Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, I’m sure he was wooing the ladies back then too :wink: !
Thanks David, bit of both below :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 2024

Tuesday 27th. A change of scenery took me to Newhaven on what would likely be my last chance to bag a February butterfly. I headed for the fort first where the sheltered paths and sunlit walls might encourage something from its slumber, I hoped. It was a bit early and the hazy cloud did need to thin a bit more, but I passed the time watching the Fulmars and Jackdaws playing in the light breeze.
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG
Down at the foot of the Fort the Fulmars were pairing up noisely.
IMG_0166.JPG
I wonder which one's the female....
I wonder which one's the female....
Also down here were a pair of Rock Pipit, one of whom posed like it was doing a shoot for Pipit Monthly!
IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG
The cloud had thinned now so I chanced my luck on returning to the top and quickly put up my first Peacock of the year. Thankfully it settled a bit further along the path and I managed to bag a few snaps before it flew off again, far to close to the cliff edge to follow more.
IMG_0397.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG
I did manage to find two more Peacock, one at Tidemills and another further on walking through the Ouse Estuary Reserve but both were camera shy. Lets hope things start getting a bit dryer in March.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Rock Pipit is definitely working the camera, that first pose is reminiscent of Derek Zoolanders' 'Blue Steel' :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see that Peacock, Paul. :mrgreen:
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, I’m not sure, think it needs to work on its pout a bit more to be ‘blue steel’ quality!
Thanks David, another one below :)

March 2024

Saturday 2nd. After another wet morning things brightened up a bit, in fact it felt quite warm in the sun, out of the wind so I took a wander through Walthamstow Wetlands up to Tottenham Marshes, the best place within walking distance to see the first butterflies. Nothing was seen though, probably still a little too early for the site and a little too much in the way of cloud cover. I did manage to grab a few shots of one of the local Kingfishers on the way back though.
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday 3rd was set to be a brighter and less breezy day and I fancied another day escaping London. Off course, being the weekend it was another day of rail closures so it was another day walking the hills and combes between Amberley and Burpham, there’s worse ways to spend a Sunday though!
20240303_131916.jpg
20240303_131909.jpg
The signs of spring were everywhere, Rooks were busy nesting, Skylarks once again filled the air with their song and it wasn’t long before I was shedding layers.
IMG_0050.JPG
Being very familiar with the area now I know where most the south facing unkempt hedges and slopes are with rabbit warrens, prime spots to find freshly reawakened hibernators, and it was along one of these at around midday when I spied my first Comma of the year. Still bleary eyed and searching out the dew to re-hydrate after its long sleep, it allowed close approach.
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG
I also had a Brimstone flutter by, but he was only interested in investigating pale things.

An hour and half later I also came across a Peacock in a sheltered spinney who stopped briefly.
IMG_0135.JPG
Not many Kites out today but the Buzzards were out in force and the Gulls were making good use of the flooded meadows. Burpham Meadows is impassable without a wetsuit of small boat! Amongst all those Black-headed and Common Gulls was a Mediterranean Gull, a lifer for me which unlike our own Black-headed Gulls actually does have a black head!
Buzzard
Buzzard
A lurking Mediterranean Gull.
A lurking Mediterranean Gull.
Walking through Burpham village I came across my first Red Admiral of the year. It was flying around someone’s house and trying to land on the window frame but gave up and fluttered off before I could get any snaps.

No more butterflies were seen but a few birds were enjoying the warmth and as the sun started to set I spooked a few Hares.
Female Great-spotted Woodpecker
Female Great-spotted Woodpecker
Wood Pigeon
Wood Pigeon
Brown Hare
Brown Hare
Looks like things are ticking along nicely now...
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sterling work finding the Med Gull in the flock Bugboy - another example of misnaming that one as our Black-headed Gull is more of a chocolate brown whilst the Med Gull really is black headed to my mind/eyes :? :roll: Sterling work with the Comma too, I've yet to find one of those this year, mind you the weather hasn't been too conducive of late :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, but it was complete luck with the Med Gull. I was just taking a few shots illustrating the local flooding. It was only when I put them on my laptop that the jet black head popped out at me! I’ve been having similar issues with the weather, more often than not, only sunny when I’m at work…except on my lunch break!!!

