Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking sights there Bugboy :D , I've still to find a GVW so have a :mrgreen: . The weather seems to be in this incessant loop of nastiness; too cool, too cloudy, too wet or too windy. I'm just hoping for that one golden day when everything is just right :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel. You’re right about the weather, we do seem to be stuck in a Groundhog day style loop which only those lucky buggers who happen to be retired have a chance of escaping!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

March 2024

Sunday 31st. I went down to explore the Amberley/Burpham hills again. Although the butterflies were putting on a good show locally, the weather had also brought out lots of people, which in the big smoke I find takes the gloss from the day. Country folk tend to be a lot less judgy seeing a lone man walking around with a big camera around his neck, and they’re a lot less common too!

Anyway, the predicted morning sunny spells turned out to be a fantasy. The same forecasts also predicted even more sunshine after lunch which given the grey blanket overhead, I wasn’t holding much hope for.

It was relatively quiet on the bird front but there was a Kite flying around with a random leg dangling. Kites have yellow legs so I’m presuming this is the remains of breakfast. I also came across some Hares taking in the views on one of the slopes.
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG
Despite the cloud cover a few Peacocks were active, most of them escaped the camera but one allowed me to get close.
IMG_0132.JPG
A wander along a previously unexplored path gave me a Red Admiral along with plenty of in flower Blackthorn.
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0167.JPG
Half an hour later the promised sun actually started to appear, so I returned to this patch of Blackthorn where I stayed for over an hour, enjoying the company of Peacocks, Brimstones and a couple of Comma.
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0228.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG
IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG
I took a slow wander into Burpham, finding numerous more Peacocks and Brimstones along the way

I had expected to add a few more species to the days tally after the previous day’s species count but it was just a solitary female Small White that I could claim in the end, just outside Burpham.
IMG_0455.JPG
Peacocks certainly seem to be the butterfly of the moment though with plenty more seen on the walk back to Amberley station!
IMG_0486.JPG
IMG_0508.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

April 2024

Monday 1st. As well as being the international day of silly pranks (luckily I work with some gullible colleagues, much hilarity was had), April the 1st is also the start of the new years transects. My two at work don’t often get going until mid May so I was pleasantly surprised to find I could add two butterflies to the first transect of the year. Just to put things into context, that is actually quite a noteworthy event so early in the season and my end of year totals could easily be a daily count on some of the best chalk downland sites in high summer. Expectations have to be adjusted! The two sightings were a Brimstone who predictable just flew past and a Small white who sat for me.
IMG_0001.JPG
Cloud cover prevented me from continuing on to the second transect, and Jury service for the rest of the week meant I wasn’t going to be able to attempt it until the weekend.

Friday 5th. I managed to finish Jury Service mid afternoon and since the afternoon had been quite sunny, I attempted to pop out to the local patch in the hope of catching up with something before roosting time, managing just a single Peacock.
IMG_0018.JPG

Sunday 7th. A gap in the clouds after lunch meant I was able to fit in the second transect on the last day of the first week and I’m glad I did. It’s just a short 10 minute transect but generally does better than the longer one I do on account of it being a continuous strip of decent habitat, rather than fragmented hotspots on the main half hour one I do. The reason I was glad is because this beauty was the first thing I came across.
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
I’ve been doing these transects since 2015 and this is just the eighth Small Tort I’ve recorded, four of which were in 2022 when they were at near plague levels at some sites.

Four butterflies in total were seen (with suitably adjusted expectations this is practically unheard of). The others were a Brimstone (who didn’t sit), a Comma and a Speckled Wood.
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff there Bugboy :D especially the Small White - I've only seen one so far and that was from behind the wheel so no chance of a photo :roll: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel. This is the only time of year when that little green face gets used for the more common and mundane species :) !

