Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Maximus

Post by David M »

The weather seems fairly grim almost everywhere in Europe right now, Mike, so you have to make the most of the few opportunities that present themselves.

Nice to see you did just that with the Green Hairstreak.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Cheers, Wurzel, I understand what you mean about the hill :wink: but the weather has just gone back to bad again :roll: Hope to bump into you sometime this season too :D

I guess that South Wales has the same cool weather, David? Yesterday was on of those days that you just had to make the most of, it's now back to 'normal' again!

Five Rivers has been producing the 'goods' for us in those small periods of sunshine, in spite of the horrendous strong breezes we have been experiencing lately. It's given us our first Small Whites, Green-veined Whites and Speckled Woods of the season.

P1460208Resize.JPG
P1460325Resize.JPG
P1460339Resize.JPG

In addition Orange-tips have posed nicely, at last, to enable some reasonable shots to be obtained.

P1460347Resize.JPG
P1460355Resize.JPG

During our walk this morning there was the bonus of a Cuckoo calling nearby and many Blackcaps and Chiff-chaffs in song.

P1460184Resize.JPG

Blackcap and Reed Warbler?
Blackcap and Reed Warbler?
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm chuffed that you could understand the word salad of my previous comment Maximus - I think quicker than I can type :lol:
Also chuffed that Five Rivers is coming on, back in mid April I had 10 species there :D Love the OT shots and good ID with the Reed Warbler- it can't be a Cetti's as you can actually see it :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Wurzel, you made yourself very clear, in a roundabout kind of way :lol: There seem to be quite a few Cetti's around at FR, but as you say they are heard but not seen :lol:

Noar Hill 30th April

Having seen the very favourable weather forecast for Selborne for Tuesday 30th we set off from Wiltshire, skirted Winchester, before heading for one of our favourite sites, Noar Hill near Selborne. I knew that Dukes had been spotted there about a week or so earlier, so we were in with a good chance of seeing a few. Arriving at Noar around midday, it was full sun and eighteen degrees with a stiffish breeze in the lane as we parked. There were already half a dozen cars parked up but some were possibly dog walkers. We headed up the rutted lane on the North West side of the site and entered through the first gate into the site proper. We had only gone about twenty metres and there were our first two Dukes. At the same time a guided party of half a dozen people carrying cameras and binoculars appeared around the corner to exit at the gate we had just come in through. We waited while they took some photos and had a good look through their binoculars before we moved slowly on. It only took a few more steps before we found another Duke and this time took some shots. It was four years almost to the day since we were last here so we made the most of this moment spent in the company of a lovely little rare butterfly.

P1460235.jpgAResize.JPG

We spent a very enjoyable afternoon searching the sheltered corners of the many flint pits. We saw in total 10 to fifteen Dukes and two Duchesses. It reminded us of times past and of the many visits we have made to this lovely site. Lets hope that the Duke of Burgundy frequents these slopes for many years to come.

P1460257Resize.JPG
P1460276Resize.JPG
P1460260Resize.JPG
P1460288Resize.JPG

This Duchess was either still inflating her wings or had a problem with them not inflating fully, she was certainly able to fly..

P1460251Resize.JPG

this was the icing on the cake...

P1460239Resize.JPG

and a couple of context shots..

P1450750Resize.JPG
P1450748Resize.JPG

There were many Brimstones across the site, we also saw a single Dingy Skipper..but alas no shots, plenty of male Orange-tips and several Holly Blues. We also heard our first Cuckoo of the year. All in all a brilliant day out.

Holly Blue ovipositing on Dogwood.
Holly Blue ovipositing on Dogwood.
A male Orange-tip paused long enough for a shot on our way out.
A male Orange-tip paused long enough for a shot on our way out.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Brilliant shot of the mating Duke and Duchess, Maximus.

