Brown Argus - Favourite Photo of 2015

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Continuing to build the Favourite Species Shots we enter into week 2.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Re: Brown Argus - Favourite Photo of 2015

Post by David M »

Didn't concentrate a great deal of time towards this species in 2015.

The most I saw on a single day was on 23rd May at Rodborough Common, where this individual was captured:
1BrArg male(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Luckily, I don't have to go very far for this species - a colony popped up less than five minutes from the house this year. :) Here is an individual from here seen on 6th July - an early second brood male - with two different angles to the light.
BA2 060715.JPG
BA4 060715.JPG
I also liked this pair at Aston Rowant from the first brood - seen on 22nd May.
BA pair3 220515.JPG
Dave
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Down in the South of France where it is generally warm, these blighters don't stay still for very long, so I consider myself lucky to have got these posing shots:
Uppersides from the Valley of Eyne in the Pyrennees in June:
agestis11_66 Eynes 16 Jun 2015 (1).JPG
Undersides from Vitrolles near Marseilles in June
agestis10_13 Vitrolles friche 11 Jun 2015.JPG
Cheers, Chris
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I took my photo at Temple Ewell in Kent on the 7th August, I was lucky this year to see it , not seeing it at all last year, Goldie :D
Attachments
Brown Argus Temple Ewell Kent
Brown Argus Temple Ewell Kent
celery

Post by celery »

Seemed to be a quiet year for this species in my little part of the East Midlands. Had to wait till 13th September to see this rather worn specimen at Bingham Linear Park.
Brown Argus (Plebeius agestis) - Bingham Linear Park, Bingham, Notts. - 13th September, 2015
Brown Argus (Plebeius agestis) - Bingham Linear Park, Bingham, Notts. - 13th September, 2015
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I totally failed to find any Brown Argus at any of my local spots this year but given the way the weather seemed to affect some other species flight times, I could easily have missed them.

There were at least half a dozen around on the north side Aston Rowant plus a few on the south side when I went there in August. The two shots below were taken on the north side where they were mostly in better condition, possibly indicating that they had emerged a little bit later there.
Brown Argus - Aston Rowant 12.08.2015
There were also good numbers of Brown Argus around at most sites I went to when I was down in Dorset in early September. Most of these were worn and faded but there were a few still in reasonable condition . I particularly like the shot below of a female basking in the early evening sun at Durdle Door.
Brown Argus - Durdle Door 03.09.2015
Brown Argus - Durdle Door 03.09.2015
Cheers,

Neil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Don't think I can pic just one. I saw these in many places in 2015, always a pleasure to catch a glimpse of silver catching the sun
Brown Argus, Aldbury Nowers Nature Reserve #20.JPG
Brown Argus, Aldbury Nowers Nature Reserve #27.JPG
Brown Argus, Aldbury Nowers Nature Reserve #39.JPG
Brown Argus, Denbies Hillside #2.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brown Argus

This was taken in July at Mottisfont. I had just discovered Broughton Down and as Mottisfont was only a further 5 minutes down the road I managed to blag several trips out. This was because after a couple of hours up on the Down the girls and I would clamber down and zoom over to Mottisfont where they could wander the grounds, climb and mess around with the dams. So everyone was happy – my wife for the peace it brought her, me because I got to visit Broughton and the girls because they got to play with the possibility of ice cream afterwards! That feeling of happiness and satisfaction is brought back to me when I see this image and hence it’s my favourite brown Argus.
288 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

A nice bright underside in my favourite photo, taken at Aston Rowant NNR in September:
Aston Rowant NNR, Oxon - 16th September 2015<br />Olympus E-M5 with 40-150 lens - 1/800s @ f/10 ISO400
Aston Rowant NNR, Oxon - 16th September 2015
Olympus E-M5 with 40-150 lens - 1/800s @ f/10 ISO400
Mike
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Found a few shots that I,m quite pleased with ,the normal upperwing shot was taken at Dungeness(Kent), the white spotted individual,which I think is
AB;Snellini , (and very similar to Hoggers Brown Arg, in his diary),was one of two seen at Wye NNR(Kent),during the season,and the underside also from Wye.
regards Allan.W.
DSCF1046.JPG
DSCF9433.JPG
DSCF9436.JPG

Return to “Brown Argus”