31 Orange Tip chrysalises

Jack Harrison

31 Orange Tip chrysalises

Post by Jack Harrison »

I currently have 31 Orange Tip chrysalises. I grow Sweet Rocket (aka Dame's Violet) in the garden and it makes excellent cut flowers for indoors.
But with it come Orange Tip caterpillars. Hence now all these chrysalises, all but one from the garden plants.

Not a single case (at least at this stage of the life cycle) or parasitism and no cannibalism.
100% success rate larvae >>> pupae

Jack
chriscooper111

Re: 31 Orange Tip chrysalises

Post by chriscooper111 »

Seen loads of Orange tips in the wild this year on the garlic mustard think its a good year for any pupa that over winter. Wading through speckled browns and meadows the last few weeks. I am in Harrogate North Yorkshire and we had a really cold wet April and early May with virtually no sunny days which I think really affected the first breed of the species like the Peacock, small tortoiseshell and Comma that over winter in the butterfly state. Seen virtually no Tortoiseshell adults or larva this year yet but plenty of peacock larva. I keep a few of each in a butterfly house with living nettle plants and have 2 in reserve and they successfully breed in there every year. I also over winter 3or 4 of each to give me a start in April. I also over winter elephant hawk moths and Cinnabar moths.
chriscooper111

Post by chriscooper111 »

IMG20230528094318.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Good luck with them, Jack. I'm sure they are in very safe hands.

Return to “Orange-tip”