Winter Social 2018/2019

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
bugboy

Winter Social 2018/2019

Post by bugboy »

Well I'm not entirely sure where this year has gone but with September (and therefore Autumn) merely days away I think it's time to get this thread up and running for another year.

For the newbies it's our annual social event where we can sit around and chat about the past year, make plans for the coming year and just chat about butterflies in general, or whatever you fancy. Partners are more than welcome but they should be prepared to put up with the topic of conversation for a few hours :lol: .

Unfortunately it's impossible to choose a place within easy reach of everyone but the Old Forge (see link below) has worked well in previous years. We usually pencil it in for the last Saturday in November, which is the 24th this year, so time to cash in a few unused brownie points (or role up your sleeves and earn some more!) The first peeps are there from around noon with the last leaving at 5ish

https://www.theoldforgeotterbourne.co.uk/
Last edited by Vince Massimo on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correction to date
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Winter Social 2018

Post by Wurzel »

I'm in :D See you there on the 24th November :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
John W

Post by John W »

I hope to be there too. Though I will have to take the early shift, leaving at about 3.30pm.

Cheers
John W
millerd

Post by millerd »

As ever, I shall be there. A highpoint of the year! :)

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

just a bump to keep it on peoples radar :)
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Count me in too please
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
David M

Post by David M »

This could be an irresistible option. There are some members that I'd much like to see.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

As things currently stand, I shall be there too - really looking forward to it!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Hi all -

I’m really keen to come to this. Although clearly new to posting on this site, I’ve used it as a resource (including the many excellent diaries) for many years, and with a little extra time on my hands this year I’ve started bumping into some of you out in the field, so it seems a good time to say hello, and the social seems like the place to do it.....

And for those of you I have bumped into this year (Trevor, Dave, Neil from memory) I’m generally the one dashing off to do the school/nursery run (I have two young daughters) just as the clouds part and the butterfly action begins to explode! Trying to squeeze in some butterflying when there really isn’t time is a frustrating experience, but it’s better than nothing!

So if nobody objects to a relative stranger crashing your social I’ll see you there.....

Oh - and I’m in Brighton by the way - just moved down from East London

Cheers - Ben
millerd

Post by millerd »

Hi Ben I bumped into you at Mill Hill a couple of weeks ago if memory serves. You'd be most welcome at the social - no one's a stranger at these gatherings! :)

Dave
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Ah yes Dave - it was nice meeting you.
Social sounds great - see you there.
Ben
Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

This looks to be a great opportunity and I'm trying to manage it this year as it would be good to meet people.

Would also really enjoy a summer gathering/picnic at one of the often mentioned special sites (that I wouldn't see normally). Or maybe you do that and I missed it.

Hope to be there.

Peter
Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Art Frames wrote:This looks to be a great opportunity and I'm trying to manage it this year as it would be good to meet people.

Would also really enjoy a summer gathering/picnic at one of the often mentioned special sites (that I wouldn't see normally). Or maybe you do that and I missed it.

Hope to be there.

Peter
A summer gathering has been mooted around a few times over the years but has never really come to anything although the occasional unofficial one does happen when something throws a curve ball at ya, like this years Black Hairstreak discovery in Sussex for example.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi All
This is always a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. It is great to see catch up with some familiar faces and hopefully some new ones. I look forward to it every year :D
Mildheart

Post by Mildheart »

Hi all

I've not been on here for ages but I'm intending to go to this this year.

Clive
Susie

Post by Susie »

bugboy wrote:
Art Frames wrote:This looks to be a great opportunity and I'm trying to manage it this year as it would be good to meet people.

Hope to be there.

Peter
A summer gathering has been mooted around a few times over the years but has never really come to anything although the occasional unofficial one does happen when something throws a curve ball at ya, like this years Black Hairstreak discovery in Sussex for example.
There were a few summer events. There were some excellent photographic workshops and a couple of field trips.

Perhaps something should be organised for next year.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Susie wrote:Perhaps something should be organised for next year.
Sounds like something to discuss at the social :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
millerd

Post by millerd »

Just relaying something I read in the railway press recently...

The RMT are planning strike action on South Western Railway services on every Saturday in November. If this happens, getting to the Social by train to Shawford will very tricky. It would be theoretically possible to get from London to Winchester via Reading (GWR then Cross Country) and thence by bus to the pub, but haven't researched the detail of that yet!

Of course, the strike may not happen, but it would be worth keeping an eye on things and make contingency plans if it looks like going ahead.

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Susie wrote:
bugboy wrote:

Hope to be there.

Peter
There were a few summer events. There were some excellent photographic workshops and a couple of field trips.

Perhaps something should be organised for next year.
Before my time old girl :P :wink:
millerd wrote:Just relaying something I read in the railway press recently...

The RMT are planning strike action on South Western Railway services on every Saturday in November. If this happens, getting to the Social by train to Shawford will very tricky. It would be theoretically possible to get from London to Winchester via Reading (GWR then Cross Country) and thence by bus to the pub, but haven't researched the detail of that yet!

Of course, the strike may not happen, but it would be worth keeping an eye on things and make contingency plans if it looks like going ahead.

Dave
Bloody better not strike!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Catriona

Post by Catriona »

millerd, the number 1 Blue Star bus from Winchester passes The Old Forge every 15 minutes or so. A reliable bus service.

Iona

Return to “Field Trips and Events”