What has ten legs and four wings? :D

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
millerd

Post by millerd »

Great shots from Noar Hill, Mike - it was a toss-up for me on Monday whether to head down there or head north to the Chilterns...I chose the latter and had a good day, but it looks like you probably had the best deal in the end! I shall no doubt visit Cotley when Wurzel sends up the smoke signals, so may well bump into you there.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Maximus 8) especially the 'icing on the cake' :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It's been a few years since I've visited Noar Hill but your context shots brought back a load of great memories :D

Have a goodun

Wurezl
David M

Post by David M »

Maximus wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:45 pm...I guess that South Wales has the same cool weather, David?
Been awful, Mike, although I've been in Spain for over a week now (where it has been largely cool and cloudy too).

Finally though, things have picked up, although given I'm in Almeria that's perhaps not surprising.

Nice work with the Dukes. :mrgreen:
trevor

Post by trevor »

If you are exploring Wiltshire, Mike, I have a recommendation.
Tilshead, on the A360 from Salisbury. Leave the A360 at the far end of village ( by the garage ).
Head straight on up the hill until you see a large concrete parking area on your right.
It's military land with public access. Brilliant for Common, Adonis & Small blues + Brown Argus.
Walls, Dingy and Grizzled Skippers can also be found. It's a nice flat easy site.

As others have said, great work with the Dukes.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Guy, :) Ten legs and four wings, it's a cracker :lol:

Cheers, Dave, you did very well in the Chilterns, looks like you had a great day. Hope to see you at Cotley if we are still in Salisbury at that time :?

Cheers, Wurzel, Noar is a great site, glad the shots brought back some good memories for you :D Can't be long before you post some Wiltshire Dukes :wink: :?:

Glad you finally found some good weather, David, hope that your trip to Spain was fruitful :?:

Thank you for the site recommendation, Trevor, might get a chance to visit later this week, if the rain ever stops :roll: :D

France 2023 part 2

Our hosts at Moulin de Pensol where we stayed for a few nights B and B, recommended a visit to an abandoned quarry about a half hours drive from them. We were not early birds that day and enjoyed a fabulous breakfast, which meant that it was already really hot when we arrived at our destination. In a small field next to the quarry we found loads of Blues flying, both Common and Adonis but they were barely stopping at all. With no cloud cover there was very little chance of any half decent shots, so after spending some time here we moved on into the quarry.

P1070979Resize.JPG
P1440401Resize.JPG
P1440392Resize.JPG
P1070978Resize.JPG
P1070987Resize.JPG

The quarry itself was fairly bereft of butterflies and we only saw these two species..

Ilex Hairstreak.
Ilex Hairstreak.
Pearly Heath.
Pearly Heath.

but they were both new species for the year, perhaps in a good year there would be more?
The only other thing of note we saw were a couple of Orchids...

P1440414Resize.JPG
Bee Orchid.
Bee Orchid.
Pyramidal Orchid.
Pyramidal Orchid.

This theme of finding low butterfly numbers (for us) in France in 2023, continued through our month-long trip, although there were a couple of exceptions.
The next day up bright and early we headed for the Dordogne.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Pearly Heath Maximus 8) I'm looking forward to seeing what the Dordogne has to offer as I visited there a few years back :D Closer to home; I have seen a couple of Wiltshire Dukes - coming to my PD around July :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Maximus wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:30 pm...Glad you finally found some good weather, David, hope that your trip to Spain was fruitful...
Thanks, Mike. This second week has been a cracker.

Looking forward to your further instalments from France.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Cheers, Wurzel, the Dordogne should have plenty to offer, I hope :wink: :) Glad you've seen a couple of Dukes, but it looks like a long wait to see their portraits :lol:

Glad you had a great second week, David, look forward to seeing your write up :)

A couple of Wiltshire beauties, seen yesterday. Both took a bit of finding but it was well worth the effort in the end :)

P1070681Resize.JPG
P1070690Resize.JPG

Today was a different story, we spent couple of hours at Bentley and it was really hard work, they just didn't want to play ball :roll:

P1460456Resize.JPG

Three or four seen and this record shot is all I could manage :roll: Give it a week and hopefully a few more will have emerged 8)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see the Duke and Grizzlie Maximus :D Also really good to see the Pearls out, a case of better late than never :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Grizzled Skipper, Duke of Burgundy and Pearl Bordered Fritillary are three excellent May butterflies, Mike. Looks like you're getting to grips with your local area.

Return to “Personal Diaries”