Matthew Oates has cheered me up.

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Jack Harrison

Matthew Oates has cheered me up.

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have been thoroughly miserable and very cold.  We took up an offer of discount on heating oil if we ordered early - which we did ten weeks ago.  It has now run so low that the heating system has shut down into 'safety mode'.  We do have electric heaters and a wood burning stove, but no hot water - so unable to shower.  Contact with the suppliers just meets with "we'll pass it on to the delivery drivers".    My wife even pointed out that I (Jack) will be 85 this coming Thursday - old men feel the cold.

So where does Matthew come into this?  I have retreated to bed with (at last count) six layers of clothes, a hot water bottle and my Kindle e-reader.  A new Kindle order (about quantum theory or something equally mind enhancing) hasn't been delivered, so I have gone back to re-reading Matthew's "His Imperial Majesty", already in my library.  It's a yarn that you can get so much out of on second or third reading, not least because of Matthew's infectious sense of humour.

So thank you, Matthew, for cheering me up.

My photo from Fermyn Woods in its heyday, 2008.

Jack
Attachments
08-07-13-PurpleEmperor.jpg
Matsukaze

Re: Matthew Oates has cheered me up.

Post by Matsukaze »

Hope you keep well, Jack.

Does the book include the incident where he hauled a dead salmon into the treetops to attract the Emperor?
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

salmon into the treetops
I think it does but haven't got that far yet in the re-reading. I have got past the "Emperors' Breakfast" though.

I'm keeping warm enough but as far as showering is concerned, I am effectively in "Astronaut Mode" with a wipe down.
Apparently a proper shower is something they long for - but can't have - when in space.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Been some while since I read my copy, Jack. Perhaps now the weather has turned and the nights are long I should reopen it?
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Matthew's book has been updated. Here is a wonderful extract to give a flavour.
Click on image for easier reading.
two fingers.jpg
As far as I know, Matthew is retired so must need every penny he can get from sales of his writings :evil:

Jack

Return to “General”