Essex Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 5

Another week gone and we’re already a quarter of the way through the Favourites thread! Fingers crossed when I’m posting this in a fortnights time the Social will have taken place…

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Allan.W.

Re: Essex Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by Allan.W. »

Something that remains on my "wants " list is a pair in-cop Essex Skippers ,and i try every season .............but still no luck ! I found 3 Small Skipper pairs in 2021 ................but an Essex pair .............no !
Still ,theres always next season !.................. anyway ,A couple of males from my local circuit. Allan.W.
P1300092 (2).JPG
P1300068.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

I have to look no further than my local patch to find Essex Skippers, where they outnumber their Small cousins by about 3 to 2 in most years (according to my rather unscientific dip-sampling counts which don't take into account that Essex may possibly be more approachable than Small... :) ). Curiously, their seasons almost exactly coincided in 2021 (normally Smalls appear first), which didn't help, as numbers generally built in tandem. As I've mentioned before, for some reason I find that Essex Skippers outdo their close relative in the cuteness stakes, and 10th July provided the appropriate opportunities to capture this.
ES11 100721.JPG
ES1 100721.JPG
Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

As is my little tradition now, I saw my season first in Essex, this year on the same day I saw my first Small Skipper.
Essex Skipper male, Hadleigh Country Park.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

As with many species this year, Essex Skippers were a bit later showing up around my local patch compared to recent years. My impression was that numbers were a bit lower than usual and they seemed to disappear fairly quickly, although that may be a result of observer bias with most of my sightings being in a few days of warm sunny weather falling between longer periods which were much cooler and overcast with leaden grey clouds.

As usual with this species, most of my shots were taken with a view to confirming their I.D. rather than looking for especially pleasing poses but I do like the one below, taken at my local spot by Wagon Lane Park on a warm day in mid July.
Essex Skipper - Wagon Lane 18.07.2021
Essex Skipper - Wagon Lane 18.07.2021
Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Essex Skipper

This shot was taken at Larkhill on one of my increasingly infrequent ‘way home stop-offs’. It was the first of 2021 and so I got possibly more than my fair share of shots of this individual but this one came out on top when it came to selection time for two reasons. The first is that I like the way that it shows up a couple of the diagnostic features – the sandier/more yellow colour, the rounded drumstick ends to the antennae and the obvious ink dabs. The second reason is that I always view this species as a bit of a cheeky chappy and this one looks like it’s sticking its tongue out or blowing a raspberry which fits its persona.
05-07-2021 20.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Only saw these on 23 July, both at Aston Rowant and, later in the day, at Bernwood Forest. They've recently been recorded near Cowbridge so with any luck it won't be long before they turn up in Swansea:
1.Essexups(1).jpg

Return to “Essex Skipper”