ernie f

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ernie f

Re: ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Hi, Katrina

Thanks for reading my diary. I shall reciprocate. I haven't ready many peoples diaries recently as you probably know by now I have moved into a new house and there is a lot to do. Its not easy to get an hour here and there to go butterflying and write my own accounts but I like to keep my hand in.

Yes that cow sign is so funny - and its not the only one. There is even a solar-powered neon sign so drivers can see the cow warning at night in the dark. They think of everything.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Went back to Siccaridge Wood for an hour today for the Pearl-bordered Frits. I have to down-size my count. I said yesterday there were 6 but in fact I had double-counted one - so there are in fact only 5 at the moment and they are showing signs of wear and tear by now.
P1220710.JPG
P1220724.JPG
P1220737.JPG
These woodlands are known for their carpets of wild Lily-of-the-Valley in Spring and whilst I missed this - one or two are still in fresh bloom even now.
P1220744.JPG
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's lovely to see the Pearls Ernie :D Is Siccaridge Wood the reserve opposite Daneway Banks - I seem to recall there being a wood on the other side of the road from the gate to Daneways with a little car park?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

ernie f wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:29 pmWent back to Siccaridge Wood for an hour today for the Pearl-bordered Frits. I have to down-size my count. I said yesterday there were 6 but in fact I had double-counted one - so there are in fact only 5 at the moment and they are showing signs of wear and tear by now.
I didn't know Pearls flew at that location, ernie. It's not far down the lane from you so that's another desirable you've got locally. :mrgreen:
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel - Yep, that's the one. Amazing isn't it? PBF's one side of the road and Large Blues the other. Unfortunately you'd be extremely lucky to see both the same day. I actually checked and of course, no Large Blues are flying yet!

David - I was as surprised as you to find it out as it's not anywhere on the internet as far as I can tell. I had read that some years ago they were flying at Cirencester Park which is nearby but is quite difficult to access (and huge too, so finding the Frits without any knowledge of the terrain there might take some time), and I didn't even know if they were still there or not. But I had a hunch. I used to live in nearby Chalford and often visited Siccaridge Woods for birds (before I got into butterflies) so I knew the location already and so I knew there was habitat there which might be of use to them. Sure enough, I turned up and there was an info board near the entrance which said they had them there. It didn't take long to find them after that.
Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

I usually do Rodborough Common for Dukes and then travel to Ewyas Harold for PBFs on the same day, ernie.

Next time I think I'll try Siccaridge Wood as an alternative given how much close it is to Rodborough.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

David - Whilst I found PBF's in three places in Siccaridge Woods, by far the best location at the moment is on the main woodland path across the top of the hill. Use the trailhead opposite the gate that leads to Daneway. Eventually the Siccaridge Wood path opens out into a scrubby glade beside a bench. You can sit and eat your sarnies while they flit around you!
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Off I went to Strawberry Bank again to get amongst the Marshies. My thinking was that they were probably at peak now and when I got there I was correct. I counted 18 in total and many of them were becoming translucent with age.

I also saw 3 Small Blue, 6 Common Blue, 2 faded Dingies, 8 Small Heath, 2 Small White and 1 Large Skipper.

Directly after I found the Large Skipper I thought I saw another one, but then did a double-take. No. It appeared to be too small to be a Large Skipper and was the wrong colour. As I approached I realised it was a Marshie, but a micro ab version of it. Here it is nectaring on a Milkwort.
P1220766.JPG
A minute or so later I found a normal size one on a Hawkbit. I got closer to take photos, fully expecting it to flit off but it didn’t. It was fully engrossed so I took the liberty of lifting the Hawkbit while still carrying its butterfly load. I held it for 30 minutes in my hand, taking photos and showing people as I walked around the reserve!
P1220841.JPG
While carrying my Marshie friend I came across another butterfly enthusiast who was taking pictures of a pair of Marshies in-cop. We chatted and he was kind enough to hold onto my Marshie on its flower-head while I photographed his ones partially hidden in the grass.
P1220855.JPG
Again I took a liberty with them. It was merely my intention to move grasses out of the way for a clearer picture but when I had my hand under them they dropped onto it and I was able to remove them from the swathe of undergrowth.
P1220870.JPG
So one of us had a pair of mating Marshies on his hand while the other of us had the one nectaring from a Hawkbit – so I had the idea of moving them together to get this shot!
P1220869.JPG
What fun.

Other stuff…

Last time I was here I reported I saw a few Lesser Butterfly Orchids in bloom. Today I added a further 10 to my count.

I am not up on Gall Wasps but saw this today at Strawberry Bank. I think it is a group of Rose Bedeguar Galls (aka Robins Pincushion Galls). If you know what they are – please let me know. Thanks.
P1220752.JPG
And finally, a special note for Wurzel. I said I would give you a heads-up when the Large Blues started to fly at Daneway. Well although I didn’t go there today I met a guy at Strawberry Bank who had been there today and he said he had seen three flying there. Typical isn’t it? In my recent post I said you would be lucky if you ever saw Pearl Bordered Frits and Large Blues flying on the same day and what happens? I find that it is not only possible – it is actually likely. I may go to Daneway and Siccaridge Wood tomorrow just to see if I can.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Today I was reminded of the song lyric...

