Common Blue - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 4

Sightings are definitely few and far between now but at least the Favourites will keep you going for a while yet :wink: 8) 8) .

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Bertl

Re: Common Blue - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by Bertl »

Took a trip out to a favourite spot at Drum Castle near Aberdeen end of June and wasn’t disappointed.
Attachments
Drum Castle 2nd July
Drum Castle 2nd July
Drum Castle 2nd July
Drum Castle 2nd July
Drum Castle 27th June
Drum Castle 27th June
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Another species that didn't do too well around my local patch, both spring and summer broods were hit by poor weather just at the time they should have been emerging.
I did however see larger numbers elsewhere around the country, most notably at Bishops Hill in Warwckshire in early June and on the downs around Durdle Door later that month.
The shots below, one of each sex, were taken at Bishops Hill when they were nice and fresh.
Common Blue male - Bishops Hill 03.06.2021
Common Blue male - Bishops Hill 03.06.2021
Common Blue female - Bishops Hill 03.06.2021
Common Blue female - Bishops Hill 03.06.2021
Cheers,

Neil
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw them only once this year on 30th May at Brockholes CP Preston, it was a lovely day and I thought I'd see loads of Butterflies,
I didn't and the ones I saw were few and far between so I was happy just to get a few shots that day. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4004.jpeg
IMG_3929.jpeg
IMG_4010.jpeg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Not a brilliant year for them this year in my experience, here's one of each sex that stand out. An attractive female from Durlston mixing it up with the local Lulworth Skippers
Common Blue female, Durlston Country Park.JPG
and a male who's colours really stood out in the overcast conditions at Abbots Wood
Common Blue male, Abbots Wood.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I always struggle to limit my shots in this particular thread ! Common Blues were in very short supply locally (Kent ) this season ,and well down in numbers ,compared to previous years . Orlestone forest was particularly poor (for me at least !) ,they did rally a bit at Dungeness ,where two of my pics were taken ,the other two were from a downland site near Hythe.
P1310172 (2).JPG
P1310144 (2).JPG
P1260859 (2).JPG
P1070624.JPG
Allan.W.
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

I encountered relatively few Common Blues this year. However, I did see some beauties and I have chosen this female seen in North Norfolk as my favourite.
Attachments
Common Blue, 8 June
Common Blue, 8 June
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Common Blue

I have several collections of butterfly photographs stored away and saved that don’t fall into the typical groupings (by species or by site) and one of these is ‘Butterflies on Dandelion Clocks’. This year I was lucky enough to make another couple of additions to this collection one of which came from Fovant Badges. I was showing Philzoid around and we hadn’t had much luck with Dukes – there only being one or two and not the double figures that I’d seen reported from nearby sites – but this Common Blue that landed on a Dandelion Clock would have made my day as we disconsolately made our way back to the cars if we hadn’t have found the little party of Dukes on the other side of the road.
31-05-2021 7.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

This female Common Blue brightened up a dull day as I walked around a wealden wood.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Common Blue (f) 16.8.2021 East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:14 pmI always struggle to limit my shots in this particular thread ! Common Blues were in very short supply locally (Kent ) this season ,and well down in numbers ,compared to previous years . Orlestone forest was particularly poor (for me at least !) ,they did rally a bit at Dungeness ,where two of my pics were taken ,the other two were from a downland site near Hythe.
Nice selection, Allan. I think that second one with the huge, orange hindwing lunules is the stand out. :mrgreen:
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks for that David ,that second one was a Beauty ,and a very striking "darker " blue individual .
Regards Allan.W.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Common Blues are among my favourite photographic subjects. They were scarce this year, but this male visiting the garden in late July was particularly happy to pose for photos.
P7310015.JPG
P7310023.JPG
P7310025.JPG
P7310049.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

This extremely blue female was the finest specimen I saw in 2021:
31.CommBlfem(1).jpg
I also liked this pristine male who was resting on the top of a sapling in the Forest of Dean on 3rd June:
03.CommBlmale(1).jpg
overthepass

Post by overthepass »

Found this one lurking in the grass whilst waiting for a reluctant-to-shift cloud bank over Martin Down to move on.
Common Blue.jpg

Return to “Common Blue”