Silver-washed Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2023

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 15

This time last year I wrote about incessant rain and freezing temperatures…sounds a little like déjà vu…(cue Monty Python sketch). Also a little like déjà vu is that fact that a hard storm is due to/has started to slam us again :( . So batten down the hatches and select your Favourites in the comfort and safety of your home. :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Silver-washed Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2023

Post by Wurzel »

Silver-washed Fritillary
I took my Favourite shot of this species at Garston Wood. I was walking along the path in what used to be the exotic plantation. As I bimbled along the winding track I spotted a large grey-blue butterfly that was hugging the edges of the clearings and trying to stick where possible to the shadows. I’d have been able to have identified it by this behaviour alone but when it ventured a little too close to the now sun lit cleared scallop I could see that it was a Valesina. I watched her as she flew low to the ground from tree to tree and when she stopped I leant forward and reeled off a few shots. She was ovipositing, squeezing eggs into the cracks in the bark, something I’d seen normal form Silver-washed females do before but never a Valesina, so it became the obvious choice for my favourite shot for this species.
SWF 01-07-2023 16.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Without a doubt, my most memorable example of SWF in 2023 was a male that turned up on my local patch exactly six months ago today. It was the only example of the species I've seen here in 15 years of looking, and was several kilometres from the nearest known colony (probably the woods near Runnymede).
SWF1 210723.JPG
SWF4 210723.JPG
SWF5 210723.JPG
Dave
David Lazarus

Post by David Lazarus »

Silver-washed Fritillary was a new species for me in 2023. I found it a very photogenic species. Because of this, and the excitement of seeing a new species, I managed to get some great shots. Although I did see them in a few places last summer, it was my successful visit to Hatfield Forest in mid-July that provided the opportunity to photograph a variety of lovely moments from the 40 that I saw that day. Firstly, one of the few females that I came across:
Silver-washed Fritillary f 18/07/2023 Hatfield Forest, Essex
Silver-washed Fritillary f 18/07/2023 Hatfield Forest, Essex
including one in cop:
Silver-washed Fritillary in cop 18/07/2023 Hatfield Forest, Essex
Silver-washed Fritillary in cop 18/07/2023 Hatfield Forest, Essex
I was stunned by the vibrant beauty of the males, this being the best example:
Silver-washed Fritillary m 18/07/2023 Hatfield Forest, Essex
but my favourite image of Silver-washed Fritillary was a rather fortuitous shot of an incoming male in flight, showing the underside, to join another nectaring on the brambles - perfect timing:
sorry for choosing 4! I just could not choose between them (last one obviously) :D
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

As always, there were plenty to be found at Bookham. No real standout encounters but this female seemed to pose rather well
Silver-washed Fritillary female, Bookham Commons.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Good numbers seen at Oversley Wood when I went there on what turned into a breezy and cloudy day in early July.
Silver-washed Fritillary pair - Oversley Wood 05.07.2023
Silver-washed Fritillary pair - Oversley Wood 05.07.2023
My favourite shot was probably this nice fresh male from the same day.
Silver-washed Fritillary male - Oversley Wood 05.07.2023
Silver-washed Fritillary male - Oversley Wood 05.07.2023
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

I like that first image in particular, Neil, with the two sexes facing one another.

This is such a photogenic species.
David M

Post by David M »

Saw a couple of dozen at Fermyn Wood on 17th July, both males and females:
0.SWFmale(1).jpg
0.SWFfem(1).jpg
overthepass

Post by overthepass »

Chiddingfold Forest can be relied on for a good display of Silver-washed. This male is from a visit in late June.
7B7A0973_A.jpg
7B7A0977_A.jpg
I didn't encounter many females last season, but this one from Ashtead Common in early July was the stand-out.
P7060222_A.jpg

Return to “Silver-washed Fritillary”