lol: . Not long to go now until the finale so I hope you’re all prepared for the Overall Favourite thread.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Small Heath - Favourite Photo of 2023

Post by Wurzel »

Small Heath

In a previous post I’d mentioned “scrabbling around on the hard drive trying to find decent photos” well that was certainly the case for this species this year. I don’t like to make unsubstantiated judgements but to my eyes there certainly seemed to be a dearth of this species this year so this image popped up during my scrabbling I was mightily pleased/relieved. To add the cherry on top it came from a trip to Sidbury at the end of May with Dave so it also offers up cracking memories from an excellent day!
SH 30-05-2023 19.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

As you mentioned, Wurzel, numbers of this species seemed poor during 2023. They were definitely down on my local patch and the maximum count of only 21 (on 9th June) was lower than any previous year. I did manage a few decent shots over the season, and I like this one from that peak day -indulging in nectar and getting pollen over itself in the process.
SH2 090623.JPG
Dave
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

Very low count of small heath in 2023 for me. No more than half a dozen on each occasion on my visits to 3 sites in Port Appin, Grantown and St Cyrus NNR.

Best attached.

Bert.
Attachments
Port Appin 29th May
Port Appin 29th May
Grantown 18th June
Grantown 18th June
Grantown 18th June
Grantown 18th June
St Cyrus 8th July
St Cyrus 8th July
dlaz44

Post by dlaz44 »

Numbers of Small Heath were similar to previous years in Chelmsford, but they never appear in great numbers. I am not experienced enough to know about aberrations. These examples appear a little different then the majority I see. Firstly, one from the meadow at the Chelmer Road Bridge appears to be a little more blue-grey than usual.
Small Heath 20/08/2023 Chelmer Road Bridge, Chelmsford
Small Heath 20/08/2023 Chelmer Road Bridge, Chelmsford
And in Baddow Meads a week later, I came across one that had distinctive eye-spots both on the lower and upper wings [sorry for the quality of the photo]
Small Heath 27/08/2023 Baddow Meads, Chelmsford
Small Heath 27/08/2023 Baddow Meads, Chelmsford
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
David M

Post by David M »

dlaz44 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:29 am...and in Baddow Meads a week later, I came across one that had distinctive eye-spots both on the lower and upper wings
That's a real eye-catcher, dlaz. :mrgreen:
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I rarely pay much attention to Small Heaths ,but last season i decided to them a "fair go " ,and was surprised at the amount of variation amongst them ,heres two from Orlestone forest ,Kent.
P1370583.JPG
P1370578.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A mediocre season for them last year, until the end when the third generation seemed to erupt and I was finding lots all over the place for a couple of weeks. In amongst them was this unusual ab which I christened ab. tripupilata
Small Heath ab. tripupillata, South Downs way, Beachy Head.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I didn't see that many Small Heath in 2023 although I suspect that may be partly down to poor weather resulting in fewer visits to the sites where they occur around here. Consequently I don't have many photos to chose from with the one below taken at Sheldon Country Park probably being the best.
Small Heath - Sheldon Counrty Park 07.06.2023
Small Heath - Sheldon Counrty Park 07.06.2023
Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I was at Seasalter i8th of May , after I saw the Copper I thought most of the other Butterflies would look much the same, a lot of them did the exception being this Small Heath I managed to get a shot of before it disappeared :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8282.jpeg
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Small Heath are never particularly numerous in my garden but there are usually a few about for most of the summer. Although it’s always nice to see them, their beauty is rather subtle compared to other species. My favourite was feeding on Ragwort and does justice to its muted colours.
Attachments
Small Heath, Cambridgeshire, 5 September
Small Heath, Cambridgeshire, 5 September
David M

Post by David M »

My first of the year, seen at Kenfig Dunes on 12th May, was the only one I photographed:
12a.Pamphilus(1).jpg
overthepass

Post by overthepass »

Not too many Small Heath photos in my efforts from last season, but this one at Ashtead Common on a hot afternoon in late August is a favourite. I saw it from some distance, sitting on a ragwort flowerhead, and it obligingly continued to do so while I approached closer, taking photos as I went, with this being the last one.
P8231979_A.jpg
Also liked this one, from Whitehawk Hill in Sussex in early September, whilst waiting for Long-tailed Blues to settle. It seems to have rather light colouration around the hindwing margin, but that might just be down to the glare of the sun.
P9060407_A.jpg

Return to “Small Heath”