Monday 8th. Week two for my transects and there was enough sun to fit them both in this afternoon. Speckled Woods, Brimstones and a Peacock were on the menu today
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see that Small Tortoiseshell, Paul. They seem to be getting almost equally scarce round my way these last couple of years a a sighting or two is always welcome.
Last edited by David M on Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More cracking stuff Bugboy :D
"This is the only time of year when that little green face gets used for the more common and mundane species :) " Indeed I have a surfeit that I've built up over the winter along with an unhealthy dose of FOMO :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks David. Sadly it seems they are one of the casualties of climate change in our neck of the woods, a species I have to search out now but luckily there’s still a few places where they are doing ok, relatively speaking near me.
Thanks Wurzel. I’m sure I can find some more stuff as the season progresses to help you make good use of them!

April 2024

Friday 12th. I’ve taken my camera in to work every day this week in the hope of a window of opportunity would present itself (my day off was a bit of a non-event) but it wasn’t until today that the sun decided to make an appearance. There was nothing much new aside from my first female Specklie of the year.
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
I finished work early which gave me just enough time for a half hour wander on the local patch. I was hoping to come across an Orange-tip or two basking at the end of the day, but I was out of luck on that front. Not a great deal was around, the hazy sun probably having sent most butterflies to bed early, but a few Peacocks was still around, battling with a solitary Comma and a Specklie.
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
Hopefully the weekend will see an upturn, no rain and it’s looking warm if a little cloudy.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Bugboy, I've yet to see a Small Tort :roll: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Specklies there Bugboy :D Hopefully the weather did indeed pan out well foryou, I've got a few :mrgreen: kicking around just in case :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Goldie. Sadly, you’re as likely to see a Large Tort as a Small Tort where you live now. If you can find a nice small river with natural banks or a damp meadow flush with nettles then those are the most likely places to find a Small Tort down here these days!
Thanks Wurzel, it did so I may be able to help you unload some of your MrGreens soon! :wink:

April 2024

Saturday 13th. A decent weekend seemed to be promised, if a little breezy. It was unfortunately the wrong side of pay day so forking out for two days further afield wasn’t an option so today I chose to explore Epping Forest. I’ve purposely avoided here over the winter (and Bookham) on account of how waterlogged it gets and not having any functioning wellies to navigate it. Anyway, it is a good place to find Orange-tips and up until now I’ve only had a single flyby.

Throughout the day, Peacocks were numerous. Commas on the other hand were very scarce, only four seen, as they seem to be in all my other local patches so far this year.
IMG_0012.JPG
Also very numerous were the Longhorn moths Adela reaumurella.
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
The day was still early and there was little else on the wing, surprisingly no Speckled Wood yet, but I was heading for a junction where a few paths meet which always has a bit of life. Today that life consisted of a couple of male Green-veined White who were busying themselves on some Garlic Mustard.
IMG_0079.JPG
After taking a few piccies I wandered a bit further along another path only for a male Orange-tip to flutter pass me, making a meandering beeline (bit of an oxymoron but I’m sure you know what I mean) for the junction. I kept my fingers crossed as I tailed him hoping it was still early enough for him to make a pit stop. It was, but with two male GVW in the mix I only had a few seconds each time he settled. Enough time though to grab my first OT pics of the year.
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
I made my way to another OT hotspot, with the occasional flyby indicating they were out in reasonable numbers today (I ended the day with a 15-20 headcount).
IMG_0117.JPG
At the next hotspot I found three males doing the rounds and after weeks of wishing the clouds would bugger off, I was now hoping one would turn up. It didn’t so I wandered off with plans to come back later when they’d be more willing to settle. The numerous Peacocks kept me entertained along with occasional GVW and I even managed another OT shot. Speckled Wood also began to make an appearance.
IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG
Mid afternoon I made my way back to the OT hotspot to find the three males still rather active but lurking on the fringes, keeping a low profile I found a couple of females.
IMG_0293.JPG
The males did finally relent but instead of choosing to feed on the numerous Dandelion or Garlic Mustard they fluttered up into a flowering Crab Apple, still, something a bit different.
IMG_0329.JPG
IMG_0343.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG
Very nearly a perfect day if it wasn't for all the hoards of people I had to share the woods with! :roll:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of OT shots Bugboy and that is a great OT count :D Having had a look at millerd's recent post I better save the :mrgreen: for when you post about the same day :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel. Here, let me help you with your excess of MrGreens :lol: .

