Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Maximus

Post by Wurzel »

I do love a Sooty Copper Maximus :D :mrgreen: That's another species that we could do with over here :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Sooty Copper is an enviable garden visitor, Mike. How I wish we had them over here, and as you say, but for that continuous stretch of water, we almost certainly would.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Finally back online. Computer problems, motherboard failure and monitor, at the same time, really confused the issue and took some sorting out :roll: But that's life. tant pis :)
Also a trip back to UK to visit family and then family visiting us prevented much butterfly activity, but not all.

Wednesday 6th June.

We spotted a Large Tortoiseshell outside our door, nectaring on verbena on monday 27th June. Problem was that my camera was inside and the only way to get it was to disturb the Large Tort, which it did and it flew away never to be seen again :)
Today I spotted a Large Tort in the garden which landed in the shade, wings open, only problem was camera in the house. So legged it back and got it and on return found LT still on field shelter door. Of course as soon as I focussed on the beast it flew**//**.
Two hours later I spotted the/a LT flying over the polytunnel towards the same field shelter. Unfortunately I didn't see the strimmer lead as I was focussed...so went flying and bashed my eye on the ground, seriously bending my glasses and getting a black eye in the bargain :lol:
Not to be deterred I made my way to the field shelter in time to get one very poor, but hard earned shot of the beast as it disappeared through the gap at the top of a door. Looked inside but it flew out and away, was it looking for a suitable place to spend winter hibernation :?:

Best shot of LT I managed.
Best shot of LT I managed.
Field shelter where LT was seen.
Field shelter where LT was seen.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

should have been Wednesday 6th July, not June :lol:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"should have been Wednesday 6th July, not June :lol:" that'll be the concussion... :? :oops: :wink:
The Large Torts are really making you work Miximus :roll: seems your due a cracking grounded shot soon :D and your shot is infinitely better than I've got...four or five sightings with not a single shot :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Good to welcome you back after your computer issues, Mike, and all the better for you serving up a Large Tortoiseshell. :mrgreen:
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

It could have been the concussion, Wurzel :? but now i've also got a shoulder problem from my 'trip' which is stopping me sleeping at night. Ice pack later :shock:

Thanks, David, the LT cost me dear :o and software issues have stopped me from posting since then. Hopefully I'm now on top of those :lol:

19th May, Isle of Wight

We returned to the UK in May to visit family that we had not seen since we moved to France. As we would be arriving/staying in Portsmouth for several nights, it made complete sense to take a day trip to the Isle of Wight. Next morning found us aboard the 8am Wightlink ferry heading for Fishbourne. Once docked we headed for Ventnor stopping for breakfast along the way. Wheelers bay is normally a reliable spot for Glanville Fritillaries so that's where we headed. We hadn't visited for a few years, but it didn't take long to find a Glanville. The coastal breeze was quite strong here today and it made the butterflies a bit skittish, but we soon had shots of some males.

Glanville Fritillary male, Wheelers bay.

We then found this pale individual, which soon disappeared up the cliff face, but not before we had got a couple of shots in the bag. Always disappointing when ab's don't stay long, but that's the way it goes :)

Pale Glanville male.
Pale Glanville male.

Pale Glanville male.
Pale Glanville male.

After moving along a bit we finally found some female Glanville Frits.

Female Glanville Frit.
Female Glanville Frit.
Female Glanville Frit.
Female Glanville Frit.

And to finish a shot of this lovely location.

Wheelers Bay.
Wheelers Bay.

This was a great start to our IOW trip :)
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

The exact spot where I saw my first ever Glanville Mike - brings back some happy memories :) . Great images.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great to see your hard won Large Tort shot Mike, you'll remember that one!.
Good decision to visit the IOW when you were so close anyway. Great shots.

Trevor.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Pauline wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:07 pm The exact spot where I saw my first ever Glanville Mike - brings back some happy memories :) . Great images.
Same here :D That was a few years ago now, it's about time I returned again for another visit.

Hope you are getting over the results of your Large Tortoiseshell 'trip'.

Cheers,

Neil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry to hear about the shoulder Maximus :? I hope it sorts itself/get sorted soon. Those Galnvilles are a cracking sight to behold - especially the pale one - what a cracker 8) :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Hope your IT issues are behind you, Mike. Lovely Glanvilles, although I'm sure you must have those fairly locally to you.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Pauline, glad that shot of wheelers bay brought back some happy memories for you :)

The Large Tort is one i will not forget in a hurry, Trevor :lol: The IOW was a no brainer :)

Yes you should go back next year, Neil, they are a lovely frit :) Still compromised from the LT 'trip' :roll:

Glanvilles great, shoulder not so great, but hopefully time will heal it :lol:

Recently we've had a few Clouded Yellows in our garden. First an obliging male, nectaring on knapweed.

