Back Of The Net

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
zigzag_wanderer

Back Of The Net

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Well, strictly speaking, front of the net...

Adult butterflies and macro moths are at a premium, but if I'm lucky the green nylon netting at the sides of some greenhouses can still attract a few small insects if the sun is out at lunchtime.

I took the attached over the last couple of weeks. It's very hard staying still enough to get these in focus, particularly if I'm reaching up to take the snap, so they are probably too blurry to get IDs (especially the mini micro moths), but as there's not a lot else about I'll post these as a bit of fun for any super sleuths out there.

Some of these I know (including G,Ypsolopha mucronella, thanks to Bugboy !), but I include for size reference, as the gauge of the netting is uniform.

I'm very interested if anyone can ID the very small orange spider and the beetle. I wondered if the former could be an adolescent Garden/Cross Spider but I don't think so. It was certainly very small. The interesting thing with the beetle was the apparent raised disk around the scutellum, this caught the sun in a way that might have had this beetle revered during Akhenaten's time.

The micros really were mini. I'm guessing most are outdoor miners tempted to fly a few yards from the woodland to the heat of the synthetic sides. The Diamond-backs however are still to be found in high numbers inside the houses - they obviously love the conditions we provide. This is the first one I've seen outside though...it's a bit faded (might also be the light) but sure it's a D-b.
Attachments
A
A
B = Diamond-back
B = Diamond-back
C
C
D
D
E
E
F = Common Green Shieldbug
F = Common Green Shieldbug
G= Ypsolopha mucronella (Spindle Smudge)
G= Ypsolopha mucronella (Spindle Smudge)
H
H
I
I
zigzag_wanderer

Re: Back Of The Net

I'll add another - taken yesterday.

Assume a crab spider of some description.
Attachments
J
J
millerd

Post by millerd »

zigzag_wanderer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:32 pm I'll add another - taken yesterday.

Assume a crab spider of some description.
I have no idea what the spider is, ZZW, but if it's a crab spider it's not made much of an attempt to camouflage itself. If you imagine it bright green it would effectively disappear sitting on that fence... :)

Cheers,

Dave
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

The spider is a Xysticus sp.
zigzag_wanderer

Thanks Dave...I was thinking the same ! Actually the first spider (D) was making itself even more visible if anything, as it was so orange. If the sun is out, I walk along the side of the netting and look down it obliquely for any potential lumps. Most are bits of mud etc. but I'm getting quite good at spotting new additions !

Thanks as always, Aeshna. I wondered if it could possibly be a lighter coloured Ozyptila sanctuaria, but the general shape of Xysticus spiders definitely looks better !
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

The first spider looks like an orb spider, however it's an adult male (as the swollen pedipalps indicate) and most images tend to show the larger and more obvious females. Orb spider's can be rather variable in colour too, which doesn't help getting a more accurate ID either!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
zigzag_wanderer

bugboy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:38 pm The first spider looks like an orb spider, however it's an adult male (as the swollen pedipalps indicate) and most images tend to show the larger and more obvious females. Orb spider's can be rather variable in colour too, which doesn't help getting a more accurate ID either!

Thanks Bugboy, you've already told me one thing I didn't know - that it's a male !! It was very small, which threw me a bit, but that probably makes sense as males tend to be smaller.

I took the following photo on the 30th November. In keeping with my system, I'll give it a letter, but I'm more confident on the ID. This was taken inside rather than outside and it was tucked away in a very dark corner, so I've really had to artificially up the light level of the snap to see any markings. This is the same house that the small orange spider photo was taken, so it really shows how small that spider was compared to this one (which I think must be a female Walnut Orb Weaver).

I've also added another snap of the beetle in case it helps anyone with an ID. I always struggle when searching through beetle types, but I can't find any images with this apparent raised disc. Although this might be an optical illusion I suppose.
Attachments
K: Walnut Orb Weaver (I think)
K: Walnut Orb Weaver (I think)
E (reprise)
E (reprise)
zigzag_wanderer

One from yesterday.

Pretty certain this is a Larch Ladbird. I see they're common but I don't think I've spotted one before.

This one was on the inside rather than outside.
Attachments
L for Larch Ladybird
L for Larch Ladybird
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Looks good for Larch Ladybird.
zigzag_wanderer

Apologies for this very late response Aeshna - but much appreciated as always. Yes, I read that the "W" or "M" behind the eyes is a good diagnostic for Larch Ladybird.

I've only seen a few small flies on the netting so far this year, but I did spot the attached on Wednesday.

Not sure what it is - maybe a Ledra aurita nymph ?
Attachments
M (1st Feb)
M (1st Feb)

Return to “Identification”