Grayling - Favourite Photo 2022

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 6

It looks like we’re actually getting the winter weather so sightings may start to stall but don’t be down hearted as this week there are three cracking species to choose favourites for and next week, fingers crossed, the Winter Social is on.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Bertl

Re: Grayling - Favourite Photo 2022

Post by Bertl »

Found a few grayling at the north end of the St. Cyrus NNR on a sunny day on July 7th. They were very active and tough to photograph. This is best of the bunch.
Attachments
DSC_0567.jpeg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I saw them at several places this year, but I'll always like them best surrounded in by heather :)
Grayling, Chobham Common.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Grayling

I was able to make a couple of trips to Godshill this year. The first was tagged onto the end of a trip to Bentley Wood but it was the second that really produced the goods as I was able to find probably more Graylings on site than I ever have before. They were all over the low laying Heather and when one would fly another couple would often go up in its wake. I was also treated to the full range of their variation – greys and whites, sandy, golden browns and blacks, some with barely a band etc. Their considerable variation is just one of the reasons that I love this species and I could happily have not made a decision and put all of my shots in! However while I was going through the rigmarole of selecting just one shot this one stood out. On the actual day it also stood out as it had the thickest and clearest white band that I’d ever seen in this species – so much so that when I first saw it for a fraction of a second I though Rock or Great Banded Grayling! :wink:
4 G 23-07-2022 13.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Caught up with UK Graylings at Southgate, on the Gower, on 22nd July:
22.Grayling1(1).jpg
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

I only encountered Grayling at one site this year but they were very abundant. Being a hot and windy day, I didn’t take any “good” photographs but I did find a mating pair.
Attachments
Grayling, Cornwall, 9 August
Grayling, Cornwall, 9 August
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I only managed to see Graylings 'up north' this year when I found good numbers at Arnside Knott plus a couple at both Warton Crag and Gait Barrows when we were up that way for a few days in early August.
Most were seen when they were disturbed as I was wandering about at Arnside and I tried to keep my eye on where they settled and then sneak up in time to grab a shot before they snapped the forewing eyespot down to blend in against the background. This could be difficult on the loose scree slopes and the the shot below is about the best I managed
Grayling - Arnside Knott 01.08.2022
Grayling - Arnside Knott 01.08.2022
Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Grayling”