Small Skipper - Favourite Photo 2018

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 17

“Even though it's cold outside and even though it's dark stupidly early it still feels like spring is starting - Daff, Snowdrops, Aconites are all blooming Not long to go now!”…This is what I wrote last week. Opps! :oops: Ha teach me to count my chickens!! :shock: :roll: :lol:

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
John W

Re: Small Skipper - Favourite Photo 2018

Post by John W »

One settling down to roost on a lovely summer evening at Kithurst flower meadow, West Sussex:
small-skipper - 1.jpg
Kithurst meadow, July 9th 2018, 7.57pm

Cheers
John W
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I was at Brockholes CP when I saw my first Small Skipper on the 22nd June and at Hall-Lee-Brook on the 5th July for my second
I didn't take too many shots of the Skipper's last year I'm afraid so I've included the two. :roll: Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_af60.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_96b4.jpeg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Another photo taken in a relative's wild garden. It was such a pleasure to see so many species enjoying the space set aside for them!
Sutton Montis, Somerset - 23rd June 2018<br />Olympus E-M1-ii with 40-150mm lens - 1/640s@f/9 ISO 640
Sutton Montis, Somerset - 23rd June 2018
Olympus E-M1-ii with 40-150mm lens - 1/640s@f/9 ISO 640
Mike
David M

Post by David M »

Just the one photographed in 2018, my first of the year at St Govan's Head in Pembrokeshire on 23 June:
01SmallSk(1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

On a trip to Chobham Common in search of Grayling I got sidetracked when I spotted this very accommodating lady :)
Small Skipper female ovipositing, Chobham Common.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

One of a number of summer species that seemed to emerge and then disappear rather quickly after a relatively short flight period in 2018 and consequently I didn't manage to take many photos of them.
Small Skipper - Castle Hills 23.06.2018
Small Skipper - Castle Hills 23.06.2018
Cheers,

Neil
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

I spent lots of time looking at Small Skippers in Yorkshire last summer, in the hope of picking out an Essex from amongst them (which eventually I managed). This photo was taken after work on the evening of 20th June on Walmgate Stray.
IMG_8223.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Skipper

I didn’t see that many Small Skippers this year so I didn’t have the usual labourious task of sifting through thousands of Smessex images, checking that they’re Smalls and then choosing my Fave. It was going to be any easy choice anyway to be honest as this image kept springing into my mind every time I thought of a Small Skipper. It was taken at Lulworth Cove on a fantastic family/butterfly day in the broiling heat of June. I was enjoying a cup of coffee on the beach in between sojourns on the cliffs surrounded by Lulworths and DGFs when this little Skipper stopped by to collect some salts from the pebbles on the beach. I was one of those really easy shots to get; sip of coffee, lean to one side and pick up camera, lean the other way get shot, lean back put down camera and pick up coffee, resume drinking. The only way it could have been better was if instead of a coffee it was a pint of Badger Beer I was resuming drinking!
DSC_1112 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Small Skipper”