March 2024

Thursday 7th. The best chance of sun today looked like it was at the other end of the southern rail service. Being a weekday, most lines were actually running so I had the opportunity to sample the new improved (read extortionate) fares. After having to change trains on what was meant to be a direct route due to a late running one, I made it to Shoreham with the intention of wandering up to Lancing ring and environs. It did initially look promising, thin hazy cloud did seem to be allowing enough warmth through. With the tide on the way out, a few birds were breakfasting along the estuary, this Oystercatcher seemed very good at locating marine worms in the silt.
IMG_0028.JPG
A bold Wren wasn’t bothered by my close approach. He’d probably already had breakfast and was now simultaneously telling all other local male Wrens to politely vacate the premises whilst informing all local females they should come and take a look at his particular brand of supreme maleness!
IMG_0083.JPG
Unfortunately, by the time I’d reached Lancing Ring the cloud had thickened, the temperature had cooled and there was little chance of a butterfly sighting. Birds it was then! I found a pair of Great-spotted Woodpeckers drumming to each other. The female showed well, it looked like she was looking for a place to dig a nest site in between flying back to a dead branch to ‘chat’ to her mate.
IMG_0148.JPG
Further on The Skylarks were in good voice overhead, and sometimes on the path in front of me.
IMG_0369.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG
Joining them in the stubble were a flock of Reed Buntings.
IMG_0310.JPG
Birds of Prey were out in force too, yet another Peregrine sighting for me as one drifted over towards Mill Hill.
IMG_0325.JPG
I’d decided to walk along to Cissbury Ring and down in one of the valleys to one side of the path a Pair of Kites were playing in the wind and showing off to each other, all part of pair bonding. It made a change to be able to look down on them rather than up, although the background did confuse my auto focus a fair bit and getting some action shot as they dive bombed each other proved impossible.
IMG_0510.JPG
The rest of the walk up to Cissbury Ring was rather uneventful, if anything it just grew colder, so I turned and made my way back. Two hours after passing them the first time the two Kites were still playing in the same valley, I managed to capture a less than flattering moment this time.
IMG_0589.JPG
As you can see from the background the cloud had all but vanished and I was going to hightail back to Lancing Ring when out the corner of my eye I saw a couple more birds appear over the rise. My initial thought of ‘oooh they look big’ was immediately followed by an utterance of “bloody hell, Eagles”… or words to that effect! They were much closer than my last encounter and I manged to capture some nice action shots as they, like the Kites, played in the wind. Based on the plumage (the black edging on the tail feathers and the slightly jagged edge of the secondaries) these look like sub adults, at least 4 years old. The adults have completely white tail feathers and an almost ruler straight trailing edge of the wing.
IMG_0608.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG
IMG_0625.JPG
Anyway, they eventually drifted off westwards and with the sun now fully out I made my way back to Lancing Ring to find some sunny spots sheltered from the stiff breeze. It was certainly warm enough here but not even a sniff of a butterfly. Too little, too late perhaps but one thing I did notice was an almost complete lack of nectar sources, just a few Dandelions and a couple of Prunus sapling were in flower, so I suspect anything that had already awoken from hibernation had already dispersed to find something to feed on.

