ernie f

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: ernie f

Post by bugboy »

I was at Daneway on the 24th. By far my best Large Blue encounter with at least 20 seen by me (likely more) and a mating pair for me too. Usually I'm happy to come away with 5 and often less so double figures was spectacular!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Kev, Wurzel, David, Bugboy

I am so pleased with my smallish haul of Large Blues this year. There was no way I had the ability to find 16 (Dave) or more than 20 (Bugboy) and I think they are probably in decline now so I shall not be trying again. I did try Rodborough Common again, this time in a place I was directed to but there were none that I could see. I was informed that they fly a few days earlier at Rodborough than they do at Daneway so maybe were finished by the time I looked, or nearly so.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

A new Nature Reserve for me today. This is a Butterfly Conservation reserve called Rough Bank just north of Bisley and less than a 30 min drive away from my house. I went there to see if any DG Frits were flying but I didn't see any.

However did see... M Brown, M White, Ringlet, L & S & E Skip, S Heath and Gatekeeper.

This was my first Gatekeeper and Essex Skipper of the year so far and maybe surprisingly, my first Ringlet of the year too.

But the Meadow Browns, Marbled Whites and Smessexes were uncountable. Certainly in the hundreds and maybe even thousands. Butterfly Conservation certainly know how to conserve butterflies around here!
P1230217.JPG
P1230230.JPG
P1230197.JPG
P1230171.JPG
And I found the scenery breathtaking, as was the return walk back up the hill!
P1230222.JPG
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Congrats with the Essex Ernie 8) I'm not having any luck with them at the moment - they're all either Smessex or Smalls :roll: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see you making the most of your first summer 'out west', ernie.

I have no doubt you'll find where the concentrations of Large Blues are at Rodborough soon enough.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

This moth was resting in our porch this morning. I think it is a Buff Ermine. Can anyone confirm or otherwise?

Thanks.
Buff Ermine (1).JPG
Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

I'd say so, ernie. Ticks all the boxes:

https://butterfly-conservation.org/moths/buff-ermine
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

David
Thanks for the moth ID confirmation
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Well I haven't been butterflying too much recently, what with the rain, DIY and when we do get a chance to go out, its me and Gloria day-tripping the Cotswolds.

But I did get out to walk my local patch, Swells Hill, the other day.

My species count for this site is slowly creeping up to now include Gatekeeper, DG Frit and Chalkhill Blue. Indeed, this year I have now seen all the 'blue' butterflies it is possible to see at this site. That is, Small, Large, Common, Holly, Adonis, Chalkhill and Brown Argus.

The Chalkhills are already in good numbers. Not the thousands I am used to at Old Winchester Hill in Hampshire, but nevertheless, fair for a location I can walk to from my house. And I managed to pick up a pair in-cop. I am getting quite used to carrying butterflies around with me. I met a guy who confirmed he had seen this pair over an hour before like this. By the time I put them back down again, I could add a further 20 minutes to this.
P1230562.JPG
P1230569.JPG
P1230605.JPG
You could actually see through this female's wings to the patterning on the other side. Not too obvious in this photo but quite evident in the field.
P1230552.JPG
A few Gatekeepers were dotted around on brambles and elsewhere.
P1230633.JPG
And another Essex Skip from this site.
P1230621.JPG
At home we get foxes every day. It appears to be a family. We get the male singly, then the female, either alone or with her young, or the young together or singly. One day we had four in the back garden all at once, mum with her three cubs.
Fox in garden - close-up (7).JPG
P1230430closer.jpg
Then there are the deer. Mainly its Roe but there are Muntjac too. The max at once so far is three Roe...
P1230511.JPG
But I got some excellent shots of one who sat close to the house chewing the cud while looking about.
P1230344.JPG
Then there was the Badger that passed through early one morning. Too fleeting to get my camera on him though. Maybe in future?
Ernie F
trevor

Post by trevor »

A lovely post Ernie. Not only for the butterflies, but the animals as well.
My local Fox was brave enough to enter my back garden on two occasions recently.
When it saw me panic set in and it twice cleared a 6' fence in one leap, incredible.
Even a cat wouldn't be that agile.

Trevor.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Ernie

I'm no longer a fan of picking up butterflies especially those in cop. I mean, why even do it?????? You can get great shots without that. However, your animal images are stunning and I am very envious of your fox experiences - obviously :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Trevor

Thank you for your very kind post. Those foxes are pretty agile aren't they? But I had no idea they could jump as high as you say. It has finally explained to me something I witnessed when I was a teenager but could never explain. I once saw a fox asleep on top of someones lean-to house extension near where I lived with my parents back then and could not figure out how it got up there. Now I know - it merely jumped up!
Ernie F
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Ernie, lovely Fox pictures, you've solved a problem for me, too, :D I was staying at my Daughters House when she let her dog out into the garden, we heard the dog bark and when we looked we saw a Fox looking back at us from the top of her garage roof :D since then we've wondered just how it got up there. :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

ernie f wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:35 am...The Chalkhills are already in good numbers...
Thanks for the info, ernie. I'd like to get down there to see them before I go to Spain next weekend (if only it would stop raining!)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Chalkhills Ernie :D Even better that they're 'within walking distance' ones :mrgreen:
"Too fleeting to get my camera on him though. Maybe in future?"...Johnny Kingdom used to swear by peanuts and peanut butter to draw the Badgers in so you could try that as if they've been by once they might come past again :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Goldie: Thanks for that. So it wasn't an isolated incident then. They really do like getting up on the roof if they can.

David: If it rains all the time before you go away, I am sure they will still be there on your return.

Wurzel: Sound advice. I was aware of that. The previous owners of our house told us they put out peanuts for them and it did attract them in. I may just do it.
Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

ernie f wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:22 amDavid: If it rains all the time before you go away, I am sure they will still be there on your return.
Thanks, ernie. It stopped raining yesterday so I managed to get over there for a look. Plenty of Chalkhills about.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Not too much to report lately, just three things really.

The only Nature Reserve I have visited recently has been Swifts Hill and the only butterfly of note was the Small Copper, my first since my move to this district.
Copper at Swifts Hill.JPG
But in my back garden one morning I had just started work on a job when I saw this moth on the patio slabs. I think it is a 'Black Arches' and if so it's my first ever.
Black Arches Moth in back garden (2).JPG
Black Arches Moth in back garden (1).JPG
And this feature has appeared over time in the lawn of the back garden. As I have already mentioned we get a lot of foxes here and whilst they have found a way in from the wood behind us at three points in our back hedge, they favour one as a means of passing through to the front garden and in so doing have created this track.
Fox track in back garden.JPG
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Spot on with the Black Arches Ernie :D Love the Fox track :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

I've seen sheep make tracks but never foxes, ernie.

Surprised you have had to wait so long for Small Copper. They usually turn up in low numbers fairly regularly from mid=April onwards.

Return to “Personal Diaries”