April 2024

Sunday 14th. Quite a long day this was, so I’ll make it my first double post of the season (likely won’t be the last though) split into before Dave left and after Dave left (BD & AD).

Part 1, BD. I had an inkling I’d bump into Dave after the previous night conversation. As it was the timing couldn’t have been more perfect, he’d pulled into the car park as I was walking towards it on my way to Incombe Hole after an uneventful walk along the Ridgeway from Tring. This coombe sits southwest of Ivinghoe Beacon itself and it’s sheltered aspect gives it a head start from most of the rest of the region meaning butterflies are usually emerging here a week or two before the other local hotspots, and is often on a par with Noar Hill where Dukes are concerned. Given that the first Duke from Noar was reported on Facebook earlier in the week I thought it was definitely worth a punt and if nothing else it should be full of Green Hairstreaks who seemed to be out everywhere else!

As Dave and I chatted, heading off to see what was out, we were sometimes almost drowned out by the Skylarks which proliferate in the rough field to the southwest of Incombe Hole. They’re quite bold here, no doubt used to the many walkers that enjoy the area.
IMG_0088.JPG
We were quite early and for the first hour we had just a couple of Speckled Wood and a Peacock for company as the sun did battle with high milky cloud. Eventually though we came across a Green Hairstreak, exactly where a fellow enthusiast had pointed us to.
IMG_0130.JPG
By midday the sun seemed to be winning, just fluffy cumulus to contend with meaning when the sun did come out it was at full power and the butterflies responded. Peacocks were out in numbers and in one tiny suntrap I found over ten (plus one Comma).
IMG_0160.JPG
4 of the dozen or so that surrounded me.
4 of the dozen or so that surrounded me.
IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG
The Hairstreaks were popping up all over the place too, perhaps a dozen were encountered.
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0228.JPG
It was shortly after midday that, as we walked along the central path for the nth time, I noticed a small dark butterfly flitting ahead of Dave. There was nothing else it could be, so we kept a close eye on him as he took a right off the path and came to rest in some scrubby grass. Many pictures were taken of his freshly minted glistening wings. He shared this particular patch with a Dotted Bee fly
IMG_0248.JPG
IMG_0257.JPG
IMG_0272.JPG
One, two, three, four. Yup definitely male!
One, two, three, four. Yup definitely male!
IMG_0300.JPG
A wonderful end to the first half of my day
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Duke shots Bugboy and definitely a reason to start using up the surfeit of :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: I would have given you a few for the Greenstreaks but I managed to get a couple myself the other day :wink: Looking forward to part 2 :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely to see those Dukes and Green Hairstreaks, Paul.

I'll have to see mine in Spain.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel. Glad to be of assistance, here’s part two :) .
Thanks Davis, little bit jealous of your Spanish trip, presumably you’ll get a bit more sun than we’ve been getting here!

April 2024

Sunday 14th. Part 2, AD. Dave decided to leave early afternoon to beat the traffic but it was good to catch up for the first time this year, it won’t be the last! I however had the most to make out of my train ticket so I ventured further afield after that first Duke of the season find. As was to be expected, out of the shelter of the coombe, the nippy breeze made butterflies a little scarcer but in a nettle strewn corner as the path opened out to Steps Hill I found a Small Tortoiseshell.
IMG_0305.JPG
A little bit further along the path a small black caterpillar was trundling along, looking much like a miniature Peacock larvae, the presence of this Marsh Fritillary I’m sure gives a little tingle to someone’s ego! I moved him from the path to somewhere a bit safer.
IMG_0315.JPG
A few more Peacocks were disturbed in the more sheltered corners as I made my way to the gullies behind the Beacon itself. In a few weeks’ time these should be full of Dukes, Spring Skippers and numerous other species, today I was hoping to find some Holly Blue which I was still awaiting to find this season. My hunch was right, there were a couple active, well one was plugged into a bird dropping so he wasn’t active at all!
IMG_0318.JPG
IMG_0329.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG
Also flitting up and down the sheltered path was a male Orange-tip. Clouds caused him to take regular pit stops.
IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG
By mid afternoon the cloud cover had all but stopped play so I made a meandering wander back to Tring station, stopping off briefly at Incombe Hole again where I was told a Duchess had also put in an appearance in my absence.

