j-d welch

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
j-d welch

j-d welch

Post by j-d welch »

Just a quick hello from me jd.welch and thank you for accepting my registered membership...
I have been a great fan of this website for several years, it is a brilliant resource and over the last few years it has helped me to understand that I have a healthy obsession that is growing by the year. I enjoy different types of photography but come the spring the 105mm lens comes out and " la chasse aux papillons " starts...
Recently having checked UKB for a Brown Hairstreak site near to Taunton; I finally chose Thurlbear Quarrylands as a likely spot; so over the last weekend in August I managed a couple of visits on the 27th & the 29th; thanks to UKB and the information that I had gleaned, I had an enjoyable couple of walks but more importantly I captured the following:
DSC_1551 (2).JPG
DSC_1573 (2).JPG
DSC_1595 (2).JPG
DSC_1616 (2).JPG
DSC_1629 (2).JPG
what a fabulous couple of days and thanks to UKB I saw and captured my first ever Brown Hairstreak...I literally skipped out of the Thurlbear quarrylands after that and I'm still excited about it now but most people I tell about this adventure just smile n nod slightly condescendingly and say " well isn't that nice " well it was actually and I even saw my first couple of clouded yellow in the UK for good measure. An unforgettable experience and I will be visiting Thurlbear woods n Quarrylands next year for sure...
Kind regards, jd
Last edited by Vince Massimo on Wed May 31, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Incorrect title for Personal Diary

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Re: newly registered member...

Post by trevor »

A warm welcome from me J D.
Looking forward to more from you. That last image of the Clouded Yellow on Ragwort is stunning !.
The Clouded Yellow has shown well in Sussex this Summer/Autumn.

All the best,
Trevor.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

I remember waiting in the cloud and occasional rain for six hours on Witherslack, hoping to see my first High Brown Fritillary. At 4.15 there was a flash of sun and an HBF appeared and landed on a small conifer right in front of me. I photographed it with closed wings. As the sun brightened it opened its wings momentarily for an upper shot and sped off to the top of a nearby tree. I walked the two miles back to the car through peeing rain about four feet off the ground :D . Difficult to explain to non-butterfliers...

Tony M.

David M

Post by David M »

Welcome, JD. Looking forward to seeing your future posts.

William

Post by William »

Welcome, JD! Nice to hear from a fellow Somerset member, you did well to find the Brown Hairstreaks at Thurlbear, not always an easy butterfly - let me know if you need any information about butterflying in the county.

BWs,

William

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Welcome JD, great shots to start you off, Goldie :D

j-d welch

Post by j-d welch »

trevor wrote:A warm welcome from me J D.
Looking forward to more from you. That last image of the Clouded Yellow on Ragwort is stunning !.
The Clouded Yellow has shown well in Sussex this Summer/Autumn.

All the best,
Trevor.
Many thanks for your welcome and comments, Trevor

j-d welch

Post by j-d welch »

Tony Moore wrote:I remember waiting in the cloud and occasional rain for six hours on Witherslack, hoping to see my first High Brown Fritillary. At 4.15 there was a flash of sun and an HBF appeared and landed on a small conifer right in front of me. I photographed it with closed wings. As the sun brightened it opened its wings momentarily for an upper shot and sped off to the top of a nearby tree. I walked the two miles back to the car through peeing rain about four feet off the ground :D . Difficult to explain to non-butterfliers...

Tony M.
absolutely, the thrill n joy of a first encounter ( having set out to see n capture a particular butterfly ) and you manage a few good shots as well.......now that is a flippin good day so I am with you all the way Tony. By the way I haven't seen a High brown Fritillary as of yet, so next year I will remember your tale....good to make your acquaintance and I look forward to following your diary n posts; Kind regards, jd

j-d welch

Post by j-d welch »

David M wrote:Welcome, JD. Looking forward to seeing your future posts.
Thank you David for your welcome and I will undoubtedly look forward to seeing your posts as well, kind regards, jd

j-d welch

Post by j-d welch »

William wrote:Welcome, JD! Nice to hear from a fellow Somerset member, you did well to find the Brown Hairstreaks at Thurlbear, not always an easy butterfly - let me know if you need any information about butterflying in the county.

BWs,

William
Many thanks William, I will definitely keep you to that offer no doubt, I am a relative newcomer to Somerset ( my girl friend has just moved there and I will follow shortly) so I will certainly need some good pointers next year; I look forward to seeing your posts in the meantime; kind regards, jd

j-d welch

Post by j-d welch »

Goldie M wrote:Welcome JD, great shots to start you off, Goldie :D
Many thanks Goldie, for your kind comments and welcome; I look forward to following n seeing your posts; kind regards, jd

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A belated welcome JD :D Great shoots to start off on :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”