On the way back to Shoreham a Buzzard flew overhead, I didn’t realise it had a Vole until looking at the pictures later.
IMG_0690.JPG
IMG_0693.JPG
And down at the Estuary some Greater Black-backed Gulls towered over the Herring Gulls.
IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG
I had a half day the next day and the forecast suggested sun all day, fingers crossed the local butterflies had started to wake up!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Good shots of the Eagles Paul ! Something that i always seem to be " You should have been here 5 minutes ago " scenario !
But for me the ( very !) dark morph Buzzard steals the show............lovely bird .Looking carefully at your Eagle shots you can just make out a ring on one of them. Great Stuff !
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm with Allen - the Eagles are impressive but that dark morph Buzzard is a beaut 8) :D
"Thanks Wurzel, but it was complete luck with the Med Gull."...isn't there some adage about "the harder I work, the luckier I get"? :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks guys, had they come closer I might have been able to get a pic where the ring could be read. I did think at the time the buzzard was particularly dark.

March 2024

Friday 8th looked set to be a sunnier day all round. I was on a half day so planned to shoot off to Tottenham Marshes to see what the recent few days of mild weather had awoken. Despite various forecasts to the contrary, the cloudless came to an end around midday and by the time I arrived on site it was more cloud than sky. Thankfully there were still a few butterflies around, the first of which a reasonably fresh Red Admiral.
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
Unlike Lancing Ring the previous day, there is no shortage of nectar sources here, most of the Prunus is either in full flower or starting to go over already.
IMG_0069.JPG
After the RA It was time to tick off my first Small Tortoiseshell of the year.
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG
only half an hour after arriving the cloud cover was becoming annoyingly persistent and only gave me time for two more sightings, a Comma
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0066.JPG
And a brief sighting of a second RA. Unfortunately that was it. Likely had it stayed sunny I would have nudged double figures. Still, five species now ticked off :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good work with the sightings Bugboy :D This has definitely been one of the slower starts to the season good work grabbing every opportunity 8) I reckon that your Small Tort should count double as they'r not that common over that side of the country :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel. Not sure about the Small Tort counting as two. They may be generally scarce in the south-east, but the Lea Valley remains a stronghold and I can guarantee seeing them here every spring. They are very much butterflies of river valleys and damp meadows here now, where the nettles can still grow lush, and there’s plenty of that habitat along the rivers course.

March 2024

Saturday 16th. Well there was predicted to be some sun at least for the morning and there were no rail works going on so I was free to choose my destination. I chose Newhaven but with a view to wandering in the direction of Cuckmere Haven when things clouded over, which was predicted to be around 11am, something which I unfortunately pre-empted. I did disturb a Peacock around the ruins of the old Tidmills village.
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG
I took the coastal path on the other side of Seaford, nice scenery but probably too exposed and frustratingly the predicted cloud cover was still far away, lurking on the horizon. A Small Tortoiseshell did flutter past me but didn’t stop. Rock and Meadow Pipits joined the Skylarks singing overhead and the occasional Raven would appear above the cliff face.
Raven
Raven
Skylark
Skylark
So caught in two minds, carry on exploring pastures new or head back to tried and tested waters, choosing the latter it was somewhat predictable that the cloud arrived around the same time as I found my next butterfly on the Ouse Estuary Reserve, another Peacock. In total I found five more Peacock, two of which sat for me before the cloud took the temperature out of the air.
IMG_0170.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG
The last few hours I spent by the fort in the company of the Fulmars, Rock Pipits and Jackdaws.
Fulmar
Fulmar
IMG_0228.JPG
Noisy neighbours!
Noisy neighbours!
IMG_0300.JPG
"*#&$£~@ and don't come back" I think is the general vibe here!
"*#&$£~@ and don't come back" I think is the general vibe here!
Rock Pipit
Rock Pipit
Jackdaw
Jackdaw
No idea what's going on here!
No idea what's going on here!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

