Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by bugboy »

Well I'm getting near the end of my photographic list of species I have pictures off. Tonight is a couple of pics of a Clouded yellow I managed to get in Epping Forest. As is usual with them he took me on a merry dance as I tried to get close enough to get him in frame long enough to focus. Not brilliant but it's another tick on that list. Hopefully another warm summer will bring some more this year.
Attachments
Hatch Forest, 26/7/14
Hatch Forest, 26/7/14
Hatch Forest, 26/7/14
Hatch Forest, 26/7/14

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Bugboy :D Hopefully they'll be some Cloudies around this summer - we do seem to be getting them in higher numbers recently :D

Have a goodun
Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, yes fingers crossed :)

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some Painted Ladies tonight:

one from nearly 20 years ago!
Mill Hill, North London, July '96 (slide scan)
Mill Hill, North London, July '96 (slide scan)
and 3 of the same animal, flash and no flash.
Hampstead Heath, 8/8/07
Hampstead Heath, 8/8/07
Hampstead Heath, 8/8/07
Hampstead Heath, 8/8/07
Hampstead Heath, 8/8/07
Hampstead Heath, 8/8/07

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Nice shots Bugboy roll on Spring Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Painted Lady Bugboy :D I struggled with PLs this year with only a few sightings and a couple of shots :? Still hopefully next year will be a good one :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks again Wurzel.

Here's a couple of Large Whites:
Attachments
Finchley, North London, August 2004
Finchley, North London, August 2004
Hampstead Heath, 30/4/07
Hampstead Heath, 30/4/07

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I struggled with Large Whites this year as they were very thin on the ground :( Nice shots Bugboy - I'll try and get round to getting you that info some time this wek, I haven't forgotten :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I've always struggled with Large and Small Whites but it's entirely my fault and my hatered of getting up early enough to get them before they start their daily patrolling! :oops: Must try harder this year!

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A little twitching visit to Hampstead Heath today, loads of Tit flocks with good sprinkling of Nuthatch and Treecreepers and a pair of courting Coal Tits. Goldcrest obviously had a good 2014 and was close enough to sex a pair without the aid of binoculars! Also a very nice flock of Redwings let me get close, at least 100 of them and a total of 35 species in all.

Anyway, butterflies, Small Whites:
Attachments
Walthamstow Marshes, 27/7/14
Walthamstow Marshes, 27/7/14
Tottenham Marshes, 19/10/14
Tottenham Marshes, 19/10/14
Box Hill, 20/8/14
Box Hill, 20/8/14

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Tonight is my favourite harbringer of spring, the Orange Tip. I only have slide scans, having been extremely and embarrassingly slack in getting pics since going digital.
orange tip und.jpg
25/4/02 Finchley, North London.
May 2004, Finchley, North London.
May 2004, Finchley, North London.
As you can see I quite liked using flash back then!

Well anyway, for those that are still following my diary that, in 5 pages, is all the species I have photographed in the UK so far. I have caught glimpses of a couple of others, a purple Emperor whizzing over my head last year on Box Hill and Walls were pretty common where I grew up but haven't seen one of those for years, that will change this year :)

Still awaiting my first lepidopteran encounter for 2015 but that is hopefully only a few weeks away and this year will most definately be a butterfly year for me after dusting of my camera last summer and remembering what I've been missing!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I've had sightings around the 16th Feb for the last three years now so hopefully the your/our first sigthing won't be far away now :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Well today did seem very springlike in my neck of the woods, still no butterfly sightings but I suspect if this weather stays there may well be a flurry of activity very soon, fingers crossed :) .

Had a very good day out birdwatching on Satuday, total of 55 species on my local patch (equalling my personal record) and my first wild male Goldeneye who looked stunning swimming on a local resevoir.

So to eek out my catalogue of pictures until I start getting new ones here's some early stages I've managed to get over the years.
Silver Spotted Skipper, Box Hill, 20/8/14
Silver Spotted Skipper, Box Hill, 20/8/14
Holly Blue eggs, Dollis Valley walk, 8/04
Holly Blue eggs, Dollis Valley walk, 8/04
Common Blue female and freshly laid egg, Dollis Valley walk, 10'6'07
Common Blue female and freshly laid egg, Dollis Valley walk, 10'6'07
Small White egg, Walthamstow Marshes, 27/7/14
Small White egg, Walthamstow Marshes, 27/7/14
Comma Egg, Lea valley Park, 23/7/14
Comma Egg, Lea valley Park, 23/7/14
Comma Larvae, Burford meadow - Box Hill, 22/7/14
Comma Larvae, Burford meadow - Box Hill, 22/7/14
I vaguely remember this one looking a bit odd and since I recorded it as being seen in October I suspect it could have been dead/parasitized.
Comma Pupae, Dollis Valley walk, 10/01.
Comma Pupae, Dollis Valley walk, 10/01.
Speckled Wood eggs, Walthamstow Marshes, 19/9/14
Speckled Wood eggs, Walthamstow Marshes, 19/9/14
Small Tortoiseshell Larvae, Finchley, 7/03
Small Tortoiseshell Larvae, Finchley, 7/03

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Buggy,

Nice photos, especially the Speckled Wood ovum.

All the best, Nick.

David M

Post by David M »

Yes, lovely images, Bugboy. Nice to see something different.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks guys :) still not a patch on your early stage pics though Nick!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting images Buggy :mrgreen: I'll have to try and get my eyes in for the early stages this year - I find that I ither over or under estimate their size :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, I got the Comma and Speckled pics because I saw the female laying them.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A couple of grey cold days in London so not much chance of any butterlfy activity at the moment.

I am slowly getting some of my favourite slides from back in the day digitised, with mixed results but here's a couple that came back looking good, Both taken in 2004 along the Dollis Valley walk in North London:

An Orange Tip egg
Orange Tip egg, Dollis Valley walk, May '04.jpg
And a young larvae, 1st instar (thanks Nick for confirming age)
Orange Tip larvae, Dollis Valley walk, May '04.jpg
Last edited by bugboy on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Buggy,

your Orange-tip larva is a 1st instar.

All the best Nick.

Return to “Personal Diaries”