Kite’s and Ravens kept me company along the windy Ridgway walk.
collage.png
IMG_0475.JPG
Aldbury Nowers is a good place for Orange-tip. I didn’t manage to find any roosting ones that morning but I had better luck now with three located. The first one had chosen a particularly windy spot and was getting blown ragged on his chosen Cow Parsley but the second two had chosen more wisely and as luck would have it the clouds parted long enough to encourage them to wake up.
IMG_0709.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0740.JPG
IMG_0752.JPG
IMG_0756.JPG
A lovely end to a great day out :) .
millerd

Post by millerd »

The rest of your day turned out pretty well, Paul. You did well to spot that caterpillar - I'd never have seen it! :) Some nice Orange Tips to finish with as well.

Cheers,

Dave
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Great selection of photos BB and accompanying narrative. Dukes? That Night Nurse I have been glugging is good stuff. I seem to have woken up in mid May. Is that normal for them to appear mid to late April where you are?
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking images Bugboy - part 2 was equally as enjoyable as part 1 8) Love the final Holly Blue shot and the OTs are brill 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It did thanks Dave, that caterpillar was actually on the bare path when I first saw it so not hard to miss!
Thanks Chris, yes indeed there are a few sites down here where you can expect Dukes in April if the weather conditions are conducive, but they are still very much a May butterfly. At that particular site they will still be emerging close to June as it has a range of micro habitats spread out over the meta-population.
Thanks Wurzel. as the saying goes, ‘you can never have enough Orange-tip pictures’ :) .

April 2024

Thursday 18th. Shockingly, the best day weatherwise of the week landed on my day off! I took full advantage and set off to see if the Green Hairstreaks were about over at Wanstead Park, Benjamin's old stomping ground. My route takes me through Wanstead Flats first where I got off to a promising start with a female Orange-tip breakfasting on some Green Alkanet.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
Green-veined White and Speckled Wood were both relatively common as I headed towards the Hairstreak hotspot
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
But all was quiet when I arrived at my destination, the male lekking spot. I wandered a little further around, heading for a patch where I’ve previously found females and eventually came across a male holding court amongst a patch of Broom.
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG
Back at the lekking spot I disturbed another one, but it didn’t stick around, possibly a female. Like everywhere else I’ve been this spring, Comma’s were scarce, but Peacocks were plentiful.
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0174.JPG
Along the banks of the river Roden here it’s mostly lush nettle (the reason why Small Torts can still be found here) and a few rather plump female Peacocks were investigating them. One of them looked to have narrowed down her choice to two shoots at the edge of a slight dip in that particular patch of nettle and she finally decided on one in what seemed to be a game of eeny meeny miny moe.
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0297.JPG
Green-veined White seem to be having a good spring too, there were by a long stretch the most numerous White.
IMG_0183.JPG
IMG_0272.JPG
Only two Small’s were positively ID’d.
IMG_0354.JPG
I did keep an eye out for Small Torts, in previous years I’ve had good success here, and eventually came across a singleton.
IMG_0329.JPG
Over the course of the afternoon there were also plenty of Orange-tip flybys but of course they are much more reluctant to settle than the other whites and I had to wait until some milky high cloud began to slow them down.
IMG_0378.JPG
The final find of the day was a Peacock with an extra smudge of black on the forewing, this seems to qualify it as ab. irenea (as well as being the more common ab. diaphthalmica).
IMG_0385.JPG
As I post this on the first day of an 11 day break from work I can only apologise to you all for once again jinxing the weather… :oops:

Return to “Personal Diaries”