'If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with'

Why?

'Cos I went to Daneway with the knowledge that Large Blues were seen flying there yesterday but when I went there today I saw none and yet instead I saw 23 Greater Butterfly Orchids!
Greater Butterfly Orchid (1).JPG
Greater Butterfly Orchid (2).JPG
It was a nice sunny day too - a couple of pics of the place...

This is where the Large Blues should have been...
Large Blue country - Daneway Bank.JPG
A view of Sapperton Village from a vantage point close the the Daneway trailhead
Sapperton from Daneway.JPG
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Marshies and Butterfly Orchids Ernie :D Sorry that you didn't get to see the Large Blues and thanks for the heads up :D I don't know if I'll be able to make a visit there this year now though as today I went for Small Pearls at Priddy and took a circular route home via Collard Hill :wink: That sneaky little manoeuvre may have put the kibosh on a Daneways trip :? When I've seen them there before the very far end at the bottom of the steepest bit of hill is usually quite good.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

ernie f wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:25 pmDavid - Whilst I found PBF's in three places in Siccaridge Woods, by far the best location at the moment is on the main woodland path across the top of the hill. Use the trailhead opposite the gate that leads to Daneway. Eventually the Siccaridge Wood path opens out into a scrubby glade beside a bench. You can sit and eat your sarnies while they flit around you!
Many thanks, ernie. Sounds heavenly!

Although you missed Large Blue at Daneway, you're rather spoiled for choice over the next few weeks given they've been introduced at Rodborough too!
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel, David - Thanks for your replies. It has been quite frustrating for me to know I am so close to Large Blues but had no luck with them - but things will pick up. I know this because...
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Two days ago I had an hour to spare so I decided to do a walk around my local patch at Swells Hill because I hadn’t actually been there since spring. What a change. The cowslips had gone of course to be replaced by some quite tall grass which the Meadow Browns had now called home. It was teeming with them. This area is just the side of a rather small hill and yet there must have been well over 100 of them. I guess it should have been no surprise to me because we have had them visit our garden almost every day recently. We have been getting the ‘overspill’ I suppose. What was perhaps more surprising is that there were no Ringlet. Not that I could see anyway. Second in numbers was the Marbled White of which there must have been upwards of 50.
P1230005.JPG
P1230002.JPG
Then the Small Heath, maybe less than 10 in all, then two Small Skippers and even a couple of Small Blues still hanging on in there and finally, last but by no means least…
P1230007.JPG
My first Large Blue of the year. I was only able to snatch this one shot before it flew off. This was on a decidedly steep section of the hill so chasing butterflies was out of the question. Of course it was no problem for the butterfly who I am sure did not even realise it was on a steep slope.

I was over the moon. Some years ago I had made the long trip to Daneway. Well back then it was a long trip for me because I lived in Alton in Hampshire, but I did get lucky on that day and saw a few, and even a pair in-cop. However, that was my first and last time – until today, and this one was on my doorstep! My house is literally only a 15 minute walk from where this one was flying.

I’ll go back again when I get a moment and its sunny and of course shall visit Daneway again when I can which is a lot easier for me to do now than it used to be.
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Excellent news Ernie 8) Good things drop into the laps of those who wait :wink: :lol: 8) Now you've broken your duck you'll probably be tripping over them :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel - Yep you are right, I broke my duck today.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I counted 111 Marbled Whites this morning on Swells Hill Bank, approx double of yesterday and almost equalling the Meadow Browns. I also saw two more Small Skippers and one Large Skipper.
P1230030.JPG
P1230038.JPG
P1230096.JPG
It was a bit overcast to begin with and it was my intention merely to return home, but then the sun came out so I chanced a visit to Daneway. You see I read David’s account of his recent trip there where I think I remember him saying he saw 16 Large Blues. I was not as lucky as him seeing only 7 myself but I met a lady doing a transect who told me the count of eggs in one small recording patch ran into hundreds and the numbers of flying Large Blues was a lot more than are usually seen by someone without a detailed knowledge of the reserve.
P1230099.JPG
However I had luck with one Large Blue in particular that held its wings open for me for some while.
P1230074.JPG
P1230080.JPG
And then it flew off and I followed. I am glad I did because it then proceeded to do a bit of egg-laying.
P1230088.JPG
P1230089.JPG
P1230090.JPG
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Back at Daneway today and my second ever pair of mating Large Blues.
P1230129.JPG
P1230127.JPG
Can you tell from its expression that its in the heat of passion?
P1230150.JPG
Ernie F
kevling

Post by kevling »

Hi Ernie,

Enjoying your diary. Great photos of the Large Blues at Daneway. Like the Marshies from a previous post too. Nice to see you get a pair in copulation.

Regards
Kev
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Excellent to see the Duck is now well and truly broken and is in fact being served a la orange Ernie :wink: :lol: Cracking set of shots :D - sometimes they do just pose for you but on other times they're right teases :roll: :wink:

Have a godun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

So glad you caught up with them, ernie, and your open wing shots are envy-inducing. :mrgreen:

Return to “Personal Diaries”