Another Moth ID

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
zigzag_wanderer

Another Moth ID

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Hi,

This one seen today at work. We flushed it from some grass when working outside and it initially landed on my leg before deciding it was safer on the green netting, where it stayed all day in the same spot.

Looked very white in flight. Long and thin when landed. Body a bit longer than the Crimson Speckled, but looked even longer with antennae pointing forward. Had a sort of squid-like look in front of the eyes.

I'm assuming a Crambus or Pyralid, but may be wrong.

Any help IDing very much appreciated as always.
Attachments
DSC00795 (2).JPG
DSC00810 (2).JPG
Allan.W.

Re: Another Moth ID

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Zig-Zag ,
Well thats a weird one! could be one of the Coleophora moths ,although the books say that they,re generally all finished by late August .............but that said ,we,re living in changing times ............Re;moth .............Happy to be corrected !
Regards Allan.W.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'm tempted towards Ypsolopha mucronella...? Its an adult hibernator so that fits, cat feeds on Spindle.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Yes Bugboy ! ....................Reckon you,re spot on :D Allan.W.
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Cheers both, really appreciate the feedback as always. Especially when there's a positive ID :-)

Absolutely spot-on Bugboy. The photo on Naturespot is virtually identical !

We have woodland on the northern flank of the nursery (where the Noctule bat appeared from a few weeks back) and we're close to the Downs so Chalky soil fits too.

I was searching on the "what's flying" section of the Sussex site, but if it's essentially a hibernator then it wouldn't be there.

All fits !

Return to “Identification”