Dingy Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 4

Sightings are definitely few and far between now but at least the Favourites will keep you going for a while yet :wink: 8) 8) .

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Goldie M

Re: Dingy Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by Goldie M »

My shots were taken on the 7th May at Brooks in Kent, there was quite a few about but I couldn't get a shot of anything on a flower they all seemed to prefer the dirt path :D Date was the 7th May. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_3664.jpeg
IMG_3667.jpeg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A species that didn't seem to be over effected by the cool spring, certainly not difficult to come by. Two that stand out for me: had I not watched this one dart up to sit out a cloudy spell on some old Mullien, I'd have walked straight past it
Dingy Skipper, Mill Hill, Shoreham.JPG
Their unique resting position amongst UK butterflies means getting a decent underside shot is about as tricky as getting a Small Heath upperside so I was pleased to find this one on Denbies Hillside
Dingy Skipper, Denbies Hillside.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

That camouflaged individual on the mullein is terrific, Buggy! :)

I think my favourite has to be one of the very fresh ones seen on the visit to Hutchinsons Bank on 29th May.
DS2a 280521.JPG
DS8 280521.JPG
Dave
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Locally, Dingy Skipper seemed to do pretty well this year. One allowed me to lie down and take a photograph from low down. Shame about the nettles.
Attachments
Dingy Skipper, 24 May
Dingy Skipper, 24 May
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Dingy Skipper

I didn’t have to think too hard about which Dingy Skipper shot was going to be my Favourite this year as there was a stand out sighting for me. It came in the first week from a quick walk around Middle Street. I’ve seen a few Grizzlies here in the past but this was my first Dingy for the site and so it was an obvious choice for my Fave shot of 2021.
05-06-2021 3.JPG
That was until I remembered the brilliantly marked Dingy from Sidbury from the end of May :D . The markings on the fore wings took me back to my childhood as they resembled the feathered headdress of a Native American chief.
29-05-2021 44.JPG
29-05-2021 44a.png
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a great Dingy, Wurzel - almost like the taras ab. markings borrowed from a Grizzly... :wink: :mrgreen: :)

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Wolfson wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:10 pm Locally, Dingy Skipper seemed to do pretty well this year. One allowed me to lie down and take a photograph from low down. Shame about the nettles.
Lovely pose, Wolfson. Shows the curved antennal clubs off really well.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I didn't see many Dingy Skippers in Warwickshire in 2021, although I am not sure if this was down to them actually being down in numbers or the timing of my visits to their sites here as many species were running late due to the weather this year.
On the other hand I saw loads on the grassy slopes around Durdle Door in mid June, many of which were still in good condition.

This pair in cop from Durdle Door on the afternoon on 15th June was probably my favourite shot,
Dingy Skipper pair - Durdle Door 15.06.2021
Dingy Skipper pair - Durdle Door 15.06.2021
But I also quite like this one taken at Tout Quarry earlier on the same day.
Dingy Skipper - Tout Quarry 15.06.2021
Dingy Skipper - Tout Quarry 15.06.2021
Cheers,

Neil.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

this one was in the Barton Hills on June 8th:
51232887872_d44945d17e_c.jpg
overthepass

Post by overthepass »

Mating pair from Butser Hill, Hampshire at beginning of June.
Attachments
Mating Dingy Skippers.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

This species had a bizarre flight period this year, due no doubt to the abnormally cool period we suffered in May. I saw my first in late April. They were still going strong in mid-June!!

This one is from Whiteford Burrows, Gower, on 14th May:
14.Dingy1(1).jpg

Return to “Dingy Skipper”