Greenwings: Montes Universales/Valencia coast, Spain, 30 July - 7 August 2021

David M

Re: Greenwings: Montes Universales/Valencia coast, Spain, 30 July - 7 August 2021

Post by David M »

petesmith wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:29 pm..That's a nice diagnostic image David!
Thanks, Pete. It's not often you get to capture them at the right angle! This one was standing on a vertical wall in shade, which is something you don't see all the time. :)
David M

Re: Greenwings: Montes Universales/Valencia coast, Spain, 30 July - 7 August 2021

Post by David M »

Lycaenidae - Blues

75. Long Tailed Blue
76. Lang's Short Tailed Blue
77. Holly Blue
78. Silver Studded Blue
79. Southern Brown Argus
80. Spanish Argus
81. Mountain Argus
82. Turquoise Blue
83. Mother-of-Pearl Blue
84. Chapman's Blue
85. Common Blue
86. Escher's Blue
87. Adonis Blue
88. Azure Chalkhill Blue
89. Spanish Chalkhill Blue
90. Oberthur's Anomalous Blue
91. Ripart's Anomalous Blue
92. Damon Blue
93. African Grass Blue
David M

Post by David M »

So, overall a highly enjoyable 10 days out of the country. 91 species for me personally (I didn't see Ripart's Anomalous Blue or Marbled Skipper), and a much needed change of scenery and break from the normal routine.

The additional Covid requirements aren't especially difficult to undertake; it's just the trepidation of wondering whether you will test negative/receive your kits & certificate on time/pass the checks at the airport, etc, that cause the inconvenience and worry.

I sincerely hope that next year will see something of a return to normal regarding foreign travel. I'm confident we'll be able to venture to continental Europe, although I fear it may be 2023 before many longer haul destinations are deemed safe.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Thanks as ever David for sharing your experience in so much detail. It feels like only a few months ago since I was there, even though it's now 25 months!

For anyone else reading this thread, I highly recommend joining David and Greenwings on this holiday. The butterflies are truly special, as you'll have read from David's report. But more generally the scenery and climate are lovely, and it really is a quiet and undiscovered region of Spain. The architecture in Albaracin (the base for the holiday) is also superb.

PS - David - Everything with Covid is so unpredictable isn't it. But even though I'm generally a bit gloomy about the coming few months, April (when the wildlife trips begin) is still 7 months away, and so I'm relatively confident that things should be much better for European travel by then.
John Vergo

Post by John Vergo »

Thanks David for a good report, that report brought back good memories from 2020
David M

Post by David M »

selbypaul wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:28 amPS - David - Everything with Covid is so unpredictable isn't it. But even though I'm generally a bit gloomy about the coming few months, April (when the wildlife trips begin) is still 7 months away, and so I'm relatively confident that things should be much better for European travel by then.
Time surely doth fly, Paul, and it's sobering to remember how carefree we all were on this trip 2 years ago.

Goodness knows what fate has got up its sleeve for next year though. It surely can't go back to how it was earlier this year, however, can it?

I'm seriously considering buying a good-sized camper van and just b*gg*ring off as and when I choose. I can't stand another year of fear and uncertainty.
David M

Post by David M »

John Vergo wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:34 pmThanks David for a good report, that report brought back good memories from 2020
Thanks, John. It's been a great trip every year. I'm so glad I agreed to do it when it launched in 2018.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Great report as always, David. Brings back many memories of, as you say, carefree days full of butterflies.

Thanks for sharing.
Medard

Post by Medard »

"Time surely doth fly, Paul, and it's sobering to remember how carefree we all were on this trip 2 years ago.

Goodness knows what fate has got up its sleeve for next year though. It surely can't go back to how it was earlier this year, however, can it?

I'm seriously considering buying a good-sized camper van and just b*gg*ring off as and when I choose. I can't stand another year of fear and uncertainty".

Hi David.Time certainly doth fly, at eighty and in another 27 days 81 I am only too painfully aware of that fact , a whole year lost, while my camper van sits in the drive and its frustrated owners have been unable to get to France, so my advice is, go for it,  happy to give you the benefit of my experience, our adventures and the does and don'ts of camping on the continent, just contact me.

PS we have had four vans of different sizes and been traveling for twenty one years experiencing the delights of eight europeans countries plus four weeks in Arizona USA.
Jim.
Start your trip below..
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/p61 ... #h5e6eaa87
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/p93 ... #h9e881fbe
Attachments
chamonix-mont-blanc
chamonix-mont-blanc
Ecrins National Park from the col du galibier
David M

Post by David M »

Many thanks for this, Jim. I shall certainly keep your offer in mind.

I've been through each and every one of your images and enjoyed every them immensely. Some are familiar places; others are ones I've never been to....and some are worthy of competition winning status!

Yes, I feel particularly sorry for people who are in the generation above me. Obviously, this pandemic and the fallout from it is having a greater impact in the sense of percentage of remaining healthy, active years left to indulge in travelling. I hope to God we can see some positive developments before next spring.

Return to “Trip Reports”