Clouded Yellow male.
Clouded Yellow male.
Clouded Yellow male.
Clouded Yellow male.

and a female calmly posing on an oxeye daisy.

Clouded Yellow female.
Clouded Yellow female.

And then a Helice (female) turned up and decided to egg lay on some birds foot trefoil in our herb garden. These shots are not the best as I didn't want to scare her off.

P1410096Resize.JPG
The first egg she laid can be seen below her.
The first egg she laid can be seen below her.

And then the other morning this obliging beauty was sitting outside our front door..

P1070695.jpgaResize.JPG

And some poor shots of the fresh CY eggs.

P1070637Resize.JPG
P1070638Resize.JPG

But that is the best I could manage :) The eggs have now hatched and I will keep my eyes peeled for the cats.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Wow! You've excelled yourself with those shots Mike. I just love that Clouded Yellow on the Oxeye daisy and that Swallowtail is stunning. I would be very proud to have taken them :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Fabulous compositions.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I've never seen a Helice, let alone photographed one...let ALONE had one in my garden! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: And then that Swallowtail 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I must start looking at properties in France...

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That gorganus is to die for, Mike. :mrgreen: Rare for them to pose with wings fully flat like that.

Saw a Clouded Yellow myself in south Wales this morning. Perhaps it was one of yours? :)
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

Gorgeous photos Maximus, especially the Swallowtail. :mrgreen: Thanks for sharing them.

Sarah.
trevor

Post by trevor »

I guess that's something you are just going to have to get used to Mike, exotica visiting your garden.
You are in the enviable position of not knowing what treat is going to turn up next.

Lovely shots :mrgreen:
Trevor.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Pauline, glad you liked the Cloudie and the Swallowtail, I see that you’ve been to your Cloudie heaven in the meantime :D

I have only ever seen one Helice before, Wurzel, some years ago at Ballard Down. Glad to see you finally found one. The Swallowtail was sitting on Verbena just outside our door, all I had to do was get a shot without scaring him off :lol:

The gorganus was very well behaved, David, as I moved in for the shot I think he sensed I was there and lifted his forewings and flattened out just as I took the shot, perhaps to make himself appear larger. Glad you finally encountered some Cloudies in Wales. They are obviously having a good year everywhere and we have had loads visiting our garden.
Not sure where our nearest colony of Glanville Fritillaries is, big coastline around the Manche, it’s knowing where to look. Not so many enthusiasts here to share sightings and the only book that I’ve found that’s specific to Normandy with distribution details etc. is out of print.

Thank you , Sarah, I saw your excellent britannicus Swallowtail shot from Strumpshaw in the June sightings. We visited Norfolk a few years ago and although we saw a few Swallowtails, I didn’t manage any decent shots. It’s much easier when they are in your garden.

Yes it’s terrible, Trevor, not knowing what you’re going to find in your garden next :roll: :)

We’ve been very busy of late as our gite has been fully booked until recently. I have still managed to take the camera on my walks around our garden, which at an acre and a half has many different facets to suit different species of butterflies. Unfortunately I’ve fallen down on posting reports in my PD, until now.

August

After the Helice sighting on 29th July things went quiet here for several weeks which probably had something to do with the high temperatures that we were experiencing. Then around the middle of August a few butterflies began to appear. Several Small Coppers, Large Whites, Speckled Woods and Red Admirals.

Small Copper.
Small Copper.
Small Copper.
Small Copper.
Large White.
Large White.
Speckled Wood.
Speckled Wood.
Red Admiral.
Red Admiral.

Another Swallowtail appeared on 18th, which was to be the last we would see this year and there were no August Swallowtail cats on any of the fennel which was struggling in the hot conditions (last year there were loads). Also seen was a fresh looking lone Painted Lady on 22nd which hung around for a day.

Swallowtail.
Swallowtail.
Swallowtail.
Swallowtail.
Painted Lady.
Painted Lady.

Although I had seen that the Clouded Yellow eggs had hatched and even though I looked every day I was unable to find any signs of cats… until 21st August. I’d kind of given up but as I walked past the herb garden that afternoon I had a quick glance and there he was and final instar by the look of him. When I examined where he was it was obvious really, the feeding damage was in plain sight, don’t know how I missed it.

Clouded Yellow cat, final instar.
Clouded Yellow cat, final instar.
Clouded Yellow cat, final instar and feeding damage.
Clouded Yellow cat, final instar and feeding damage.

The following day I looked but he’d disappeared, hopefully to pupate.
About ten days later at 5.30pm I spotted a Clouded yellow not far from where the eggs had ben laid, as I carefully approached I could see he was very fresh, probably not long emerged. I took a couple of shots and then left him in peace, he was gone the following morning. It would be nice to think that he was linked to the cat I found.

Clouded Yellow male.
Clouded Yellow male.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A great set of images Maximus :D I love the final image with the light shining through the upperwings 8) and the Swallowtail - sublime :shock: 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”