March 2024

Sunday 17th. Some forecasts suggested sun in the afternoon after yet another morning of monsoon like weather. Well, it did arrive, but not until far too late and only for about half an hour, plus I had already returned home after a little local wander. The lack of any sun meant butterflies were out of the question, but a Cetti’s Warbler did break cover to shout in public for once.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
Here’s a different view of a Goldcrest as it plucked some tiny morsel from a twig.
IMG_0035.JPG
On the way home a Coot was having a preen, flashing off its funky lobed feet.
IMG_0038.JPG
More diatribes coming as soon as the sun returns. Apparently diatribe has a new meaning where you state some facts backed up with evidence to counter an opposing view which lacks evidence. (this statement will only make sense if you saw my my recent, bizarre exchange in one of the facebook butterfly groups, there's some very huge but very delicate ego's out there :lol: )
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"No idea what's going on here!"...looks like he came back :wink: :lol:
That can't be a Cetti's surely...you can actually see most of the body :wink: :lol:
Love the lobed feet shot...I'm off to trawl through Facebook now...I've got my popcorn ready :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel. I think the Cetti’s was lost, he did have a bemused look on his face :lol: . Enjoy your popcorn :wink:

March 2024

Wednesday 20th. The sun came out this afternoon. Sadly I was at work but there was just enough during my lunch break to give me half an hour looking for some action. A male Brimstone was doing the rounds, and I came across an ovipositing Red Admiral
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I enjoyed the popcorn and the 'literature' very much, it was an entertaining read :wink: Lunch time trips are almost de rigueur for those of us still trapped in the 'wonderful world of work' :roll: :lol: Great to see the oviposting Red Admiral - they seemed to have 'moved on' round my way and I've not seen reports of them for a while now.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel. Yes work always gets in the way, but now I have 2 weeks of Jury service coming up to further complicate things, not sure whether lunch time wanders will be possible…

March 2024

Thursday 21st. Days before the forecast was promising that Thursday was going to be the sunniest day of the week. It wasn’t to be, by the time my day off arrived it looked like it was going to be pot luck as to where might be the best place to get a bit of blue sky. The draw of the countryside took me to the Amberley/Burpham hills where some early hazy sun gave way to a featureless low blanket of cloud which clung to the hills long before it had time to warm the air, butterflies were off the menu!

As I was in the area though I thought I’d try to get a better view of any Mediterranean Gulls that might still be lurking in amongst the large flock of Gulls I could hear on Burpham Meadows where I accidentally photographed one last time I was there. I found one and discovered it was with a friend. Later at home I also discovered there was a third one also lurking in the crowd that had yet to moult into its jet black hood.
Mediterranean Gulls (with Common and Black-headed)
Mediterranean Gulls (with Common and Black-headed)
Whilst sneaking up on them I disturbed a few Red Kite who were still in their night roosts, the low cloud stopped them from going high. Obviously I took a few snaps as they glided past.
IMG_0080.JPG
The cloud sort of thinned and lifted a bit after lunch but it remained gloomy. Despite this, the resident Skylarks were in fine voice and were joined by Lapwing “peewitting” as they swooped around in their display flights. I few Kite were flying around but the Buzzards didin’t seem to bother getting up. I did however come across a couple of Marsh Harriers. The first was a male who flew off into the misty hills around midday before I had a chance to grab anything better than half a dozen record shots. The second, a female, was right at the end of the day near Amberley station, calling these ones record shots is being generous!
Marsh Harriers
Marsh Harriers
A few other odds and ends seen.
Collared and Stock Doves
Collared and Stock Doves
Goldfinch
Goldfinch
Pheasant giving his best arrogant strut pose!
Pheasant giving his best arrogant strut pose!
Dunnock
Dunnock
Lapwing
Lapwing
Hopefully some sun will make an appearance at some point although with Jury service for the next fortnight, opportunities may well be slim in the foreseeable.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"but now I have 2 weeks of Jury service coming up to further complicate things" if the forecast pans out like they reckon I don't think you'll be missing much during Jury service :? Cracking set of Avian images 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:37 pm...Days before the forecast was promising that Thursday was going to be the sunniest day of the week. It wasn’t to be...
I've lost count of the number of times that's happened this year, Paul. :(

