Small Heath – Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 16 – From the Silvers and onto the Smalls! We’re flying thorough the species which is great because it means that the new season is fast approaching :D . Just a reminder then that in five weeks we will have the culmination of the 2017 Favourites thread with your overall favourite shot.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Re: Small Heath – Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by David M »

I think the only image I took of this species was my first of the year on 14th May at Crymlyn Burrows on the Swansea coast.

Perhaps in future I'll pay them more attention as this butterfly is diminishing in numbers and I sincerely hope it isn't about to do a 'Wall Brown' on us in the UK:
2SmHeath(1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I rarely see these in numbers these days but they are still hanging on in many of the sites I visit:

They made a season debut at Denbies and I remember being pleasantly surprised at how well behaved this particular individual was to me, perching quite high up in the grass and giving me a clear view AND allowing close inspection :shock: !
Small Heath, Denbies Hillside.JPG
This one was FAR less cooperative but I could tell something was different about it in flight so I spent a good 10 minutes chasing it around until it succumbed to my dogged determination.
Small Heath pale winged ab., Bookham Commons.JPG
another ab at Newhaven Tide Mills (in this case one forewing didn't expand fully) but what caught my eye even more was the well developed ocelli on the hindwing:
Small Heath, Newhaven Tidemills.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

I've chosen these photos to illustrate the variability of this species, compared also with the photos above.
This one is from the month of July at altitude in the French Alps in the Les Menuires ski resort:
pamphilus23_73 Les Menuires 11Jul17.JPG
This photo shows two individuals from the South of France later in the year, 03 September, and possibly form lyllus, which is commoner further south and later in the season:
pamphilus25 pair La Taurelle 03Sept17.JPG
Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I didn't take many shots of the Small Heath, I find them very hard to get a good shot of so when I do Manage a few or so I call it a Day :D Two I've chosen were both taken in Southport in the Dunes, one on the 18th May and the second on the 3rd of June, one of the shots was taken in the shade, the weather that day being very cloudy so in-between the clouds and Sun I managed a shot :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_8682.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8681.jpeg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

After reading the posts above, I have to hope that this little butterfly is not in serious decline. Although it tends to be over-looked by photographers seeking easier and more colourful targets, I think it has great 'character' and is an important component of sunny grassland sites. I took my photo on an otherwise very quiet Aston Rowant reserve in the lull between Spring and Summer species being on the wing, so was especially pleased to have its company.
Aston Rowant NNR - 13th June 2017<br />Olympus E-M5 with 12-50mm lens - 1/320s@f/10 ISO640
Aston Rowant NNR - 13th June 2017
Olympus E-M5 with 12-50mm lens - 1/320s@f/10 ISO640
Mike
David M

Post by David M »

Chris Jackson wrote:This photo shows two individuals from the South of France later in the year, 03 September, and possibly form lyllus, which is commoner further south and later in the season
Those enlarged forewing ocelli certainly make these specimens stand out, Chris. When in France, I am also surprised at how large Small Heaths can be....almost male Hedge Brown dimensions.
Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

My favourite Small Heath photograph was taken on Denbies Hillside on May 18th. It's the first time I've managed to photograph a copulating pair.
Small Heaths UKB copy.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

With their season running from May until October on my local patch, choosing a favourite is never easy. They seemed to peak in numbers in mid-August, and on several trips out around this time, I saw dozens of individuals - there were probably hundreds across the whole site. Unfortunately, all the Heathrow expansion options currently under consultation appear to obliterate this whole area... :( Anyway, I have somehow singled out one or two favourites from the many photos taken. Firstly one from 14th August with an extra underside spot...
SH2 140817.JPG
...and another from 22nd.
SH7 220817.JPG
There was also one shot taken the same day of a couple in flight which shows (fuzzily) the upperside.
SHu1 220817.JPG
Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A species of concern in Warwickshire where numbers have been dropping over the past few years. They can still be found around my local patch in suitable areas but numbers are nowhere near as high as they were just a few years ago.
In other counties of the West Midlands it appears to be doing better on areas of higher ground and the recent 'Butterflies of the West Midlands' book states that there is evidence to suggest that this species is increasingly becoming an upland species.

Around my patch there seem to be two definite broods, the first usually peaking in late May and early June...
Small Heath - Castle Hills 28.05.2017
Small Heath - Castle Hills 28.05.2017
...and the second during August,
Small Heath - Castle Hills 13.08.2017
Cheers,

Neil.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

High numbers at various Kent sites ,particularly at Dungeness,Dengemarsh and a small site at Brookland on Romney marsh,i was also lucky enough to find 2 pairs ,both at Dungeness ,one of the "winners" (for me ) in 2017.
P1170621.JPG
P1180623.JPG
Regards Allan.W.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Heath

I’m not really sure what happened this year but again despite planning to the contrary I largely ignored Small Heaths. Don’t get me wrong I watched them, counted them and marvelled at the range of spotting (one of my vices this) but I didn’t really spend any time stalking them for photos…so when it came to selecting my favourite the choice was limited. Luckily though the few shots I did have were pretty good by my standards.

My favourite came from a morning trip to Larkhill when a little orange thing fluttered invitingly from the dew soaked grasses, beckoning me to crouch and get soaking wet knees to accompany my dew drenched shoes. A moment of meditative joy before a stress filled working day. That’s what I think when I revisit this image and hence why it’s my favourite.
DSC_2193 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Small Heath”