Small Skipper - Favourite Photo 2016

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 17

Only 4 weeks remaining of this series - and therefore probably only 2-3 weeks until the Hibernators start putting in regular appearances! :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos - just to make it easier to organise and keep everything on track so that we can enjoy this throughout the winter months? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Small Skipper - Favourite Photo 2016

Post by millerd »

One of the best spots I regularly visit to see Small Skippers is up at Allerthorpe in Yorkshire. There are no Essex Skippers to confuse them with and there are good numbers in July. Here's one from 23rd.
SS1 230716.JPG
They are around on my local patch as well, but are outnumbered by their Essex cousins here.
SS1 080716.JPG
Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

These were few and far between in my local haunts down south and I only saw them in any real numbers at Arnside Knott, sharing the flowers with Scotch Argus
Small Skipper male, Walthamstow Marshes #1.JPG
Small Skipper, Arnside Knott #2.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
celery

Post by celery »

'Bout the same as usual for these round my way - though a budding new colony was decimated by some inopportune Local Council/Highways Agency mowing on the approach to the sliproad of the new A46 a short walk from my village. :(

1. Uppers from a strip of agricultural land left fallow in the Vale of Belvoir in late July
2. Unders from the same location two weeks earlier.
Small Skipper (Thymelicus sylvestris) (2).jpg
Small Skipper (Thymelicus sylvestris) (5).jpg
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw my Small Skipper's at Southport Dunes and HLB on the 6th and 13th July, they were few and far between up here last year so I took very few shots of them. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_51c3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_51c5.jpeg
IAC

Post by IAC »

The Small Skipper has been present in the Scottish Borders now for a decade and a bit. In that time they have shown an easterly bias.The easterly bias continued as they invaded East Lothian taking advantage of open coastal grasslands and golf course roughs. They have now conquered as far as the city of Edinburgh with Skippers now present on Arthurs Seat. Inland encounters had been seldom until a few years ago when silly numbers bagn turning up in woodland clearings, 50, 60...then 100, 200...So this year I was alerted to a private woodland site near Westruther Berwickshire. I was told that there could be up to 500 Small Skipper present. So I was invited up to see for myself. I counted easily 500, and when considering that the sun had not been shining and it was cool, I think that in such a small and enclosed clearing that there may have been in excess of 1000 Skippers crammed in. They show no signs of slowing down there march north and I would easily see this species beyond Edinburgh in the next few years. This particular Skipper in the photo was one of a dozen in a much smaller community in early July where they have been recorded now for a decade.
Attachments
IMG_0001_3.jpg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I suspect a lot of Small Skippers are photographed in the hope that they may be Essex :)

In fact, when i was searching through my 2016 photos, the one I initially chose for this post turned out, on closer inspection to be a probable Essex! No doubt about this one, however, which is proudly displaying her 'orange tip' credentials.
Aston Rowant NNR - 11th July 2016<br />Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/800s@f/8 ISO800
Aston Rowant NNR - 11th July 2016
Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/800s@f/8 ISO800
Mike
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Really high numbers for me in 2016,one of the best areas was around the gravel pits at Lade in Kent (opposite the "listening ears),seeing easily 100+ ,on several occasions,mixed in with a few Essex Skips,posted a male and a female. regards Allan.W.
P1030840.JPG
P1040739.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Along with most of the 'common' grassland species around my patch in 2016, Small Skippers could be found in all the usual spots in good numbers albeit not as numerous as previous years.
Small Skipper - Castle Hills Solihull 03.07.2017
Small Skipper - Castle Hills Solihull 03.07.2017
Small Skipper - Bickenhill 23.07.2016
Small Skipper - Bickenhill 23.07.2016
Small Skippers - Bickenhill 23.07.2016
Small Skippers - Bickenhill 23.07.2016
Small Skipper - Shadowbrook Meadows 30.07.2016
Small Skipper - Shadowbrook Meadows 30.07.2016
Cheers,

Neil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Skipper

I didn’t have a very good year with this species – there seemed to be fewer around, I had fewer opportunities to find them and when they were around there was always something else which vied for my attention more successfully.
This shot was taken at Larkhill and is my fave not only because it was my first for the year but also because it was a cracking individual which should have served as a reminder to focus more on them – something I intend to do next year.
Sma Sk.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Small Skipper”