These weather patterns are becoming depressing.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Wonderful selection of photos Bugboy. Extremely impressed by folk who can identify species. I reckon with regards the hare, I would have thought it was a rabbit :roll:

I would really like to go to sleep and wake up with extensive knowledge of birds and flowers. I was shown an app for identifying bird song the other day. It was called Merlin. Apparently it is very good.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel. 1 trial down, another one started today but you’re right, the forecast this week looks perfect for sitting inside for!
You’re not wrong there David, thankfully they seemed to get it (mostly) right last weekend :) .
Thanks Chris. I’m not a fan of those apps, I feel they take all the enjoyment out of being in nature. The best teacher for learning about nature is nature itself. Personally I’m glad I didn’t grow up in the modern culture of instant gratification where you can just press a button and a random algorithm tells you what you’re looking at or listening to, where’s the fun in that :( !

March 2024

Saturday 30th, a day of season firsts. Finally a weekend of relatively fine weather looked to be coinciding with my weekend off! Off course, it coming to fruition was another thing entirely but a tentative peak through the curtain on Saturday morning gave me hope. Given I had two days to play with I’d booked myself some tickets into Sussex for the next day, leaving today to wander locally. Tottenham Marshes was the destination, via the Wetlands. No sign of Kingfishers today, in all likelihood they’re busy digging holes to nest in. Annoyingly the cloud cover was building by the minute and by the time I got to the marshes it looked like it was going to be another weather fail. Despite the cloud I found some activity in the form of a White fluttering weakly up ahead. Clearly not a Brimstone, whatever it was it was going to be a seasons debut. The weak flashes of sun as it tried to claw it’s way through the cloud gave it just enough energy to find a clump of Daisies to settle on, giving me the chance to find out it was a male Green-veined White.
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
Thankfully the sun seemed to be winning the fight up above me and the next butterfly I found was a Small Tortoiseshell fussing over some nettles.
IMG_0073.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG
I had started to think I might miss out on some of my favourite early spring images, namely Blackthorn adorned with butterflies. My local patches have plenty in supply but it all flowers very early and most of it is well on the way to coming into leaf now. However there’s always the odd patch that’s a bit delayed and it was on one of these that I found a couple of Peacock.
IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG
Also here were a few Whites. Another GVW, a female, whilst a couple of Small White became the days second season debut.
IMG_0133.JPG
As I watched the Peacocks, a smaller darker butterfly darted out to chase them. He turned out to be season debut number three, a feisty Speckled Wood, complete with distinctly orangey speckles, practically a carbon copy of the first one I found here last spring. Must be something in the water!
IMG_0144.JPG
The sun was out properly now and the Brimstones had woken up to keep the numerous Peacocks company, although none settled in my presence. Two more Speckled Wood were found, and I had an all too brief encounter with another season debutant. A male Orange-tip fluttered over some Shepherds Purse before deciding it wasn’t to his taste and buggered off through a hedge.
IMG_0229.JPG
Comma’s often vie with Peacocks to be the most numerous species at this time of year locally but so far they were rather obvious in their absence. I did finally come across a couple in a small sunlit glade that always has a couple of males fighting over possession of those particular photons.
IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0310.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG
More Whites fluttered around as the afternoon wore on, mostly unidentified but none came close to being able to tick of the Large one yet. Disappointingly only one other Small Tort was seen and he gave me the slip when he picked a fight with a passing Peacock, probably symptomatic of their poor showing last year.
IMG_0344.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0389.JPG
I ended the day back on Walthamstow Marshes where I realised I had yet to see a butterfly this year. It was now a bit late in the day but I managed to rectify that detail with a couple more Peacock feasting on some Sallow catkins, another image I thought I might have missed this year.
IMG_0413.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG
It’s always a good sign if the birds don’t get a look in. They did provide a very nice soundtrack to the day though.

Return to “Personal Diaries”