Mountain Ringlet – Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 11 – There is a slightly Northern feel this week (well 2/3's anyway) as time races on :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Re: Mountain Ringlet – Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by David M »

Mountain Ringlets are fairly common in the French Alps in July. That said, I didn't pay particular attention to them and only really took one worthwhile image in 2017:
10.MountainRinglet(1).jpg
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

A quick trip to the Lakes (!) on 15 June was my first UK encounter with the Mountain Ringlet. The weather was marginal and not many about, but some serious searching was rewarded.
Attachments
mountain ringlet macro (24).JPG
mountain ringlet macro (46).JPG
mountain ringlet macro (28).JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see someone on here got an audience with this tricky species in the UK in 2017, Wolfson!

A bit of cloud comes in handy when studying epiphron. The time to avoid pursuing them is when the sun shines all day without a cloud to assist we observers.
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

On the walk up from Red Tarn towards Crinkle Crags, it was warm and sunny but a 25mph wind made photography very tricky. I decided to just sit and watch as dozens of Ringlets were blown about. I found this fecund female sitting in the grass in the lee of this rock.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Small Mountain Ringlet (f) 1.7.17 Great Knott_ Great Langdale_ Cumbria. Nigel Kemp.JPG

Return to “Mountain Ringlet”