Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 10

There are only a few chocolates left in the advent calendar now! :D The morbidly obese gentleman with a penchant for red velvet and furs and a talent for reverse burglary is prepping his Reindeer even though Christmas has been cancelled :? Still here's the 'Favourite' thread to take you mind off the single day festivity :wink:

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Just a reminder - it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 now so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 20 weeks time…

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by Lee Hurrell »

This is an easy one for me. I visited Portland in July and saw my first ever UK Lulworth Skippers. I saw two, a male and a female.
Lulworth Skipper, female, Portland, Dorset, 19th July 2020
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lulworth Skipper

This was my favourite shot of this species and came from my single visit when the butterflies were flying just after Lockdown was eased slightly and before the idiots went crazy over the hill causing mayhem at Durdle Door. On this side of the coast the roadside parking was relatively quiet and the walk across Bindon and down to the Cove was almost deserted so whilst my family enjoyed the peace and near solitude of the walk I was able to stop now and again for the butterflies. I chose this single shot as it was one of very few that came out okay with the Nikon D3000 which at the time I thought was going to be the replacement for my Nikon D60 which had sadly passed away a few days previously. I liked the way the light struck the butterfly highlighting the more olive and less golden appearance of the butterfly and the way the coloured scales seem to be plastered on more liberally than on its Smessex cousins. I also like the fact that a beetle and a Coxcomb Moth are photobombing the unknowing butterfly.
21-05-2020 7.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

My visit to Portland on 22 July provided my only Lulworths of the year; two, in fact.

Sadly, of the pair of males that kept clashing in the same area, only the scruffier one kept coming back to settle:
1Lulworth(1).jpg

Return to “Lulworth Skipper”